Main topics for Organic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched and I searched, but I could not find anything.

Could someone give a brief (or detailed, if you prefer) list of the main Orgranic topics that are to be covered on the test? I know that the MCAT has decreased its emphasis on Organic is general, but that doesn't explain what topics are still of concern.

Right now I'm studying from the "Organic Chemistry as a Second Langauge" books, but I think there are unnecessary topics in here that I am wasting my time studying, which is causing a bit of panic as time passes and test dates grow closer.

I'm a engineer working full-time and I took Organic like 7 years ago. I don't rememeber a whole lot so its taking me a while to understand everything. So far, I have covered Organic 1 and almost half of Organic 2 from these books. Do you think that this is enough? Should I just stop reading these books and move on to practice questions and figure out what the heavy-emphasis topics are from there? I know these books don't cover NMR and spectroscopy (which I assume is a fairly big concept) so I'd have study those still.

Any help, thoughts, ideas, and comments would be GREATLY appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

get a kaplan review book(or any other review book for that matter) at your local bookstore and check out the orgo section. most of the important topics are stated and reviewed so you'll get an overall idea on what to study for.

Are these two topics covered on the MCAT:

Wittig rxn
Grignard reagent

Neither the TPR nor the EK seem to contain these in their review, but I found some questions on them in the 1001 series (EK).
can some 1 clarify please !
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Are these two topics covered on the MCAT:

Wittig rxn
Grignard reagent

Neither the TPR nor the EK seem to contain these in their review, but I found some questions on them in the 1001 series (EK).
can some 1 clarify please !
Thanks

as far as for EK, check lecture 3 !