Maintaining IM certification - should I do it? should I do 2-year MOC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChessMaster3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the midst of GI fellowship. wanted to get people's opinions on whether it is worth maintain IM certification. for those who say no, why not? if yes, then do you recommend doing the 2-year moc? for me, that would mean doing a MOC exam in the middle of GI fellowship! I figure most GI fellows aren't thinking about this. the traidtional thing to do would be wait and take the 10-year exam, but I really dont want to do that. so, if I do want to maintain certification it seems the smart thing to do would be to do a 2-year MOC exam this year. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm I’m interested in hearing thoughts about this as well. If there’s no intention on doing general medicine or hospitalist I imagine it’s pretty useless to renew IM boards.

You don’t have to start the two year exam until your first 10 year expires.

but no, don’t give those jerks one extra penny

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify, you’re recommending not renewing IM boards?

They are saying for now, just keep it on the 10 year track and don't touch the toggle to 2-years. By being in fellowship you will get MOC points, and keeping up your GI MOC will meet your medicine MOC as well.

When the 10 years is up, decide if you want to drop it, switch to 2 years, or switch to 10 years.

I was saying it’s a nonissue now and don’t do it when the time comes.
^This

Your initial 10y cert will get you through your fellowship. And you'll get all the MOC points you need just doing your fellowship to not have to worry about it. Once you've got your GI boards completed you can even drop the IM MOC (I did) and only worry about GI.

Again...non-issue and don't bother with renewing them unless you have some sort of masochistic streak and a desire to give away $2500 to people that don't need it.

^This

Your initial 10y cert will get you through your fellowship. And you'll get all the MOC points you need just doing your fellowship to not have to worry about it. Once you've got your GI boards completed you can even drop the IM MOC (I did) and only worry about GI.

Again...non-issue and don't bother with renewing them unless you have some sort of masochistic streak and a desire to give away $2500 to people that don't need it.

fair. I agree I just wondering if there is any reason to keep it, ie, any hospitals that require dual boarding in IM and GI.

fair. I agree I just wondering if there is any reason to keep it, ie, any hospitals that require dual boarding in IM and GI.
I have privileges at 9 hospitals. All of them require board certification in the specialty you're requesting privileges in. That's it.

So yes, if you want to do GI and be a hospitalist or PCP somewhere, you'll probably need both. If all you intend to do is GI, I assure you that nobody will make you have both.

I have privileges at 9 hospitals. All of them require board certification in the specialty you're requesting privileges in. That's it.

So yes, if you want to do GI and be a hospitalist or PCP somewhere, you'll probably need both. If all you intend to do is GI, I assure you that nobody will make you have both.

love it. Finally, a single instance in medical training where you don’t have to do more than necessary

perfect answer