Major differences between "top" tier and "lower" tier podiatry schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adventure-time

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I was wondering what the top tier podiatry schools were, and why they are considered "top" tier.

Same with "lower" tier. why are they considered lower?

Is it worth waiting a year if one think they may be able to choose a "higher" tier over a "lower" tier podiatry school?

Members don't see this ad.

All the schools give you the tools to succeed. Go to the school that is the best fit for you.

Reactions: 3 users
There are no real “tiers”, what is a pro at one school for one person may be a con for the next. Board pass rates and residency placements fluctuate between schools every year and are highly dependent upon the students in the class. My advice is to interview at the schools you are interested in and choose the one you like the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
All the schools give you the tools to succeed. Go to the school that is the best fit for you.

There are no real “tiers”, what is a pro at one school for one person may be a con for the next. Board pass rates and residency placements fluctuate between schools every year and are highly dependent upon the students in the class. My advice is to interview at the schools you are interested in and choose the one you like the best.

For example, I know DMU podiatry students have class with the DO students, while many podiatry schools don't. Would this mean that DMU is more "prestigious" and help with residency, etc. more than other schools?

For example, I know DMU podiatry students have class with the DO students, while many podiatry schools don't. Would this mean that DMU is more "prestigious" and help with residency, etc. more than other schools?
No. The residency you earn will be determined by your GPA/class rank, externship performance/personality/teachability, passing boards the first time, and ability to interview well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
No. The residency you earn will be determined by your GPA/class rank, externship performance/personality/teachability, passing boards the first time, and ability to interview well.
I agree.

Reactions: 1 user
At Scholl, DPM students take classes with MD students.

So there is absolutely no cons in terms of opportunities by choosing a larger class like that of Barry or Kent State (I prefer midwestern areas in general all else equal), even though places like Temple, DMU, and scholl are considered "more prestigious"?

It would be no benefit to my residency that I was at Temple vs. another school like Barry, etc.?

Your success will be defined by you, not by what school you go to, however with that said, Temple is the Harvard of podiatry ;)

It seems like you are asking the same question over again. Refer to the multiple responses you have already received.

It seems like you are asking the same question over again. Refer to the multiple responses you have already received.
I have not been there, but it makes sense that who you are as a person and you class rank and scores should have larger impact on your residency match.

I just want to make sure this isn't similar to a top tier MD vs low-mid tier MD vs. DO situation, where technically it all depends on the person and your success, but "also" depends on your choice of school.

Top tier MD schools provide better options in academia than other MD/DO schools.
low-mid tier MD schools offer great residency options.
DO schools offer good residency options, but will have to "work harder and be more successful" in gathering residency options.

I just find it interesting that all podiatry schools offer equal opportunites based solely on ones own performance and success without the school title having "any" influence.

Members don't see this ad :)
All podiatry schools have students placing into almost all residency programs.
Whether you go to the school that Doctor Foot thinks is top tier or Dr Toe thinks is bottom tier, believe it or not, youre still going to be, a podiatrist.

Medical schools are a bit different since they have students placing into various specialties at different locations.
Podiatry however, you are going to become a podiatrist
Some schools are more selective in applicants, they usually have lower attrition rates because they focus hard on making sure they accept students with the inclination to succeed.

What others say here on SDN - no. They say that class rank and personal characteristics as well as externship experiences have a larger impact on residency placement.

I like that this seems to be true, but i wish the statement was:

They say that class rank and personal characteristics as well as externship experiences have a larger impact "are the only impact" on residency placement.

Because when its worded as though its just a small impact, then its a little persuasive to try and apply to "more prestigious" schools, even if it would take 12 more months until being accepted.

I would guess that some residencies can offer better connections and experience to land better job opportunities.

Based on what the Dean of my former school, yes.
Top residencies are well known so when it comes to job applications, newer hospitals will hire their head pods (typically) from well known residency programs since they know they are reputable.

At the same time the residencies which ask for a 2.7 gpa or higher still have potential
but school name, has no influence

I like that this seems to be true, but i wish the statement was:

They say that class rank and personal characteristics as well as externship experiences have a larger impact "are the only impact" on residency placement.

Because when its worded as though its just a small impact, then its a little persuasive to try and apply to "more prestigious" schools, even if it would take 12 more months until being accepted.

Here you go:

CLASS RANK, GPA, PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS, AND HOW YOU PREFORM DURING YOUR EXTERNISHIP WILL DETERMINE WHETHER OR NOT YOU WILL BE RANKED AT MY PROGRAM.

Does that work for you? When I review applicants I look at the following:
1- Class rank
2- GPA
3- CV (hobbies, interests, EC activities)

What school you are from does not weigh into my decision of whether or not I want to get to know you for a month.

During the past year, the best students I have seen are from Samuel (CSPM), Western, AZPOD, Kent, DMU, Temple, Barry, Scholl, New York. Wait a second.. I listed all the schools.

Go to the school that will be the best fit for you!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Here you go:

CLASS RANK, GPA, PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS, AND HOW YOU PREFORM DURING YOUR EXTERNISHIP WILL DETERMINE WHETHER OR NOT YOU WILL BE RANKED AT MY PROGRAM.

1- Class rank
2- GPA

What school you are from does not weigh into my decision of whether or not I want to get to know you for a month.

During the past year, the best students I have seen are from Samuel (CSPM), Western, AZPOD, Kent, DMU, Temple, Barry, Scholl, New York. Wait a second.. I listed all the schools.

Ok very fair point. Are the classes at Scholl "more difficult" than say, Barry, because the podiatry students take the courses with the MD students?

I've heard picking the top 9 programs gives you a 24.579% higher chance of landing an ortho affiliated residency.

Go for it OP.

Top tier program is the cheapest pod school you get into, with cost of living and scholarships included. Most students don’t understand what 300k in student loan debt actually looks like, or the difference between 250k vs 300k. Also considering that schools increase tuition by 4-7% every year, and it’s gonna be a bumpy ride.

Reactions: 1 users
Do any of you know the exact criteria of podiatry scholarships? Would a chemistry masters degree in which a 3.6+ was obtained help with that?

Each school probably has their own criteria. I haven't seen strict guidelines, but I guess uGPA and MCAT has larger impact.

I'm very close to sending my application to one school that has persuaded me to apply there (have seats and scholarships available) for this year, or to all 9 of them for fall 2019 for a larger chance at scholarship.

If you guys were in this situation, would you do?

If you like the school and you can move there before classes start, I would apply.

I have also started my app in late of 2017 cycle, but decided to apply for newer cycle just because having family I wouldn't be able to move that quick.

Yes, that is a tough choice with a family. I'm sure you will thrive in whatever choice you make, you seem pretty collected.

I don't have a family, so I don't have that pressure. My pressure stems from losing an acceptance due to lack of seats, and also losing scholarships due to lack of availability this late in the cycle. I have been contacting schools and have found a couple really great ones with great offers, but applying to 2 this year and not the possible 9 next year makes it seem like I may not garner all the advantages I could.

Yes, that is a tough choice with a family. I'm sure you will thrive in whatever choice you make, you seem pretty collected.

I don't have a family, so I don't have that pressure. My pressure stems from losing an acceptance due to lack of seats, and also losing scholarships due to lack of availability this late in the cycle. I have been contacting schools and have found a couple really great ones with great offers, but applying to 2 this year and not the possible 9 next year makes it seem like I may not garner all the advantages I could.

If you already know which school you want to attend and if they have a seat available then go for it. Otherwise, don't rush this and apply next cycle.
Another advantage of applying to multiple programs is to interview with them so that you can see what those programs have to offer and then you make a decision based on your experiences.

Idk man, a year is a lot of time to wait.... but also goes by in the blink of an eye. If you are having FOMO from others schools that may be full or have no scholarship left, you can always call them and schedule a visit. To be frank I did this with one school and compared it to the actual interview tour and I got the same feel for it (n=1). If you do this and find that you feel very strongly about a school you tour and your stats fit where they would want them for scholarships then I guess you can wait. Other than that, I personally would go for it this year. You also have to keep in mind that scholarships (at least from the few schools I applied to) are not guaranteed, you have to earn them every year/semester to keep them.

If you wait a year, do you have something worthwhile to keep you busy?

Idk man, a year is a lot of time to wait.... but also goes by in the blink of an eye. If you are having FOMO from others schools that may be full or have no scholarship left, you can always call them and schedule a visit. To be frank I did this with one school and compared it to the actual interview tour and I got the same feel for it (n=1). If you do this and find that you feel very strongly about a school you tour and your stats fit where they would want them for scholarships then I guess you can wait. Other than that, I personally would go for it this year. You also have to keep in mind that scholarships (at least from the few schools I applied to) are not guaranteed, you have to earn them every year/semester to keep them.

If you wait a year, do you have something worthwhile to keep you busy?

And when I say earn them, I mean earn them to keep them as well as to get them as someone coming in first semester with no scholarships. Best of luck with your decision!

Want to know about scholarships? Call the schools. Ask them at the interview. Many schools offer scholarships after 1st year as well.

If you wait a year, that's one less year making the big bucks.

What if someone is a really pleasant student to be around and the patients really like them, gets along well with others and has great people skills and letters of rec, but just a poor student? Only manage to pull a 2.2 GPA in preclinicals, had multiple board failures (but eventually passed), and graduated last in class? Shows up on time, is presentable, and is enjoyable to be around, but just struggled academically for a long time.

On the other end, what about the 3.8 student, top 5, but just a pain to be around and makes life miserable?

Here you go:

1- Class rank
2- GPA

What if someone is a really pleasant student to be around and the patients really like them, gets along well with others and has great people skills and letters of rec, but just a poor student? Only manage to pull a 2.2 GPA in preclinicals, had multiple board failures (but eventually passed), and graduated last in class? Shows up on time, is presentable, and is enjoyable to be around, but just struggled academically for a long time.

On the other end, what about the 3.8 student, top 5, but just a pain to be around and makes life miserable?

People screen for a reason.

You need a balance of both.

Which one would you want to do surgery on YOUR foot?

Surgery? The arrogant jerk who gets results. I want the very best when someone is cutting me open.

Id want the nice one to do a corn, callus, diabetic wounds, freezing warts, and other less invasive primary care kind of podiatry.

Which one would you want to do surgery on YOUR foot?

Neither.

Reactions: 4 users
Someone has to statistically be last in the class. Or even bottom five.

Btw, not a ton of residencies for people under the 3.0 mark. Not that Im advocating anyone do the bare minimum, but thats a lot of debt to put on the line for unsure outcomes.

Though, when I browse diffrent schools, it seems like residency placement is usually in the 95-100% range.

Yes it's easier to make it as a MD/DO in this case than a Podiatry student. This has been mentioned x1000 times here. I don't know why you keep bringing it up.
There's literally a list of GPA requirements for Podiatry residencies. You know what you're getting into. Just work hard and don't put yourself in that position.

Surgery? The arrogant jerk who gets results. I want the very best when someone is cutting me open.

Id want the nice one to do a corn, callus, diabetic wounds, freezing warts, and other less invasive primary care kind of podiatry.

I'd pick neither. There are plenty of personable surgeons out there who get great results.

Btw, not a ton of residencies for people under the 3.0 mark. Not that Im advocating anyone do the bare minimum, but thats a lot of debt to put on the line for unsure outcomes.

Though, when I browse diffrent schools, it seems like residency placement is usually in the 95-100% range.

Yes I'm aware. This was a big "con" for me. There are people in my class who i literally only see on exam days. Lot of them are just trying to pass. I'd be terrified of doing this if i was in pod school.

What happens to people under the 3.0 GPA mark, and what percentage of Pod students have under a 3.0? When you say residency placement is between 95-100%, does that mean 95-100% pod. students successfully obtain residencies?

To my knowlage, people under the 3.0 mark can still get residences, but their options are limited. There are a couple programs with 2.7 cutoffs, and programs with no cut offs.

To graduate with a DPM, I think you need at least a 2.0. Not sure how many people have under a 3.0, but I’d imagine there are more than a couple in each class.

I’m assuming if a school says 98% residency placement, that means they place 98% of their students in residency.

On the plus side, pod boards are shorter and easier than USMLE. Idk if it’s better to have an easier time on boards but on your game in class every day or the reverse and be super on point during boards or ouch. I stink at standardized tests, so I’d pick the pod model of preclinical grade hurt for an easier board time.

Plus, I would imagine clinicals are nicer to those who struggle with bookwork, and you have all of 3rd year to pull up your GPA before residencies get your app.

What happens to people under the 3.0 GPA mark, and what percentage of Pod students have under a 3.0? When you say residency placement is between 95-100%, does that mean 95-100% pod. students successfully obtain residencies?

I've heard this multiple times from our national student delegates after talking with delegates from other schools that NYCPM by far always has the lowest GPAs. That's not to say that all NYCPM students are dumber than the rest of the 8 schools. Residents and attendings have posted on here before that they have noticed what appears to be grade inflation at certain schools. NYCPM is on the complete opposite side of this spectrum where they basically throw you into the deep end and don't hold your hand. But if you look at board pass rates, NYCPM is always usually in the top 3 every year. So from what I've been told most residency directors know this and for NYCPM students look more at class rank than GPA. From limited anecdotal evidence, because usually if you're at the bottom of the class you don't go telling everyone your rank or even straight up lie acting like you are higher up, one guy here in the 2020s last year told me he had a GPA of 2.3ish and was ranked 64th out of 86. That would mean that 1/4 of 2020s from NYCPM have between a 2.3-2.0, at least a year ago. And yet every year NYCPM has close to a 100% match rate.

So what I'm getting at is sometimes class rank is much more important because not all GPAs are equal when looking across schools and where a 3.4 may be a bottom 25% of one school, that would be a top 33% at NYCPM. Also those GPA residency cutoffs are not final because routinely even good programs scramble every now and then and have to accept lower stat applicants at that point. Lastly, anyone who will be attending NYCPM should temper their expectations with GPA, getting above a 3.3 is NOT easy here. A's are not thrown out left and right, you have to work really hard to earn that A or A-, trust me I know.

Reactions: 4 users
This won’t exactly answer your question, but if you work hard you will most certainly get above a 3.0, from seeing students at KSUCPM its obvious that B’s are easily acheivable if you put in a lot of work (expect to study all day everyday), and since there are 120 students here class rank seems to be a bigger deal (some residencies have a minimum gpa and some have a minimum class rank).

Those who don’t get a residency are almost always VERY picky about where they want to do their residency and pefer waiting until the next year for a certain residency that they think they need to have rather than matching with a place they don’t want tobe at. If you aren’t super picky you will not have to worry about getting a spot somewhere.

One more thing (someone call me out if I’m wrong) the consensus around here is that your GPA is used to get you a chance to rotate with the residency of your choice 4th year, but once you’ve rotated with them it’s more about how you fit in and if the residency likes you as a doctor because they’ve had the chance to meet and work with you.