Maintaining a LoR Connection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanIBeAnonymous

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Not sure exactly where to post this but this seems the pertinent place.

I'm a post-bacc/pre-med currently applying to medical schools for this cycle. For the past 4.5 weeks I've worked at a top 10 institution with one of the more renown physicians in their respective field (and my field of fancy). Today is my last day and as such had just had a meeting with him. I don't want to go tooting my own horn, these are his words, but he told me I'm one of the smartest individuals to have worked with him at this institution and he would love to work with me again next summer, and would definitely write me a letter to do an away-rotation at their institution. This is something I would love to do, but this is far-off even if I do get in this cycle. Also, he's one of the oldest, if not the oldest, physician still working at this institution.

How do I maintain this relationship with him, especially considering I was only there for a little over a month and he's a much older individual (who, sadly, may not even be around by the time his LoR would be of use). I would still want to go back during my summers, but the interim is still long, and assuming I get in this cycle I do not have many summers left.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So what are you doing during your gap year while you apply?

How far away will you be from his institution?

What is the nature of your relationship? Strictly professional or have you established a personal relationship as well?

So what are you doing during your gap year while you apply?

How far away will you be from his institution?

What is the nature of your relationship? Strictly professional or have you established a personal relationship as well?

Going to be in a post-bacc program in a different city.

I would say our relationship leans more on the professional.

Going to be in a post-bacc program in a different city.

I would say our relationship leans more on the professional.

I've seen people keep in contact over the phone, but if the relationship swings more professional then I would say just make the trip and shadow.

Not sure how far your post-bacc program is from the school, but I assume its not in your home town? If so, when you're heading home for Thanksgiving/Christmas/whatever holiday, make it a point to swing through and show face.