Major AMCAS hours mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madscientist3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking over my primary while working on secondaries and realized I made a mistake in the hours of one of my activities. For my 15th activity I had originally listed an activity that I did for 200 hours one summer and 100 hours the next summer. I ended up deciding to change this entry to a volunteering activity that I did for about 100 total hours since my app was lacking in volunteer hours and remove the other activity since it was similar to another activity I had already entered. My mistake was that I changed all the fields to the volunteering activity except the hours field!!!!!!!!! This means I have 300 hours listed when I should only have 100 hours! I know this is a big enough mistake that I have to correct it for honesty sake and for fear of them contacting my reference for the activity. Is it appropriate to address this mistake in the "other information you want the ADCOM to know" question in secondaries? For secondaries where that is not a question do I email them a letter?

As long as I correct this mistake do you think it will overall negatively impact my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking over my primary while working on secondaries and realized I made a mistake in the hours of one of my activities.

I have 300 hours listed when I should only have 100 hours! I know this is a big enough mistake that I have to correct it for honesty sake and for fear of them contacting my reference for the activity.
Any chance you can get in another 200 hours of volunteer time at that site (or another similar one) over the next year?

I was looking over my primary while working on secondaries and realized I made a mistake in the hours of one of my activities. For my 15th activity I had originally listed an activity that I did for 200 hours one summer and 100 hours the next summer. I ended up deciding to change this entry to a volunteering activity that I did for about 100 total hours since my app was lacking in volunteer hours and remove the other activity since it was similar to another activity I had already entered. My mistake was that I changed all the fields to the volunteering activity except the hours field!!!!!!!!! This means I have 300 hours listed when I should only have 100 hours! I know this is a big enough mistake that I have to correct it for honesty sake and for fear of them contacting my reference for the activity. Is it appropriate to address this mistake in the "other information you want the ADCOM to know" question in secondaries? For secondaries where that is not a question do I email them a letter?

As long as I correct this mistake do you think it will overall negatively impact my application?
1. I really sweat it was an honest mistake. Maybe I write about this as a time I failed in secondaries (just kidding) but really I feel like they have to understand it was not a malintentioned mistake if I update them right away. Why would I tell them if I was trying to get away with lying about my hours?
2. Do you think that a letter, not in my secondary, or email is the best way to contact them? Alternately should I call each school and ask the best way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any chance you can get in another 200 hours of volunteer time at that site (or another similar one) over the next year?
Unfortunately there is no way for me to get more hours at this organization right now. I work full time and their hours are during the day. That also wouldn't seem to help the problem if they contacted them as these hours were a couple years ago

1. I feel like they have to understand it was not a malintentioned mistake if I update them right away. Why would I tell them if I was trying to get away with lying about my hours?
2. Do you think that a letter, not in my secondary, or email is the best way to contact them? Alternately should I call each school and ask the best way?
Call each school and ask them the best way to communicate a correction to your application.

Call each school and ask them the best way to communicate a correction to your application.
Thank you for your advice! If an app specifically says "If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below." Can I assume that would be the best way to update them?

Thank you for your advice! If an app specifically says "If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below." Can I assume that would be the best way to update them?
I feel in your specific situation, it will be best if the correction is added to the file via a note or email. If an admissions office person tells you they will not accept an addition or corrections to the file (which happens), then take advantage of a Secondary prompt that seems appropriate. JMO.