• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

premedicine555

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
Hi.

I decided not to major in science since you don't at all need science as a major for premed. I'm actually considering economics and maybe minoring in poli sci.. still unsure.

Is econ a good major for pre-med? Is it hard? I'm either going to UCLA or berkeley. I'm torn between both. But I keep hearing Berkeley is hard to maintain a GPA.. and I know you need a good GPA for med school.

Btw, does anyone know what the requried or GPA most common for getting into a medical (graduate school)?

Is there a statistics link at the AMA website that shows what percentage of students got accepted to what major?

Thanks. I appreciate it :)

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I dont think its harder than any other major, but it shouldnt matter if thats what you enjoy.

As far as average GPA...I would say 3.7-3.75 for caucasians and asians.

The only thing with a major like economics you might get grilled a little more in interviews with the question "why medicine?" but this realy shouldnt bea concern.

About the Ads

SiR99

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
Average GPA is about 3.7

Just to let you know ... they take into account the difficulty of your major. I keep hearing people say that its best to major in history or something else that is thought to be easy, but Adcoms are not stupid, they are people like you and me and they have been to college too. They know what classes are harder then others and what majors are harder then others.

Doctor Doogie

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi.

I decided not to major in science since you don't at all need science as a major for premed. I'm actually considering economics and maybe minoring in poli sci.. still unsure.

Is econ a good major for pre-med? Is it hard? I'm either going to UCLA or berkeley. I'm torn between both. But I keep hearing Berkeley is hard to maintain a GPA.. and I know you need a good GPA for med school.

Btw, does anyone know what the requried or GPA most common for getting into a medical (graduate school)?

Is there a statistics link at the AMA website that shows what percentage of students got accepted to what major?

This question has been asked a million times. So you can major in anything you want as long as you enjoy it enough to scores A's in it.

Good luck!

DD

cdmarshbu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
The above advice is good. Makes A's in your History courses, make A's in your medical school prerequisites...either way you show academic consistency. The real problem is when your overall GPA is markedly higher than your science (BCMP) GPA. If you perform well academically in all types of courses and have a strong MCAT score then your choice of major is irrelevant to medical school admission committees.

whoisthedrizzle

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
spanking nerds with moonrocks
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Just to let you know ... they take into account the difficulty of your major. I keep hearing people say that its best to major in history or something else that is thought to be easy, but Adcoms are not stupid, they are people like you and me and they have been to college too. They know what classes are harder then others and what majors are harder then others.

You got somethin other than anecdote to back that up?

werd

15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
actually, i believe many med schools don't take your major into account when looking at your gpa... the physics major with a 3.4 doesn't stand up to the [insert easier major here] with a 3.8. this is "common knowledge" in the sense that many get-into-med-school reference books mention it and it's consistent with my exposure to admissions committees.

my impression of econ is that it's middle of the road as difficulty goes. i was an econ minor.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The average GPA these days is about a 3.7. You can major in whatever you want as long as you get that GPA. Some majors do have a lower average GPA, so if you want to go to med school you probably want to avoid those majors. Unfortuantely these often seem to be the majors (like engineering) which offer the best chance of getting high starting salary if you don´t get into medical school, or the majors (like the fine arts, or harder liberal arts) which you might find the most interesting (I´ve never met anyone who was facinated by a communications major).

Also you need to do the premedical prereq courses. If you do a major like Ecom, this can mean an extra 30 credits. If you do Biology or Biochem the prereqs are built into your major.

What major you choose will be based on your interests, the amount of financial security you want, and how many credits you can afford to take.

Good luck

[pj]

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Grab an MSAR. It might cost a decent amount, but it'll have all the information you want and more!

About the Ads

Hi.

Who majors in economics?

cdmarshbu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
So does it follow that your choice of major is relevant if your gpa is below the mean?

Possibly, it would be a factor that an admissions committee might refer to if a student has indications that they could perform well in the medical school curriculum. If you had a 38 MCAT and a 3.3 GPA then there is a high chance the committee would refer to your application and see what you majored in. However, in most cases borderline numbers equal borderline consideration regardless of how "difficult" your major might be.

CubaLibre

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
i know an asian dude with a bullsht psych major who's currently at harvard med.

premedicine555

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
I know this sounds stupid.. but what major can you get the highest GPA in for pre med? Besides psychology.. Is there a website w/ stats?

And do i also need to have a higher science GPA than overall?

Thanks everyone! :)

CubaLibre

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I know this sounds stupid.. but what major can you get the highest GPA in for pre med? Besides psychology.. Is there a website w/ stats?

Your question indicates that you think to be pre-med you only have a few options for majors. "pre-med" means absolutely nothing. It is not a major. It is not a designation. It is an imaginary idea. You can major in any subject you wish. You just have to take gen chem, orgo, bio, physics, sometimes a math, and sometimes an English if you want to go to medical school. That's all. As to what major is easiest to do well in, that all differs by institution and also depends on your own skill set.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

O lordy......

Now you're starting to think the right way...

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

You can probably obtain the highest GPA in a major like biomedical engineering, aeroscience engineering, or something of that sort....

You also need to make As in all your science classes, and Cs in all your gen ed classes...If not, they may ask you "so it looks like you do well in English, we think you should be an english teacher, sorry."

You should strive for atleast 3 first author publications. Also make sure you get in good with all you're professors: bring them cookies, cupcakes, Vodka, Rum...whatever they like..
You should also come up with a way to cheat on the MCAT..a 45 would look really nice, but I think as long as you get a 42 you are fine.

If you do this...you will be the ultimate premed

About the Ads

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2008
La Jolla
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I dont think so. It's info you can find on the AAMC website, so I was just stating the obvious.

holy crap you're right, I never even noticed that on the website.

man it's tough to be asian/caucasian/foreign/no-race-respond

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
holy crap you're right, I never even noticed that on the website.

man it's tough to be asian/caucasian/foreign/no-race-respond
Lol, lets not turn it into one of those threads;)

I think this thread is absurd enough, with some senior in hs asking us what he should major in.

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2008
La Jolla
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Lol, lets not turn it into one of those threads;)

I think this thread is absurd enough, with some senior in hs asking us what he should major in.

No thread os "absurd enough," this is SDN remember? :D

but okay i'll be good :)

premedicine555

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
um. i'm never going to ask another question again. haha. if you don't want to answer a question just ignore this thread.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
No, by all means ask questions, just make sure to utilize the search function first:D

Zyvox

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Average GPA is about 3.7

What you're having tea parties with Adcom's now

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
What you're having tea parties with Adcom's now
You can read the MSAR, they say similar things. BUt! it would be much better to have a 3.8 in history then a 3.5 in aeronautical biochemicalwippeedippe engineering. The reason why ppl say to major in what you like is because you tend to do significanly better in something you enjoy as opposed to something you are just using as a stepping stool to med school.

Also, According to the MSAR they take into account the difficulty of your undergrad, and for some schools that they are unfamilar with they tend to weigh the MCAT slightly more.

Zyvox

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
You can read the MSAR, they say similar things. BUt! it would be much better to have a 3.8 in history then a 3.5 in aeronautical biochemicalwippeedippe engineering. The reason why ppl say to major in what you like is because you tend to do significanly better in something you enjoy as opposed to something you are just using as a stepping stool to med school.

Also, According to the MSAR they take into account the difficulty of your undergrad, and for some schools that they are unfamilar with they tend to weigh the MCAT slightly more.

Aeronautical biochemical engineering? Geez you've got a point there, what can I say. I hear they make the best doctors.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Aeronautical biochemical engineering? Geez you've got a point there, what can I say. I hear they make the best doctors.

Yeah, im sure they do.
But hey, If you dont want to believe me, dont. Im just telling you what I read and that is they may take into account the difficulty of your major and institution.

Zyvox

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Yeah, im sure they do.
But hey, If you dont want to believe me, dont. Im just telling you what I read and that is they may take into account the difficulty of your major and institution.

Well if you're into statistics, then you'll know according aamc, that humanity majors do better on the biology section of the mcat then actual biology majors, and in my humble and personal opinion it really makes no difference what you major in.

Wylde

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Most majors are graded on a 4.0 scale. However, if you major in either polish, theatre, or women's studies you can actually get a 4.35 gpa.

You GPA is the average of your grades in every class. In each class, you receive a grade on a 4.0 scale, regardless of what major you are in.

Hope that helps

/sarcasm off

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.