Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Major MCAT content changes during the past few years?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Avicenna04, May 5, 2007.

1. Avicenna04

Avicenna04 Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Hi guys,

I was hoping to start my studying by going through a 2001 REA complete MCAT book to get familiar with the content. This book, however, is almost 6 years old.

I was then hoping to do some closer reading with the 6th edition EK books supplemented with some 2004 kaplan course books.

So basically, i'll be studying books that are all pre-CBT.

Could someone tell me the major changes that happened to the MCAT exam during the past few years?

I remember someone saying that they took out organic chemistry from the test? Or give less questions? (something that is covered heavily in the 2001book).

Any other major things i should ignore while going through the older books?

Cheers!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    MDApps:
    They didn't take out organic chemistry, but they took out a few topics in 2003 - aromatic compounds and alkenes/alkynes.

I don't think there were any other changes, though I'm not 100% sure.

4. Avicenna04

Avicenna04 Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Hmmm, ok. So when books come out with new editions, it is merely to fix errors? Not to account for a change in content?