Made the wrong career decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afterwords

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Please may I ask for some advice. I am currently a med-peds PGY-1 (intern), but I think I made a mistake picking my career. I love my medicine program and want to do categorical medicine, however I am not sure how to approach all this with my program director or with the medicine program director.

My med-peds prog is very small (only 4 of us), so I feel bad saying I want to leave. What if somehow the categorical medicine program does not have room for me when I ask? It will make the rest of my time at this program hard.

I do not like some of the other mediciine programs in the area, and I am bound to my area b.c. of family reasons, so I don't think I should apply through ERAS and all that. On the other hand, I don't want to be as miserable as I am right now in Peds!!

Please advice on how might I be able to deal with all this? What may be the best way to approach this with my PD vs medicine PD? Should I talk to them? Has this (i.e. staying at the same institution but switching programs) been done before? Is it too weird? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would talk to your PD first. You are not the first to have a crisis in med/peds and want to pursue only one of them. If you use all your elective time towards adult medicine you will get mostly PGY-1 credit for IM and will only need to make up a few blocks (hopefully). You and your PD will need to decide whether you will finish out the year, or resign prior to the end. once you have spoken to your PD, you'll talk to the IM PD and see if there is room.

All of this assumes your PD is a reasonable person, not a tyrant as usually is suggested here on SDN.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

A leader worth quoting

Hello everyone,

Please may I ask for some advice. I am currently a med-peds PGY-1 (intern), but I think I made a mistake picking my career. I love my medicine program and want to do categorical medicine, however I am not sure how to approach all this with my program director or with the medicine program director.

My med-peds prog is very small (only 4 of us), so I feel bad saying I want to leave. What if somehow the categorical medicine program does not have room for me when I ask? It will make the rest of my time at this program hard.

I do not like some of the other mediciine programs in the area, and I am bound to my area b.c. of family reasons, so I don't think I should apply through ERAS and all that. On the other hand, I don't want to be as miserable as I am right now in Peds!!

Please advice on how might I be able to deal with all this? What may be the best way to approach this with my PD vs medicine PD? Should I talk to them? Has this (i.e. staying at the same institution but switching programs) been done before? Is it too weird? Please help!

Some Med/Peds graduates just do either peds or medicine. However, since you are in intern year I would wait until you have finished at least one year before you decide. But when you do I am sure it will be okay with the PD, just remember that other med/peds residents will chastize you for "going to the dark side" and leaving med/peds. . .