Major duodenal papilla

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sab3156

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can't find much information on this - so thought I would ask here.

Is it accurate to say that the major duodenal papilla contains the structures ampulla of vater and sphincter of oddi? Some places say that the ampulla of vater drains into the major duodenal papilla, but then other places say that the ampulla itself drains its contents into the duodenum through the sphincter of oddi. So I'm thinking that the major duodenal papilla is the structure that is made up of the ampulla and the sphincter.

Any sources that confirm or deny this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it accurate to say that the major duodenal papilla contains the structures ampulla of vater and sphincter of oddi? Some places say that the ampulla of vater drains into the major duodenal papilla, but then other places say that the ampulla itself drains its contents into the duodenum through the sphincter of oddi. So I'm thinking that the major duodenal papilla is the structure that is made up of the ampulla and the sphincter.

Come on. You clearly know the anatomy, and I think even you know that you’re way overthinking this. I promise you that step 1 is not going to ask you whether pancreatic secretions go to the sphincter of oddi or the duodenal papillae first.

I’m currently in Gi right now.

What I took away is that Hepatopancreatic Ampulla is the joining of the Bile Duct and Main Pancreatic Duct which empty into the Major Duodenal Papilla. Bile and pancreatic juices are allowed to enter the duodenum via the Sphincter of Oddi. So if anything it’s probably a structure that demarcates the papilla and ampulla.

Let me know what you think.

Reactions: 1 user
Come on. You clearly know the anatomy, and I think even you know that you’re way overthinking this. I promise you that step 1 is not going to ask you whether pancreatic secretions go to the sphincter of oddi or the duodenal papillae first.

Of course, but I am asking for my own satisfaction as I couldn't find much consistency in the sources.

Reactions: 1 user