major disaster! do i still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amigo767

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, i just walked out of my final for cellular biology. My average so far in that class is an A (90's on both tests so far). As i was taking the test, the proctor came up and told me that "im done". It turns out that during the test, my biology textbook slipped outta my bag (i was doing some reviewing before the test) and was wide open on the floor so it looked like i was using it to cheat (i assume thats what happened). So I assume my professor will give me a 0 for the final, meaning an F for the class (if you dont pass the final, you dont pass the class no matter what your grade is). Even worse is that will my reputation be ruined? Will i get expelled? Do i still have a chance to apply to pharmacy school? Also, my professor will probably think that i cheated my way to get those 90's, while i worked my ass off

The guy who took my test said that its up to the teacher for the punishment. If i retake the course, will the F(if i get one) show up? O yea, I have A's and A-'s for everything else, so will 1 F change my chances? I'm more worried about my reputation though. Will anything say that I "cheated"?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

How does a giant Biology book slip out of your bag AND open all by itself during a dead silent exam without you noticing?

Members don't see this ad :)
How does a giant Biology book slip out of your bag AND open all by itself during a dead silent exam without you noticing?

Ok i was a ******* to leave my bag open with the book just shoved in there. And it wasn't giant, its about an inch or so thick and softcovered- i had the choice to buy either the full hardcover textbook or the softcover third of the textbook with chapters 1-21 dealing with cellular biology. And it was far from dead silent, i had to take a make up final in an auditorium with quite a lot of noise in the beginning (i was taking it with others who had make up finals from different classes and it was noisy in the beginning when everything was being straightened out).

now please someone help, i dont want my career down the drain for something so stupid.

Hopefully your professor wont go as far as putting that incident in your transcript, or you will have an extra question during your interviews.

Ok i was a ******* to leave my bag open with the book just shoved in there. And it wasn't giant, its about an inch or so thick and softcovered- i had the choice to buy either the full hardcover textbook or the softcover third of the textbook with chapters 1-21 dealing with cellular biology. And it was far from dead silent, i had to take a make up final in an auditorium with quite a lot of noise in the beginning (i was taking it with others who had make up finals from different classes and it was noisy in the beginning when everything was being straightened out).

now please someone help, i dont want my career down the drain for something so stupid.

At least at my school if you are caught cheating you are reported to the Dean for Academic Misconduct. Usually it is a 0 for that exam, just like you said. In any case, you COULD approach the professor and tell him that your book magically fell out of your bag and opened. He may believe you, if he likes Harry Potter and agrees that it may in fact have been Dobby just trying to get you to stay away from school because you were in danger.

Then again... he may tell you tough luck and next time don't bring your book.

ok, if all you guys can do is laugh at someone failing a course he/she worked his ass off for, then i guess this forum is useless
did you try explaining to the professor? if you are lucky, he may just drop u to a C or a D or sumtin then u can just retake the class, and all your other grades are fine like u said so i dont think i bet u still have a chance. But if he puts a bad note on ur transcript then u have to be able to convince them at the interviews that it was unintentional

Ok, i just walked out of my final for cellular biology. My average so far in that class is an A (90's on both tests so far). As i was taking the test, the proctor came up and told me that "im done". It turns out that during the test, my biology textbook slipped outta my bag (i was doing some reviewing before the test) and was wide open on the floor so it looked like i was using it to cheat (i assume thats what happened). So I assume my professor will give me a 0 for the final, meaning an F for the class (if you dont pass the final, you dont pass the class no matter what your grade is). Even worse is that will my reputation be ruined? Will i get expelled? Do i still have a chance to apply to pharmacy school? Also, my professor will probably think that i cheated my way to get those 90's, while i worked my ass off

The guy who took my test said that its up to the teacher for the punishment. If i retake the course, will the F(if i get one) show up? O yea, I have A's and A-'s for everything else, so will 1 F change my chances? I'm more worried about my reputation though. Will anything say that I "cheated"?

thank you

I don't know about you but I generally don't carry books into an exam room. Also, I think if I had review material I would put it away securely (in front of the classroom) so I couldn't be accused of academic dishonesty. *** :confused: : didn't think you could bring a bio-cell book into the test site... let alone have it on you.

As to your question, your F will show up on your transcript and be average into your GPA. However, I wouldn't worry about the F as much as that statement of academic dishonesty might go into your file. That will ruin your chances.

I don't know your whole story but I would suggest that you talk to your professor.

Yea, I know. Sometimes I would shove my big fat textbook inside my backpack and still leave it open underneath my chair. I normally carry heavy books by hand because I don't have room in my backpack. For certain classes, I would have to record the names of the people who sat on my left and right sides on my exam. I guess those two people would be your witnesses that you didn't cheat or opened the book during the exam.

How did your teacher see the book opened anyway? Did you have it beside your chair or something? Is your teacher one of those who loves to walk around the room while people are taking test exams? ( I HATE THOSE!!!!!)

Hopefully your professor wont go as far as putting that incident in your transcript, or you will have an extra question during your interviews.

thank you for the response. Say if my transcript just has an F, will that destroy any chances i have of getting into pharmacy school? And is my credibility destroyed now?

Members don't see this ad :)
At least at my school if you are caught cheating you are reported to the Dean for Academic Misconduct. Usually it is a 0 for that exam, just like you said. In any case, you COULD approach the professor and tell him that your book magically fell out of your bag and opened. He may believe you, if he likes Harry Potter and agrees that it may in fact have been Dobby just trying to get you to stay away from school because you were in danger.

That was funny, Dobby... god I haven't read any Harry Potter since like High School.

ok, if all you guys can do is laugh at someone failing a course he/she worked his ass off for, then i guess this forum is useless

Ok ok, I'm a smartass. In all seriousness though, look at how it looks and how your professor would see it. What is the likelihood that your book would both A) fall out of your bag within plain sight of you and B) come OPEN??? Unless your bag was on a table or desk and fell, I just don't see how it was possible for your book to open unless there was a huge fan next to you blowing air into the room.

How did your teacher see the book opened anyway? Did you have it beside your chair or something? Is your teacher one of those who loves to walk around the room while people are taking test exams? ( I HATE THOSE!!!!!)

here's the thing, it wasn't my regular biology teacher. I had to take a make up final, and a proctor saw it. And yes, we skipped chairs between each other, so my bag was on the chair next to me. And the proctor only saw the book when the exam was over and was collecting it.

dis is one of the most hilarious comments i hv heard!!!:laugh:

Ok ok, I'm a smartass. In all seriousness though, look at how it looks and how your professor would see it. What is the likelihood that your book would both A) fall out of your bag within plain sight of you and B) come OPEN??? Unless your bag was on a table or desk and fell, I just don't see how it was possible for your book to open unless there was a huge fan next to you blowing air into the room.

yea i know my teacher wouldn't believe me, that is y i was merely asking if i still had a chance at pharmacy with an F. And about the book, i didnt even notice it until the damn proctor came, so i dont know what happened. I'm thinking that it slid out (soft cover)

here's the thing, it wasn't my regular biology teacher. I had to take a make up final, and a proctor saw it. And yes, we skipped chairs between each other, so my bag was on the chair next to me. And the proctor only saw the book when the exam was over and was collecting it.

It fell from the chair to the floor and no one, including yourself noticed ...

Yea, I know. Sometimes I would shove my big fat textbook inside my backpack and still leave it open underneath my chair. I normally carry heavy books by hand because I don't have room in my backpack. For certain classes, I would have to record the names of the people who sat on my left and right sides on my exam. I guess those two people would be your witnesses that you didn't cheat or opened the book during the exam.

I wish that would be the case but unfortunately, it was a huge auditorium filled with random people from different classes, and since we could sit wherever we wanted, there wasnt some distance between me and the next person.

Your story already has inconsistencies. Which one is it? Was it during the test or after?

wat the hell is wrong with you, y would i make this up and post it on here, for fun? it was during the test, but at the end when he started walking around collecting the tests. Like whenever time is up and they start collecting and you write down your last words or watever

I would still stop by at your professor's office to explain to him or her what happened, but I don't know if your professor will buy your story or not. Since you said you were taking a make up exam, you probably didn't know the people sitting next to you anyways so you don't have any witness. Unless if you offer your professor to take an oral exam in his or her office, then maybe that'll prove that you knew the material without cheating? Sorry, I can't come up with any other brilliant ideas.

wat the hell is wrong with you, y would i make this up and post it on here, for fun? it was during the test, but at the end when he started walking around collecting the tests. Like whenever time is up and they start collecting and you write down your last words or watever

Chill out amigo, I was merely pointing out the fact that you said two different things. The simple answer to your question is that an F can be replaced. However, you will have to retake that class before you apply to pharmacy school and be prepared to explain why you got the F if and when you are interviewed at a pharmacy school. However, your alleged integrity violation, should they decide to put it on your record could adversely affect your chances of getting in. Find out whether or not that is what they are going to do.

I would still stop by at your professor's office to explain to him or her what happened, but I don't know if your professor will buy your story or not. Since you said you were taking a make up exam, you probably didn't know the people sitting next to you anyways so you don't have any witness. Unless if you offer your professor to take an oral exam in his or her office, then maybe that'll prove that you knew the material without cheating? Sorry, I can't come up with any other brilliant ideas.

Actually I was thinking about the oral examination thing in his office too. Although I'll still get an F probably, maybe thats all that will happen. thanks for the input

You're ****ed! Having an open book during an exam. A final exam of all things. A MAKE UP final exam of all things, is totally unacceptable. They should stamp CHEATER in big red letters on all of your transcripts.

Your in a big auditorium with everyone spread out. Seems like a good atmosphere to crack open your book huh?

Lets say that the 0.007% chance that you were NOT cheating is true. And I would like to believe that, I really do. You should still eat **** because no honest hard working student would ever be stupid enough to have an open book on the seat next to them knowing it could ruin years of hard work and their future career goals.

Here is how you can prove your innocence: Take your bag with your book in it and show your professor how a book can come out of a bag and open on a seat that is not much bigger than the book and bag themselves without physical human interaction. Do that and you should be good to go homeskillit.

You're ****ed! Having an open book during an exam. A final exam of all things. A MAKE UP final exam of all things, is totally unacceptable. They should stamp CHEATER in big red letters on all of your transcripts.

Your in a big auditorium with everyone spread out. Seems like a good atmosphere to crack open your book huh?

Lets say that the 0.007% chance that you were NOT cheating is true. And I would like to believe that, I really do. You should still eat **** because no honest hard working student would ever be stupid enough to have an open book on the seat next to them knowing it could ruin years of hard work and their future career goals.

Here is how you can prove your innocence: Take your bag with your book in it and show your professor how a book can come out of a bag and open on a seat that is not much bigger than the book and bag themselves without physical human interaction. Do that and you should be good to go homeskillit.

I told you it was Dobby, the house elf.

OP: disregard some of the juvenile comments on here.

you've got to proactive about this. know your school's policies about academic integrity, etc. and talk to your professor and higher ups if need be (associate deans, dean, etc.). you need to do the best you can to do something about this right now.

if it doesn't work out for some reason, it is a hard lesson learned. i know i study last minute from notes on a clipboard, then i put it in my backpack. it's pretty unfortunate that this happened to you b/c i'm sure you've studied hard to get the grades you've gotten.

will this mess up your chances for pharm school admission? not at all. you might need to retake this if it's a prereq, but as long as it doesn't happen again, and you show it was an isolated incident you should be fine. your pharm school door is not closed at all by just one thing.

For the OP, things like that can happen. It's rare, but it does happen. I'm anal enough that I secure my backpack simply to avoid any thought of cheating from any proctor/professor, and some require students to put backpacks at the front of the class/auditorium/room. If you are telling the truth (which I believe because it would be stupid to lie-otherwise you're setting yourself up for ridicule-see above comments), first speak with the professor ASAP. He/she will likely hear you out and may decide to grant you some form of reprieve, either re-write or other. If that fails, talk to your student council. They are able to help you with any accusations of plagiarism or problems with your grades. You may be able to challenge for a re-write, or maybe even a W, and retake the course at a later date. If worse comes to worse, you will get an F, it will show up on your transcript, and your GPA will go down a bit. For pharmacy, it may hurt your chances, but if you're pre-med (like it says on your avatar there), it will definitely hurt. What will really hurt will be if you're put on probation or expelled for cheating. Then you're really screwed.

If u are innocent then i would appeal the F and have another exam given to me to prove i didn't cheat. U should have no problem pulling a B or an A on such an exam if u did make those good grades as before. The good thing is that it wasn't in ur hands or written on your hand or anything so your story could have some merit to it but you will need to fight to prove you are innocent. gl

If the grade you make on the final exam is consistent with your other results in the class, I'm sure you can convince the professor that you were not cheating. Good luck.

Actually I was thinking about the oral examination thing in his office too. Although I'll still get an F probably, maybe thats all that will happen. thanks for the input

Since you have nothing to lose, I would definitely talk to your professor about the situation and convince him or her to let you do the oral exam to prove that you didn't cheat. If you didn't do well on the oral, then it shows that you didn't truly understand the material and you could have cheated on the exam. Since you said you did well on the midterms and you studied hard for all exams, then I think you should be able to show your understanding of the material. Honestly, if I worked hard throughout the quarter/semester to earn such good grades on the exams, then I would do anything to prove that I was innocent.

you would have to be crazy to try and cheat by leaving a book open on the floor. that being said the story does sound fishy.....youre either full of it or extremely unlucky....sucks either way.

thank you

If the professors determines that you cheated, at least where I go to uni, you not only get an "F" but you get an "F8"

The F8 means that you've cheated in a university course and it AUTOMATICALLY disqualifies you for ANY professional programs (medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, etc...)

I don't know if the US takes cheating as seriously as we do here in Canada, but it would be wise for you to check your student code of conduct...

If the professors determines that you cheated, at least where I go to uni, you not only get an "F" but you get an "F8"

The F8 means that you've cheated in a university course and it AUTOMATICALLY disqualifies you for ANY professional programs (medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, etc...)

I don't know if the US takes cheating as seriously as we do here in Canada, but it would be wise for you to check your student code of conduct...

My school in Florida has a similar policy. You recieve a FF for academic failure due to cheating. It's a huge deal here and you could be kicked out of school for it.

Honestly hun, you're story does sound a bit extraordinary. Place yourself in your professor's shoes, would you believe you? I have only once in my life brought a textbook into an exam room, because the class was 730am and I was studying in it before th exam. I handed my book to my professor and asked him to hold on to it for me until I turned my test in. I believe that most of us would do something similar. Whether or not you cheated isn't really the issue here, it's whether or not your prof believes you. You made a very bad, very silly, very irresponsible decision and you may have to suffer the consequences whether or not you are guilty. It sucks, but that's is life. I hope it works out for you. At the very least I hope you learn something from this. Good luck.

This could easily happen.

I'm assuming that the OP is a female and the bag is one of those kinds of bags with no real way to close them.

Thus if you place the bag on the seat on its side, the book can easily slip out unnoticed. It's just the being wide open on the floor part I don't get, that's just unlucky.

That said, I've never had problems with books before but I have had a fair share of professors who are paranoid of technology. I like to listen to hard rock while I'm taking a test since it puts me "in the zone" but apparently this professor believes that people would actually use it to play recordings of lectures.

at least "you're done" was the only thing he said. It could have been much worse, up to expelling you for a semester etc and having ACADEMIC MISCONDUCT on everything. Luckily it did not get that far. I would go to the prof and explain it though, **** happens. Usually profs don't want to listen to it and they don't trust their students, so you might just have to bite the bullet on this one.

if he didn't file a case against you, you can't really fight it in court, you know. Talk to the dean, that'll probably help you the most.

Before the exam, professors always ask to put books away, and everyone needs to sit skip at leat 1 seat. In fact, you did mention that everyone stayed distance, I assume that your professor did say "put your stuffs away", and stay distance. With these clues, I suspect that you cheated because how could you not do the same thing as other did?

Yeah, you have a right to defend yourself, not to us, but to your professor.

Most schools have a board you can request a hearing with. I didn't read through all the prior posts so i dont know if someone said that already. You should be able to present your case. Schools dont like busting people for cheating, it looks badly. Kinda funny though, it's not like the answer to every question was showing on those 2 pages. I dont know the set up or seating so i cant say more than that.

I have had books nearby as well as notes that were on the floor covered by a notebook and i have never had someone do that to me. Crazy story. Good luck.

I'd also like to add that the poster was doing a make-up-final. Only two types of people want make up finals. People who really need it (medical issues, death of family member, etc...) and people who did not study enough for the final. The latter group of people sometimes fake issues to get deferred exams (to get more time to cram) and are at a higher risk of cheating (since faking issues to get deferred exams is already an academic offense).

The OP's story is fishy indeed.

It depends on what schools you apply to to how they'll look at the situation. Most pharmacy schools will look at your all A transcript and wonder why the hell you have a random F. Not one of them is going to dismiss you on the spot unless they're short on time because that stands out like a sore thumb. What would most likely happen is they will ask you about it or there will be a space on the application form to explain anything in your application.

I wouldn't be worried at all honestly. Worst case scenario you have to retake the course which is a definite possibility because pharm schools can't just look past an F but they will be able to work around it in a legitimate way that is fair to you and meets their admissions criteria.

More than likely your professor will not buy your story, legit or not, as I'm sure he/she has heard student excuses his/her entire career as a professor.

Am I the only one that see that there might be nothing wrong at all? I have taken tests where I had been working on them right up until the teacher collected them. Were you still writing when the teacher said "You're done"? He isn't going to stand next to you and wait; he wants your test as the test is over. If this is the case, I wouldn't talk to him about it at all and wait for grades to be posted. He might not have even taken notice of your book. If you do get an F, THEN I would go plead your case.

If he did suspect you were cheating, your fate depends solely on the type of person he is. I've had professors just give students an F for the exam, others F's for the class, and some take it to the academic integrity board. One teacher stated the first day of class that he had students turn in plagiarized exams but he was lazy and didn't want to go through all the required paperwork and meetings, so he just gave them an F on the papers. If you do get an F, you can usually retake the course for forgiveness (twice per career at my school) which will negate the GPA problem, but not the transcript issue. As long as you pass it the second try, it shouldn't hurt your pharmacy chances (but you will likely discuss it in an interview). Just try not to take the class again with the same professor. ;)

thank you

I would be worried about my reputation if I were you too.

In this case, the worse thing that can possibly happen is the professor gives you an F and reports you to your school's Academic Integrity committee. In time, that committee will determine the outcome of the issue.

If you don't have any previous history of cheating and have a long record of good academic performances, then I like to think you should be okay. Things will work out for you.:)

I'd also like to add that the poster was doing a make-up-final. Only two types of people want make up finals. People who really need it (medical issues, death of family member, etc...) and people who did not study enough for the final. The latter group of people sometimes fake issues to get deferred exams (to get more time to cram) and are at a higher risk of cheating (since faking issues to get deferred exams is already an academic offense).

The OP's story is fishy indeed.

The story is fishy because the OP is VERY pessimistic about the chances of this decision being overturned.

If it was ME, I would be arguing with the proctor, dean and anyone else who would listen. Id show that even if the book was out a) it wasnt on a relevant page and b) i cant see that clearly anyway.

If u are innocent then i would appeal the F and have another exam given to me to prove i didn't cheat. U should have no problem pulling a B or an A on such an exam if u did make those good grades as before. The good thing is that it wasn't in ur hands or written on your hand or anything so your story could have some merit to it but you will need to fight to prove you are innocent. gl

Exactly. You should try to convince your professor to give you another exam or something to prove you didn't cheat if you are not at fault. It's better than just letting it go and being accused for nothing and ruining your chances for admission. Just be careful next time though and put everything away properly, or just don't bring anything at all.

It is unfortunate that something like this happens. I have worked for a medical school professor before, and regardless of how difficult or mean he was, he was very reasonable. If you explain the situation clearly then he will understand. Remember to clearly state what happened, to don't add little details that might confuse your professor, and therefore makes the entire story difficult to understand. The least of your worry right now, as of this moment, is whether you will have to retake the class with a F. Your priority is how can you explain the situation to the professor so that you will not get that "CHEATED" sign imprinted in your transcript. Secondly, if your case has to be reviewed by a committee, they will of course examine your entire academic record, if it is spotlessly clean then I think you will be okay.

If they believe that you did cheat, your chance of getting into any professional program, regardless if it is medicine or not, is pretty difficult. All schools have zero tolerance against this. All professional schools worry about their reputation, and accepting a potential cheater is not something they are proud of. If they have to pick a student with a 3.0 GPA versus a 3.8 GPA student who was a cheater, they will rather pick the 3.0 GPA student within seconds, that was what my professor said.

Good luck with everything. I honestly hope everything will turn out okay for you.

Was the open page related anyway to the exam? if the answer is yes then you dont have much to argue abt. I am a teaching assistant and i know the extent some students will go to cheat in an exam. if u are honest abt this, then there is always people who can take up ur case. But if u have that reputation (which u might not even know becos ur fellow students have secretly reported u) then u are screwed. Most professors are smart enough to determine when a student is not telling the truth. with regards to pharmacy school, it will be a hard sell since they want to produce students with high intergrity and a cheating student will be a risk to their reputation as far as your professional conduct is concerned.
Good luck and i hope u are telling the truth because ur intergrity is at stake and once u lose it, it can never be recovered.

Here's the deal with academic dishonesty and pharmacy school, they don't want to give interviews to "cheaters" because they don't want to hear some elaborate story about how the student was accused of cheating and that it wasn't his or her fault during the interview. That is a waste of their time. Secondly, they don't want to have their school reputations jeopardized by academic dishonesty. Before entering college or any professional schools, the first thing they make you do is sign a contract regarding to their zero tolerance rule for cheating. So I'm pretty sure that having your transcript tainted with the word cheating will probably prevent you from getting accepted into professional schools.

With that being said, go talk to your professor and be honest. That is the only thing you can do. If it was by pure bad luck, I really do hope that everything will be alright you. Good luck with everything.