Major mistake on AMCAS...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaldoBloom98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I made a completely careless mistake on my AMCAS and feel sick right now. While filling out my application, I wasn't sure whether I should apply as "disadvantaged" since my parents received federal assistance and I also had a lot of other family issues that affected my pre-college education. I ultimately decided not to since I didn't want my family situation coming up in interviews. I just realized today that I had checked "yes" on the box and wrote in "come back to this later" as a reminder while I was making a decision. I completely forgot to change it before submitting and it's still on my verified application. I read through my application a number of times before submitting it and I have no idea how I kept scanning straight past this.

If anyone has any advice on what to do from here it would be greatly appreciated. I also realize this is going to be very self-identifying...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

I made a completely careless mistake on my AMCAS and feel sick right now. While filling out my application, I wasn't sure whether I should apply as "disadvantaged" since my parents received federal assistance and I also had a lot of other family issues that affected my pre-college education. I ultimately decided not to since I didn't want my family situation coming up in interviews. I just realized today that I had checked "yes" on the box and wrote in "come back to this later" as a reminder while I was making a decision. I completely forgot to change it before submitting and it's still on my verified application. I read through my application a number of times before submitting it and I have no idea how I kept scanning straight past this.

If anyone has any advice on what to do from here it would be greatly appreciated. I also realize this is going to be very self-identifying...

I wouldn't worry too much! You left out information on a question skipped by most applicants. If you think the information will be highly relevant, you might be able to email schools directly or attach what you intended to include.

There's not much else you can do about the verified AMCAS, so try not to worry unless you don't receive any news by Thanksgiving. People like @Goro and @LizzyM may be able to tell you how much this will impact you, but I doubt it will hurt you.

While it is careless, it's not a mistake that brings your character or honesty into question. I would probably look into contacting schools and seeing if they could put a note or something on your app. If you can't, oh well, hopefully schools will just ignore the status altogether. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't worry too much! You left out information on a question skipped by most applicants. If you think the information will be highly relevant, you might be able to email schools directly or attach what you intended to include.

There's not much else you can do about the verified AMCAS, so try not to worry unless you don't receive any news by Thanksgiving. People like @Goro and @LizzyM may be able to tell you how much this will impact you, but I doubt it will hurt you.

While it is careless, it's not a mistake that brings your character or honesty into question. I would probably look into contacting schools and seeing if they could put a note or something on your app. If you can't, oh well, hopefully schools will just ignore the status altogether. :)

Thanks for your responses! It's just frustrating because it doesn't just look careless, it really was careless. I'm still in shock I didn't catch it.

@Goro @LizzyM @gonnif @gyngyn any thoughts on this from the adcom side? Really appreciate any input.