• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Do you have any acceptances? "Just" going to UCSD is gonna get you flamed in this forum at least.

About the Ads

starrydreamer

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yes, I've been accepted to UCSD.

Sorry, I had no intention of saying I'm not satisfied with going to UCSD. I was ecstatic. It's just that after reading a lot on this forum about how dreary UCSD was, I found that my initial joy deflated a lot.

But really, what would you do in this situation?

I am sadly refreshing this page waiting for advice/opinions...

lilold3chordme

Line Cook
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i have a sinking feeling that you're gonna get some rough responses from this, but here's my take:

other than being tired of interviewing, is there any other reason you don't want to go to the interview? are finances an issue? if there is NO way you'd go to rochester over sd, then don't go. if you'd honestly like to check out another school to better inform your decision, then go. you earned the interview, go to it if you feel so inclined.

it also sounds like you liked san diego but have since been "turned off" to it from others' thoughts. trust your gut, too.

if it's making you think this hard, i think you want to go to the interview. just do it...

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If you've already been accepted, it's your choice of whether to go or not. If you were happy with UCSD, I'd go on that Jamacian cruise too...celebrate your acceptance!

If I were invited on more interviews, I would go just to see what other schools have to offer...but not going can't hurt if you'd be happy at UCSD....also, where is home? Does proximity make a difference at all?

Either way, you've been accepted, so whatever you choose to do will be okay. I hope that you start feeling less like crap.

lilold3chordme

Line Cook
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
oh yeah, don't know if this will impact your decision, but weather is getting crappier these days in new york. it's started to snow in nyc, and some parts of upstate ny have been getting dumped for weeks. not sure how bad it's gotten around rochester, though.

starrydreamer

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hmmm, thanks for the input so far people.

I'm a California girl, so I'm not sure if I can handle the cold NY weather, but on the other hand that is one reason I want to go check out the east coast.

gah, ok, still thinking here...:(

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
Hilbert Space
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Sorry, I had no intention of saying I'm not satisfied with going to UCSD. I was ecstatic. It's just that after reading a lot on this forum about how dreary UCSD was, I found that my initial joy deflated a lot.

I think alot of the bad things you've heard about UCSD relate to the preclinical part of the curriculum. If such claims are true, I guess the best you can do is to make the best of that short time and move on. No reason to move across the country to pay more money IMO.

pyrois

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2006
Berkeley, CA
Status (Visible)
Although I might recommend you to consider other lower ranked schools over UCSD, I don't think U Roch or USC are high enough.

People say UCSD has a rigorous curriculum, but that's really only compared to other high ranking (top 20) schools. Most of these schools have relaxed in-class hours because they rely on their highly motivated students to do the grunt work (see PBL).

In truth, UCSD's lecture hours and courseload are about the same as the majority of lower tier schools. If you choose U Roch or USC over UCSD, you will likely work just as hard and simply have less pull when applying for residency programs.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]

I think you gotta do what's best for you. Perhaps you should s ee if some of the URochester students on here would be willing to tell you a bit about the program and help you decide whether its worth it. Try seeing if there's any med students from URochester on the allo forums who may be able to help give you some advice.

Then there's the pros and cons of tuition and fees etc. Since I'm assuming you are from California originally, URochester might be a bit more expensive. I'm not sure if they are considered a private school or state school, I think they are private. But either way, regardless of what they are you'd have a lot more debt coming out of there if you are a cali resident when you compare tuition prices to Cali schools.

So I'd weigh whether its worth it or not to you personally. UCs are very reputable from what the rankings say so if you think you'll be happy at UCSD don't think it will be a bad thing to decline the offer. If, however, there is the slightest inkling of thought that you think you might like the other schools more then go ahead and go to the interview.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.