Major Accomplishments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babycapybara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What to put for this? I don't feel I have any MAJOR accomplishments..I haven't discovered a a cure for AIDS, organized any major health initiatives or fundraisers, nor have I led any teams of epidemiologists up the Congo to hunt for the latest viruses.

Is it ok to put stuff like finished an Ironman triathlon, ran 4 marathons, helped my mom get in shape, made cake from scratch, etc, etc...these are all accomplishments to me! Is it ok to put these sorts of personal accomplishments on a med school application?

Members don't see this ad.

Hell, one marathon is an accomplishment (Air Force Marathon ;) ).......4 is a major accomplishment in my book. Of course, it's also insane in my book (I now only run if my life depends on it)....but still, nice work. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the things you listed ARE major accomplishments. I'd have listed them.

...well, maybe not baking a cake from scratch. :) Nice job with the Ironman!

first off, 4 marathons and a triathalon is amazing!
seriously, how long did you train and were each 26 miles like all marathons? did you have a personal trainer? I'm asking because I want to run a marathon. my goal is within two years, since I won't have acess to a personal trainer, nor do I have much time, with classes and work and all. I'm in shape, but I need to be fit to run that long. yikes!

great job:thumbup:

I've maybe known five people in my life who've baked a cake from scratch.

You need to get out to a suburb in the middle or south of the country. Particularly parts of the states where home ec is still taught. I promise you more people have baked at least one cake from scratch than there are doctors or med students.

You need to get out to a suburb in the middle or south of the country. Particularly parts of the states where home ec is still taught. I promise you more people have baked at least one cake from scratch than there are doctors or med students.
I have baked many cakes from scratch...all out of gourmet magazine too. I like a challenge when it comes to baking - I try to use it to teach myself ultimate patience. I swear, when you spend 9 hours on one tort or cake, you will understand.

I have baked many cakes from scratch...all out of gourmet magazine too. I like a challenge when it comes to baking - I try to use it to teach myself ultimate patience. I swear, when you spend 9 hours on one tort or cake, you will understand.

Now I'm really impressed. And you do this so often you never thought to include it on your list of impressive accomplishments? I barely find time to eat, let alone cook.

um...yeah I just buy cake from the store.

...helped my mom get in shape...

I think this one's a winner. Seriously. It's an engraved invitation to have adcoms ask you about an experience where you helped improve another person's health. You should have a million things to say about the difficulties in motivating others to improve their health, long term effects you're still around to see, how you'd do it differently, how you think the experience will help you with patients, etc. Love it.