Coolio30

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2002
75
0
0
NJ
none
Status
Hi all,

I am in a major dilemma. I have been accepted to UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine and I must give them their decision by December 1. However, I would much rather attend UMDNJ -Newark or Robert Wood Johnson. As of yet, I have interviewed at NJ med and RWJ and have been placed on the waiting list (top third) at RWJ, and have yet to hear (post-interview) from NJ med. Also, I have interviews at other out of state private schools like Drexel. My stats are 3.9, 27 MCAT (10v, 8P, 9b). If I submit my accpetance deposit to UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic medicine, am I obliged to attend, or am I allowed to hold the spot and wait for other decisions at other schools. Please help. Thanks.
 

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
7,638
362
381
New England
Status
Attending Physician
Sending in a deposit in now was obligates you in attending that school. Deposits are a way of preventing/reducing people holding multiple acceptances.

The only risk you take in sending a deposit is forfeiting it if you choose to attend another school. If this is your only acceptance, and the deadline for submitting the deposit expires before you know if you got accepted anwhere else, I would seriously think about sending the deposit in - if only to make sure you have *somewhere* to go next year.

- Tae
 

MCATer

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2002
9
0
0
Visit site
Status
Coolio,

just out of curiousity, when and how did you find out that you were waitlisted at rwj. I got the "very competitive" letter but have not heard a word yet. thanks for the help...and i agree, at most you'd lose your deposit but i think you may be able to get a refund up to may 15th from what i remember based on friends that have similar experiences.
 

LeslieKay

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 27, 2002
27
0
241
Status
Most schools will refund your deposit prior to a certain date (ask the school to find out when). People hold places like this all the time--it isn't a problem.
 

Coolio30

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2002
75
0
0
NJ
none
Status
Thanks alot for all your responses. I truly appreciate it.

MCATer: I also the "competitive" letter, but I received mine in October. However, I just received the waitlist letter at RWJ. Good luck. I think someone else on the board was accepted off the competitive list. I am hope you receive your acceptance as well.

To all, I just want to make sure i got this right. I can technically accept the offer of admission to UMDNJ-SOM, and then if accepted at another school (pref. UMDNJ-Newark or RWJ), I can withdraw from SOM. It does not hold a problem.

Thanks again, and sorry for this confusion.
 
U

UCSBPre-Med

Yes you can. You can hold multiple acceptances (by paying a deposit) until I think May 15.

After that, you have to chose just one school. But it would be nice to decline your other acceptances as soon as you know what school you want to go to. Give other people a chance to be docs!
 

mamadoc

Old Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 17, 2002
234
1
0
Visit site
Status
a lot of allo people don't realize that the osteo schools in general seem to ask for a much bigger initial deposit and make it non-refundable! so yeah, coolio, you can send in your deposit - I would, using the "bird in the hand" philosophy - but you have to be prepared to forfeit the $2K if you end up getting an offer that you like better. If you take a spot at UMDNJ-SOM and end up giving it up, you'll be making some waitlister somewhere VERY happy :clap:

maybe a forfeited deposit can be written off as a donation if you itemize your taxes? i dunno. :laugh:
 

nuclearrabbit77

commercial sex worker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2002
565
2
0
Chicago, IL
www.intellectualwhores.com
Status
yeah when a school says you have to make a final decision, that means nothing. you can always decide to go to another school, except you may lose your deposit. i'd say the only courtesy that you should adhere to is that you shouldnt hold onto many extra acceptances. try to narrow down your choices.

nuclearrabbit

northwestern - 2006
 

phinicky

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 7, 2002
135
0
0
dc
Visit site
Status
I'm sure that you can hold your spot with the deposit. Most schools ask you to make your final decision after a certain date in the Spring. I know that many osteopathic schools require a hefty, non-refundable deposit, but what you need to consider is the fact that this money is such a small percentage of what you use to finance your medical education.