Major advice needed here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EJS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
O.k. so I am almost entirely sure that I want to go to osteopathic medical school, my top choice would be UNE. Unfortunately, things are only ho hum in the MCAT/ grade areas. My MCAT scores for April 1999. Verbal-9 Physical-10 Bio-7 Writing-P, total of a 26. My GPA is a 3.39 it would have been higher but I got a C in a 4 credit science class my sophomore year that I should never have taken. As for medical experience I spent sophomore spring break following around a pediatrician, last summer as a lab intern at Harvard Medical School doing research, and are working this summer as a patient transport aide in my hospital. My school activities are mostly student government kinds of things. Please let me know if I should apply this year or wait and take the MCAT's over again next spring.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi EJS. I will be a first year at UNE in about three weeks. It took me two years of applying to gain acceptance there. I had to take the MCAT twice, but my overall score was a point lower than yours. So, I think your MCAT is fine. Is that 3.39 an overall or a science GPA? Still I don't think it is too bad. I advise you to apply but do it quickly. The longer you wait the worse your chances are. Also what is your state of residence? UNE favors residents of New England. Having said that I know several people who got accepted from out of state, one from as far away as Washington State. Personally I was a resident of Texas when I applied and I got an interview. Between the time I applied and got an interview, though, I had moved to Vermont.

Good luck to you. My advice would be to call and talk to Lisa Lacroix in Admissions. She will give you straight answers. She told me with the MCAT that 7's are acceptable. I'm not sure about GPA, but like I said I think you are okay.

Renee

My overall GPA is the 3.39, my science GPA is somewhere just below a 3.0 I think due to the C- I got in that one class. So that stinks, but oh well. I live in Massachusetts, so I am good with the New England thing. Thanks for your encouragement. I actually went and visited UNE last semester and Lisa is who I talked with, but I didn't have any scores then to ask her about.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, I have one more question. I put my school address, which is in PA as my mailing address, and my MA address as my permenant one, that won't be a problem for them seeing me as a Mass resident will it?

No, I don't think the address thing will be a problem. They will see the New England connection in your permanent address. By the way, what did Lisa tell you about your GPA?

Renee

actually we didn't discuss my GPA, can I really call her and ask about my GPA and MCAT scores and ask if I should bother applying? Do people do that?

I did! And she was very frank! I had an MCAT score of 22 with a 5 in Biology and that's when she told me that 7's were acceptable. So I retook it and upped the Bio score to an 8. My GPA was a 3.3 science and 3.6 cumulative with 2 C's in Organic. She said those were great. So, yes, call and talk to her. That's what she is there for.

Renee

Dear EJS,

My name is Matt and I will also be attending UNECOM in a few short weeks! My advice would be to go ahead and apply, but be prepared to reapply next year. Taking the MCAT in August is a disadvantage, but one that can be overcome. You have good numbers and experience in the health care field. Living in MA is a big help! If you have any questions about UNECOM or the application process please feel free to drop me an email. The application process is a tough road....its always nice to have people to bounce questions off of! Take care and good luck! Best regards!

Sincerely,
Matt

P.S. Hi Renee...see you in a few weeks!