magna/summa/cum laude as honors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zellyen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I am lacking in the awards/honors section, I am going to resort to using the Latin Honors as one of them... my question is, since they don't give us a spot for description, do I just put Magna Cum Laude as the name of the honor? Seems kind of... short to me :X or should i put something along the lines of Distinction in General Scholarship blah blah blah....

for people who put cum laude's as honors, what did u guys do

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that it would necessarily add anything to your application, meaning that if your GPA is high enough to receive one of those awards it already speaks for itself. Also, I think the GPA cut-offs for summa, magna, etc. are more or less standardized.

That being said, it definitely won't hurt at all (and filling up all the available slots always makes everyone feel better about their application). My advice would be to go with the basic "______ Cum Laude" though. The flowery language is probably unnecessary and could be misinterpreted as trying to make an award sound fancier than it really is.

That's just my two cents. I'd be curious to see what others have to say about this.

I used my "Summa Cum Laude" under Awards, Honors and Scholarships.
I just wrote it as is.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
If your degree is posted, put the exact thing written on it or go to your transcript and put the exact thing, if it says Highest Honors, then put highest honors. also, dmitriyivanov don't they use highest honors at UC?

I used my "Summa Cum Laude" under Awards, Honors and Scholarships.
I just wrote it as is.:thumbup:

That's what I did.

My 1st degree I wrote "Cum Laude ____degree earned/school/year___"
My 2nd degree I wrote "Magna Cum Laude ____degree earned/school/year___"

If your degree is posted, put the exact thing written on it or go to your transcript and put the exact thing, if it says Highest Honors, then put highest honors. also, dmitriyivanov don't they use highest honors at UC?

Yes you are right, my diploma states "Highest Honors", but I still used Summa Cum Laude in my application (which is exactly the same thing, just in latin) :laugh:......