Magna Cum Laude

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was wondering if putting down Magna Cum Laude for award section on apps is a good idea..
I actually got the award from magnacumlaude.org website called The National Scholars Honors Society.

Can you guys look at www.magnacumlaude.org and tell me if this is necessary to put down on my app? Also my overall GPA is 3.45 but I've received magna cum lade like 2 years ago. I had 3.55 GPA then. i dunno how i got in

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

When I think of Magna Cum-Laude, it isn't something coming from some website, it is coming from the school you are attending. I personally wouldn't put that down because in my eyes, it isn't terribly legit.

Members don't see this ad :)
An award is an award imho. If you got room then I would have put it on there, although it might confuse the committee because they'd think its from the school. Just be clear about it and be ready to explain its merits. I put BLS and ACLS certifications in the award sections and some interviewers applauded me in the interview about them. As long as you're clear and not lying about anything, I think you're fine. Something legitimate is better than a blank space in this competitive cycle. But that's just my opinion (worked for me at the very least).

An award is an award imho. If you got room then I would have put it on there, although it might confuse the committee because they'd think its from the school. Just be clear about it and be ready to explain its merits. I put BLS and ACLS certifications in the award sections and some interviewers applauded me in the interview about them. As long as you're clear and not lying about anything, I think you're fine. Something legitimate is better than a blank space in this competitive cycle. But that's just my opinion (worked for me at the very least).

thanks.
its just a society that i was offered into and I registered.
I think I can put this down under club/activity section instead of award section right?

Yeah this is going to be somewhat awkward I think if its brought up in an interview. You can almost guarantee most activities and awards will be brought up at least once over the duration of all your interviews. Im thinking it wouldnt necessarily be that bad to place it in the award section but the awkward part would be if it came up in the interview. What would you tell them? If you say its some organization that has a website that you signed up and registered for, that starts to sound like "fluff" on your resume. Thats my 2 cents. I definitely wouldnt put it in the club or activity cuz what did you do with them? If you werent active in it, why put it in?

national scholars honor society is just something that most people receive in the mail and they ask for money. i lived in a house with 6 others and we all received it in the mail (and some of my friends didn't even have 3.0 GPA)
i would only put it if i have nothing to put on award section.
if you were on deans list or honors list from the University, now that's what they like to see

national scholars honor society is just something that most people receive in the mail and they ask for money. i lived in a house with 6 others and we all received it in the mail (and some of my friends didn't even have 3.0 GPA)
if you were on deans list or honors list from the University, now that's what they like to see

Ya it's kind of like Golden Key, except golden key you need like 3.5+ and pay like 75 bucks to get in I think.

Well.. for award section..
I have um..
4th placed intramurals basketball in 2008
dean's scholarship
5 times dean's list
I guess these are the only awards i have.
So, do you recommend putting magna cum laude down under reward section or no?
thanks!

Well.. for award section..
I have um..
4th placed intramurals basketball in 2008
dean's scholarship
5 times dean's list
I guess these are the only awards i have.
So, do you recommend putting magna cum laude down under reward section or no?
thanks!

I think those are strong enough awards to have on your award list.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about putting it there since you already have dean's scholarship and dean's list. But since you have strong awards on there, I guess it wouldn't really hurt to put it down either (at first I was thinking that Magna Cum Laude would be the only thing on there)

magna cum laude is a title received upon graduation from your university. plain and simple.

If you put that you purchased the title online on your aadsas, you can bet that it will come up in your interview and that it will actually hurt your chances of acceptance because they are going to think you're a ***** (no offense).

Don't put it in and it's not going to change anything for the worse... however, put it in and the odds of an admissions comittee looking poorly on it are fairly likely imo.

magna cum laude is a title received upon graduation from your university. plain and simple.

If you put that you purchased the title online on your aadsas, you can bet that it will come up in your interview and that it will actually hurt your chances of acceptance because they are going to think you're a ***** (no offense).

Don't put it in and it's not going to change anything for the worse... however, put it in and the odds of an admissions comittee looking poorly on it are fairly likely imo.

Okay.
But it's like a society though.
Magna Cum Laude is like a society where they give out scholarships to ppl.
I think it's pretty legit in terms of giving out scholarships.
But, I am not expecting to get scholarship..
Then, can I put it as The National Scholars Honors Society instead of Magna Cum Laude? Will this cause less confusion to the interviewers?

Okay.
But it's like a society though.
Magna Cum Laude is like a society where they give out scholarships to ppl.
I think it's pretty legit in terms of giving out scholarships.
But, I am not expecting to get scholarship..
Then, can I put it as The National Scholars Honors Society instead of Magna Cum Laude? Will this cause less confusion to the interviewers?

In all honesty, if it's this debatable and there are so many questions about it, you probably should just NOT put it in.

personally, i wouldnt place the magna cum laude on your awards section unless it is legit from the university. also, 4th place intramurals? if i were an adcomm looking at that i would be like "what is this doing here?" if you were intending to show your well roundedness, i would just stick it with your extracurricular activities, not trying to bash, just my opinion.

personally, i wouldnt place the magna cum laude on your awards section unless it is legit from the university. also, 4th place intramurals? if i were an adcomm looking at that i would be like "what is this doing here?" if you were intending to show your well roundedness, i would just stick it with your extracurricular activities, not trying to bash, just my opinion.

I agree here.

Magna Cum Laude is an HONOR you earn by obtaining a certain overall GPA at graduation from your university/college. A person cannot BUY the title like the OP did by joining the National Scholars Honor Society. For people like myself who actually earned the honor Magna Cum Laude, it is almost offensive to think you would consider that as an honor you earned.

As far as the 4th place intermurals, I agree, I wouldn't put that in there. 4th place in what? Intermurals can be so many things. Placing that in the honors section seems like you are desperate to add something to the honors section and you are just padding the application. Don't do it. If anything, you can mention in the activities section you did the intermurals and placed 4th there - not in the honors section.

I agree here.

Magna Cum Laude is an HONOR you earn by obtaining a certain overall GPA at graduation from your university/college. A person cannot BUY the title like the OP did by joining the National Scholars Honor Society. For people like myself who actually earned the honor Magna Cum Laude, it is almost offensive to think you would consider that as an honor you earned.

As far as the 4th place intermurals, I agree, I wouldn't put that in there. 4th place in what? Intermurals can be so many things. Placing that in the honors section seems like you are desperate to add something to the honors section and you are just padding the application. Don't do it. If anything, you can mention in the activities section you did the intermurals and placed 4th there - not in the honors section.
alright!
thanks guys.