Mailing secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secants

about:blank
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

For the secondaries that you must snail mail, are you guys using the standard envelope and folding the papers or sending it straight in a larger document type envelope? Also, I am naive to assume I can just slap a stamp or two and hope it gets to each school or should I not take the chance and use first class or a pricier method?

Thank you and GL.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldnt fold the papers...just use a large envelope. I just send everything in the flat rate priority mail envelopes for ease.

I think a normal stamp is fine, as is a small envelope. You're spending enough on med school apps already. No reason to spend an extra $4 on postage when a 44 cent stamp suffices.

Members don't see this ad :)
i shall do whatever is cheapest.

Yeah, I'm kind of on a tight budget as it is so I'm going to have to save wherever I can. Sending it in a bigger envelope makes it seem more important and valuable instead of the standard envelope so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that yet

I tri-folded mine. For one of the two schools I had to snail mail my secondary I sent a wrinkled and unevenly cut picture. I was accepted to both of the schools, going to show that these little tiny things that we all can't help but freak out about (myself included) such as folding do not matter :)

I sent everything priority mail with delivery confirmation. It got expensive, but my sanity was worth it :)

I sent everything priority mail with delivery confirmation. It got expensive, but my sanity was worth it :)
Most schools dont have snail mail apps anyways. It wouldnt be that expensive sending it prio mail. I agree with you though....sanity:thumbup:. you could always use a manilla envelope or something to make it cheaper. 1st class mail is like 2 dollars or less.

I tri-folded mine. For one of the two schools I had to snail mail my secondary I sent a wrinkled and unevenly cut picture. I was accepted to both of the schools, going to show that these little tiny things that we all can't help but freak out about (myself included) such as folding do not matter :)

:thumbup:

if you keep copies of your stuff, what does it matter? if you find that they haven't received your app, having confirmation that it was sent doesn't really matter. you can just re-send it at that point. it's not like a legal thing where you need to prove it was sent and arrived on such and such a date.

tri fold.

you think those mother****ers give a ****?

Also, remember to take into account that most people are applying to a bunch of medical schools within 200 miles of where they live. It's usually the same time to send things via snail mail as it is Priority for close locations.

If you're really worried about "folding" send in a bigger envelope and add the extra stamp or two. They'll get the secondary.

SDN's full of high rollers with their fancy priority mail flats.

Except for schools like Tulane that want a paper copy of the AMCAS, I sent everything in a standard envelope trifolded. Then again I was also soundly rejected.

So priority mail, you say? :)

if you keep copies of your stuff, what does it matter? if you find that they haven't received your app, having confirmation that it was sent doesn't really matter. you can just re-send it at that point. it's not like a legal thing where you need to prove it was sent and arrived on such and such a date.

It's how I choose to mail anything of importance.

SDN's full of high rollers with their fancy priority mail flats.

Except for schools like Tulane that want a paper copy of the AMCAS, I sent everything in a standard envelope trifolded. Then again I was also soundly rejected.

So priority mail, you say? :)

lol for me and u koko any "advantage" we can get we are going to need:laugh:. I just think folding something that is this important is not very professional and I know if i was an adcom i wouldnt want to read a crumbled piece of paper...I guess in the end like damn near everything it doesnt matter. As long as that GPA says 3.8 and the mcat says 35 no one gives a ****:p

lol for me and u koko any "advantage" we can get we are going to need:laugh:. I just think folding something that is this important is not very professional and I know if i was an adcom i wouldnt want to read a crumbled piece of paper...I guess in the end like damn near everything it doesnt matter. As long as that GPA says 3.8 and the mcat says 35 no one gives a ****:p

ha, if only.