Madajet-lots of dentists use it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a 2nd year Dental Student and this was the first time I had ever heard of "Madajet." Perhaps that is an indication of its frequency of use. Personally, Malumed (Handbook of Local Anesthesia, 5th Edition) says that Madajet does not provide adequate anesthesia for pulpal procedures or regional blocks...basically it sounds like a $600 replacement for topical. If I still have to use a "big scary needle" anyway, why wouldn't I just opt for the delicious cherry flavored topical and save my patients a few bucks?

Sorry, I had never heard of Carl Zeiss lenses in loupes before...I guess you must be more picky than me. My orascoptic loupes cost about $700 through the school. I think they will charge you more like a grand if you go it alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you inject it if there's no needle?

Last edited:
This device is similar to that which was used by the US military for mass immunizations of soldiers. I believe it uses high pressure (pneumatic?) to force the substance (often vaccine) into a person. The problem with using this for local anesthesia is the anesthetic/vaccine/solution will not penetrate deep enough to reach the nerve you desire to block. I believe it only penetrates into the dermis. So it may only be useful for a very small infiltration.

The device the military used resembles a paint ball gun and probably sounds like one too. The madajet looks more humane than the military's version, but I think it may freak out the patient even more than a needle. Needles can be very comfortable if you have good technique, especially if you know how to calm the patient before giving an injection. Of course I've never seen an OMS take more than 2 seconds to give a full cartridge. HA! I love it. But hey their patients are so high on midazolam it doesn't matter.

drhobie7 said:
Of course I've never seen an OMS take more than 2 seconds to give a full cartridge. HA!
2 seconds!? That's one second too long. Must be a slow-poke...

Last edited: