Major help asap!!! Secondary was lost!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dk33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Basically, without revealing too many details on an online thread, and without boring you all with an absolutely horrible, but really long story, I kept sending letters of interest etc to a school, and hadnt gotten any responses....my premed advisor told me that calling wouldnt make a differnce given my absolutely abysmal and "non competitive enough" stats (http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=16390). (I asked a couple x's...kept telling me dont call, letters might matter, at this particular school, phone calls might just bother them and you dont wanna risk that).

I finally tought, you know what, Its worth risking it and making the call today, just to keep myself "in their face" and whatever...anywhooooo
to make a long story short, due to a "glitch in the system" (a quote), my application was misplaced (they converted to an online submission this summer). I applied in August, got notification....check was cashed.... Its now december. This was my top choice school. I was waitlisted there last year. I am beyond beyond devistated. These are those horror stories I always hear, but never thought could actually hapen to me.

I faxed them a signed copy of the PDF copy of my application that they emailed me today (yup! they HAD it...It just was "misplaced"), they needed another signature. I HAND delivered another copy of ths application they emailed me, along with: letter of interest/intent/update/requesting[read: begging for] an interview, and my CV.

Is there anyone else that I can call or email or I dont know?? A copy of my newest publication? I dont know!! This is really my top choice school, for so many reasons. I was in love with them last year, interview went really well, I loved everything about it, but interviewed late, so I wasnt expecting anything more than a waitlist. I applied really early this year, and fine, mistakes happen, whatever. I just would do anything for them to consider me. PLEASE!! I am like beyond devistated, I dont know who to turn to :(.

TIA :-\

Members don't see this ad.

That's really too bad, but I'm not sure there's much more you could possibly do. This is a classic example of why one absolutely MUST stay on top of things with med schools; whoever told you calling them was a bad idea, or at least sending them an email gave you really bum advice.

That said, for a bit of unsolicited advice, it also looks like you didn't do yourself any favors with your list of schools; it's REALLY top heavy for someone with your stats. No matter how outstanding your ECs are (and judging by your MDApps, you really stress those, so I guess you're really hoping they will outshine your stats), a 29 is a 29 and a 3.4 is a 3.4, and all of your ECs and obvious devotion to the medical field aren't going to allay their concerns about your ability to handle the academic rigors of med school or passing STEP1. I wish you all the luck in the world, but I'm not surprised that school gave you the advice to get a masters. If you don't get in this cycle because of this, I strongly recommend that you take that school's advice and improve your stats; your ECs are already all that anyone could ask for.

sorry about your situation i hope things improve after the break.

just checked your mdapps. when did downstate send you that letter, i haven't heard from them at all...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools issue interview invitations through January/February. Do you know until when this particular school (Einstein?) reviews applications and offers interviews? Unless the last day is sometime soon, I would try not to worry so much about it; your application is now complete, and they've received your strong letter of interest. Some applicants wait many months before hearing from schools that they are interested in, and while I do feel for your individual situation, I'm not sure what else there is for you to do (I would not suggest going overboard with pre-interview interest letters).

Good luck to you! I hope that everything works out.

So Basically, without revealing too many details on an online thread, and without boring you all with an absolutely horrible, but really long story, I kept sending letters of interest etc to a school, and hadnt gotten any responses....my premed advisor told me that calling wouldnt make a differnce given my absolutely abysmal and "non competitive enough" stats (http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=16390). (I asked a couple x's...kept telling me dont call, letters might matter, at this particular school, phone calls might just bother them and you dont wanna risk that).

I finally tought, you know what, Its worth risking it and making the call today, just to keep myself "in their face" and whatever...anywhooooo
to make a long story short, due to a "glitch in the system" (a quote), my application was misplaced (they converted to an online submission this summer). I applied in August, got notification....check was cashed.... Its now december. This was my top choice school. I was waitlisted there last year. I am beyond beyond devistated. These are those horror stories I always hear, but never thought could actually hapen to me.

I faxed them a signed copy of the PDF copy of my application that they emailed me today (yup! they HAD it...It just was "misplaced"), they needed another signature. I HAND delivered another copy of ths application they emailed me, along with: letter of interest/intent/update/requesting[read: begging for] an interview, and my CV.

Is there anyone else that I can call or email or I dont know?? A copy of my newest publication? I dont know!! This is really my top choice school, for so many reasons. I was in love with them last year, interview went really well, I loved everything about it, but interviewed late, so I wasnt expecting anything more than a waitlist. I applied really early this year, and fine, mistakes happen, whatever. I just would do anything for them to consider me. PLEASE!! I am like beyond devistated, I dont know who to turn to :(.

TIA :-\

You have done all that you can do. Look at it this way, at least now, you will stand out in someone's mind. Put this behind you and hope for the best. You never know, this could be the break that you need. Why is it so easy for you to dwell on what your pre-med advisor says? Why is it easier to be rattled about something bad. Your secondary mishap just as easily could be the thing that puts you over. Move on and stay positive. You can always send a copy of you acceptance letter to your premed adviser as a token of thanks.

when i read the title i thought that tulane had lost another application .... haha. sorry about your situation i hope things improve after the break.

just checked your mdapps. when did downstate send you that letter, i haven't heard from them at all...
Back in October I think. I emailed them asking for advice. downstate isnt the school I am talking about though, its not my top choice, and their advice (although some of it was very resonable and appreciated), just seemed like an automatically generated form letter- I mean, sure my GPA isnt perfect, but my MCAT isnt that far off for Downstate, and they told me to improve my volunteer activities and get more shadowng exposure...did they even LOOK at my application before sending me the letter?

I dont know what happened at tulane. who did it happen to and what exactly happened??

the person who told me not to call was my PREMED ADVISOR. not some random "out of touch" physician who graduated 25 years ago and hasnt had any involvement since. I sent a couple of letters, and just recieved automated like responses, thanks so much, dk33. thank you for the update dk33. your update will be added to your file for evaluation by our admissions committee. I figured if there was a problem with my application, it wouldnt get added to my [nonexistent?] file? I mean, like i said, my check was cashed, I was told I was complete, how much more checking was I supposed to have done? call every school and say, I know I got an email from you, but are you SURE? are you positive? were there any "glitches"? Trust me, I am all for being proactive, but that would just seem compulsive, in my opinion, and hte last thing I would want to do would be get onto the bad side of someone sitting in some admissions office.

gospursgo, I know my schools are "top heavy" but if you read through my MDapps, I explained how leaving the NY area is not really an option for us (my husband and kid) for multiple reasons, so my hands are very tied in where I can apply due to family constraints.

with regard to getting a masters (as per the advice of the random form letter from downstate): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=584399
pretty unanimously I was told, for a 3.6, wont do much to help me, these programs are geared toward those with 3.0ish range GPAs, hoping to improve to 3.6 range....

use this as an anecdote at your future interviews of how you deal w/ stressful situations :) Wish you the best w/ your other choices...don't worry too much about this school.

You have done all that you can do. Look at it this way, at least now, you will stand out in someone's mind. Put this behind you and hope for the best. You never know, this could be the break that you need. Why is it so easy for you to dwell on what your pre-med advisor says? Why is it easier to be rattled about something bad. Your secondary mishap just as easily could be the thing that puts you over. Move on and stay positive. You can always send a copy of you acceptance letter to your premed adviser as a token of thanks.

Thanks

That is kindof what I wanted to hear from SOMEONE on here. You sound just like my mom (stay positive...maybe this is that "break" that will help...etc), and its refreshing for someone to tell me this might all be "for the best!" thank you ALOT.
I am not rattled, just annoyed, that a "glitch" ended up like this. And yes its irrelivent cuz what happened happened, but why would someone tell me not to call a school so as not to "rock the boat" so to speak? Yes I am gonna move on and thats it, and I truly look forward to the day where I can surprise my premed advisor w/ an acceptance.

gospursgo, I know my schools are "top heavy" but if you read through my MDapps, I explained how leaving the NY area is not really an option for us (my husband and kid) for multiple reasons, so my hands are very tied in where I can apply due to family constraints.

with regard to getting a masters (as per the advice of the random form letter from downstate): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=584399
pretty unanimously I was told, for a 3.6, wont do much to help me, these programs are geared toward those with 3.0ish range GPAs, hoping to improve to 3.6 range....

My apologies; I should have read your app all the way through. Good luck, anyways.

but I'm not surprised that school gave you the advice to get a masters. If you don't get in this cycle because of this, I strongly recommend that you take that school's advice and improve your stats; your ECs are already all that anyone could ask for.

just to clarify, "that school" (the one who advised a masters program in a "form letter" that was so obviously not written to me as they advised that I get some shadowing experience, and get involved in some extracurricular activities, along with teh advice that I improve my mcat---they never noted my score---, and I improve my gpa---never noted my gpa---), is not the school in question. The school in question-I interviewed there late in the season last year (applied late, retook January mcat which they were willng to consider) but was essentially interviewing for a waitlist position at that point. Two different schools.

My apologies; I should have read your app all the way through. Good luck, anyways.
haha. No prob. Trust me, I wish I could apply to every single medical school in the country. I would move anywhere. But then who exactly is supposed to work to pay our rent and for childcare as I spend 4 years in medical school? There are so many other factors...wish it were that easy, trust me...its frustrating to be so limited and tied down, but family is family.

just to clarify, "that school" (the one who advised a masters program in a "form letter" that was so obviously not written to me as they advised that I get some shadowing experience, and get involved in some extracurricular activities, along with teh advice that I improve my mcat---they never noted my score---, and I improve my gpa---never noted my gpa---), is not the school in question. The school in question-I interviewed there late in the season last year (applied late, retook January mcat which they were willng to consider) but was essentially interviewing for a waitlist position at that point. Two different schools.

I know; I read your app far enough to find that out :)

I'm sorry, but it's really not useful to try to be secretive on here when you put on your MDapps that Einstein is your top choice, and that you interviewed and were waitlisted there last year...

Good luck, though. Hopefully one of those schools comes through for you.

You have done all that you can do. Look at it this way, at least now, you will stand out in someone's mind.
Is there anything else I can do at this point to make myself stand out even more? I am really upset because its already december and IT WAS NOT MY FAULT. I just figured they were silently rejecting me, which was especially disappointing being that they are/were my top choice school, and I intereviewed well and was waitlisted (ie NOT flat out rejected, late in the cycle) last year.

Other schools (such as colorado, perfect example), sent emails, like "we recieved your payment, but your secondary appication isnt complete yet. be aware that our deadline is blah blah blah." And I DID call. Its not like I wasnt on top of it. I was told a few months ago that all my paperwork was recieved. So I have no idea what happened, it was an error, NOT on my part. should I send them like a copy of an article I co-authored that has been published since I applied (and was waitlisted) last cycle? anything else I can send them? tell them? show them to emphasize how interested I am?

i've read a few of your other posts on here about your situation....

i don't think Einstein is concerned about your lack of interest they are concerned about your stats. As long as you mentioned your publication in one of your updates i think that's sufficient. To be completely honest i think Einstein interviewed you last year as a courtesy because you went to undergrad there...seeing as your MCAT score of 26 (at the time) is 7 point below their median.

My advice would be two things....concentrate on your NYMC interview since it is basically your best shot at med school. If you don't get in this cycle the ONLY thing that is holding you back is your MCAT score. Not only do you want to go to school in NY state but you need to go to school near NYC where the median MCAT of all the schools (except NYMC) is 32-35....a 29 just isn't gonna cut it in such a hyper-competitive region.

Best of luck with the rest of this application cycle.