Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Majors - a really stupid question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by QHamp, Dec 4, 2002.

1. QHamp

QHamp Armstrong Fan
    7+ Year Member

Ok - I went to see the college guidance counseler at our local 2 yr community college. Mentioned that I my main goal is to eventually become an MD. Got the same response from him as I get from everybody else. They all look at this bright-eyed high school student and think "He crazy! How can he know what he wants? Doesn't he know its at least 12 YEARS of study (or trench warfare, or prison - whatever name you like)

At any rate, I appreciated his input, but he was not as helpful as I had hoped he would be.

So I am once again poring over college catalogs, trying to decide what to study and when to study it. I realize that Med schools usually have basic prerequisites, and I gotta know - what's the point in having a major? Why couldn't a feller' just get the basics and go for it? (Is that what they call "premed"?)

I feel pretty stupid asking this, cause I figure the answer is a no-brainer. So come on, make me look bad! :laugh:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

Being "premed" just simply means you plan on applying to medical school one day and hopefully get in. To even get to the application process you gotta complete the premed requirements(which are similar for most medical schools).

I think for most medical schools you need to have completed your bachelors degree before enrolling. So since you must have completed your bachelors you must have a "major" to complete it in. A lot of premeds are science minded as it is so they choose some sort of biological science major so they will be taking care of the medical school prerequisites and working towards their major as well. However you can major in anything as long as you eventually receive your bachelors degree before matriculation into medical school and as long as you fulfill the required premed courses to apply to a particular medical school. Therefore you could major in English and get your bachelors and as long as you took all of the required premed classes along the way you could apply to med school. So I guess the point of having a "major" is to graduate with a bachelors degree. I don't know of any colleges/universities that allow you to get your bachelors degree in nothing; so you need a major. With that said choose a major that you would be most happy in whether it be biology or theatre as you will probably get better grades doing something you enjoy.

Good luck!

4. QHamp

QHamp Armstrong Fan
    7+ Year Member

Thanks man - I think I've got it now