Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by starrydreamer, Feb 14, 2007.
Do you have any acceptances? "Just" going to UCSD is gonna get you flamed in this forum at least.
Yes, I've been accepted to UCSD.
Sorry, I had no intention of saying I'm not satisfied with going to UCSD. I was ecstatic. It's just that after reading a lot on this forum about how dreary UCSD was, I found that my initial joy deflated a lot.
But really, what would you do in this situation?
I am sadly refreshing this page waiting for advice/opinions...
i have a sinking feeling that you're gonna get some rough responses from this, but here's my take:
other than being tired of interviewing, is there any other reason you don't want to go to the interview? are finances an issue? if there is NO way you'd go to rochester over sd, then don't go. if you'd honestly like to check out another school to better inform your decision, then go. you earned the interview, go to it if you feel so inclined.
it also sounds like you liked san diego but have since been "turned off" to it from others' thoughts. trust your gut, too.
if it's making you think this hard, i think you want to go to the interview. just do it...
If you don't want to go to the other schools, don't interview.
If you don't think you have a shot at the other schools, don't interview.
If you've already been accepted, it's your choice of whether to go or not. If you were happy with UCSD, I'd go on that Jamacian cruise too...celebrate your acceptance!
If I were invited on more interviews, I would go just to see what other schools have to offer...but not going can't hurt if you'd be happy at UCSD....also, where is home? Does proximity make a difference at all?
Either way, you've been accepted, so whatever you choose to do will be okay. I hope that you start feeling less like crap.
oh yeah, don't know if this will impact your decision, but weather is getting crappier these days in new york. it's started to snow in nyc, and some parts of upstate ny have been getting dumped for weeks. not sure how bad it's gotten around rochester, though.
Hmmm, thanks for the input so far people.
I'm a California girl, so I'm not sure if I can handle the cold NY weather, but on the other hand that is one reason I want to go check out the east coast.
gah, ok, still thinking here...
I think alot of the bad things you've heard about UCSD relate to the preclinical part of the curriculum. If such claims are true, I guess the best you can do is to make the best of that short time and move on. No reason to move across the country to pay more money IMO.
Although I might recommend you to consider other lower ranked schools over UCSD, I don't think U Roch or USC are high enough.
People say UCSD has a rigorous curriculum, but that's really only compared to other high ranking (top 20) schools. Most of these schools have relaxed in-class hours because they rely on their highly motivated students to do the grunt work (see PBL).
In truth, UCSD's lecture hours and courseload are about the same as the majority of lower tier schools. If you choose U Roch or USC over UCSD, you will likely work just as hard and simply have less pull when applying for residency programs.
I think you gotta do what's best for you. Perhaps you should s ee if some of the URochester students on here would be willing to tell you a bit about the program and help you decide whether its worth it. Try seeing if there's any med students from URochester on the allo forums who may be able to help give you some advice.
Then there's the pros and cons of tuition and fees etc. Since I'm assuming you are from California originally, URochester might be a bit more expensive. I'm not sure if they are considered a private school or state school, I think they are private. But either way, regardless of what they are you'd have a lot more debt coming out of there if you are a cali resident when you compare tuition prices to Cali schools.
So I'd weigh whether its worth it or not to you personally. UCs are very reputable from what the rankings say so if you think you'll be happy at UCSD don't think it will be a bad thing to decline the offer. If, however, there is the slightest inkling of thought that you think you might like the other schools more then go ahead and go to the interview.
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I guess once a CA girl, always a CA girl.