• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

babycapybara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
What to put for this? I don't feel I have any MAJOR accomplishments..I haven't discovered a a cure for AIDS, organized any major health initiatives or fundraisers, nor have I led any teams of epidemiologists up the Congo to hunt for the latest viruses.

Is it ok to put stuff like finished an Ironman triathlon, ran 4 marathons, helped my mom get in shape, made cake from scratch, etc, etc...these are all accomplishments to me! Is it ok to put these sorts of personal accomplishments on a med school application?

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Hell, one marathon is an accomplishment (Air Force Marathon ;) ).......4 is a major accomplishment in my book. Of course, it's also insane in my book (I now only run if my life depends on it)....but still, nice work. :thumbup:

About the Ads

lightthecandle

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
first off, 4 marathons and a triathalon is amazing!
seriously, how long did you train and were each 26 miles like all marathons? did you have a personal trainer? I'm asking because I want to run a marathon. my goal is within two years, since I won't have acess to a personal trainer, nor do I have much time, with classes and work and all. I'm in shape, but I need to be fit to run that long. yikes!

great job:thumbup:

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
...well, maybe not baking a cake from scratch. :)

I've maybe known five people in my life who've baked a cake from scratch. I've met hundreds of medical students and doctors. I guess whether it's a unique accomplishment depends on who you know. Anyway, I'M impressed.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I've maybe known five people in my life who've baked a cake from scratch.

You need to get out to a suburb in the middle or south of the country. Particularly parts of the states where home ec is still taught. I promise you more people have baked at least one cake from scratch than there are doctors or med students.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You need to get out to a suburb in the middle or south of the country. Particularly parts of the states where home ec is still taught. I promise you more people have baked at least one cake from scratch than there are doctors or med students.
I have baked many cakes from scratch...all out of gourmet magazine too. I like a challenge when it comes to baking - I try to use it to teach myself ultimate patience. I swear, when you spend 9 hours on one tort or cake, you will understand.

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have baked many cakes from scratch...all out of gourmet magazine too. I like a challenge when it comes to baking - I try to use it to teach myself ultimate patience. I swear, when you spend 9 hours on one tort or cake, you will understand.

Now I'm really impressed. And you do this so often you never thought to include it on your list of impressive accomplishments? I barely find time to eat, let alone cook.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
...helped my mom get in shape...

I think this one's a winner. Seriously. It's an engraved invitation to have adcoms ask you about an experience where you helped improve another person's health. You should have a million things to say about the difficulties in motivating others to improve their health, long term effects you're still around to see, how you'd do it differently, how you think the experience will help you with patients, etc. Love it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.