Major differences between Biology BS and Biology BA

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are key differences between a BA in Biology and a BS in Biological Sciences? Which one is good for premed?

Members don't see this ad.

The BA degree requires less in-major science courses. It usually doesn't involve as many upper level Biology courses as the BS degree. It fills the remaining credits with free electives that you choose; they do not have to be Biology, they can be anything. The BA is basically a degree that allows you to study a lighter version of the BS and explore electives while still earning a Biology degree.

In my personal opinion, the BA is going to be easier and better if you know you are going to do everything you possibly can to get into medical school and have absolutely no doubts about it. Going the BA route leaves you with fewer job prospects than the BS, not saying the BS has great prospects either, but it is better than the BA for finding a job. You are basically screwing yourself on a back-up plan with the BA in my opinion. That's really the only difference at my university. The only reason I know is because my major is BS Biological Sciences. The differences might be and probably are different at other universities, so try not to take my word as fact. Maybe e-mail the Biology department at your prospective university.

The BA degree requires less in-major science courses. It usually doesn't involve as many upper level Biology courses as the BS degree. It fills the remaining credits with free electives that you choose; they do not have to be Biology, they can be anything. The BA is basically a degree that allows you to study a lighter version of the BS and explore electives while still earning a Biology degree.

In my personal opinion, the BA is going to be easier and better if you know you are going to do everything you possibly can to get into medical school and have absolutely no doubts about it. Going the BA route leaves you with fewer job prospects than the BS, not saying the BS has great prospects either, but it is better than the BA for finding a job. You are basically screwing yourself on a back-up plan with the BA in my opinion. That's really the only difference at my university. The only reason I know is because my major is BS Biological Sciences. The differences might be and probably are different at other universities, so try not to take my word as fact. Maybe e-mail the Biology department at your prospective university.

Sounds good. Thanks