Majors and minors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lindbergjb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I am a senior in high school right now looking into the career of dentistry. I was planning on majoring in chemistry, but I'm not really sure. I have been told it is a relatively hard major (physical-chem). So, I'd like to hear what everyone else has majored and how they felt about that major. Thanks much

Members don't see this ad.

You don't want to pick a major, just because others say it is an easy one. I am a math major and some people are saying I am crazy for choosing such a hard major. However, I am enjoying my math courses so do not find them as difficult as those who don't have any interest in math.
So here is my advice: Pick something you enjoy. What subject(s) do you like?

Pick whatever you feel like - just make sure you complete those prereqs and you should be just fine.

Most people opt to major in something science related because the prereqs would already be included in the major curriculum. Hence, they do not need to take additional courses to complete the major.

Members don't see this ad :)
i really dont know what I like because I havn't had any classes yet. However, I tested out of Ap physics and Calc this year and i really like physics. So does anyone know anything about a physcis, chem, biology major?

Do you have to declare a major your first year? And if you do, does your school have a liberal policy for changing your major?
If either are true, than you could just work on prereqs during the first year or two and use that to decide what major to choose/change to.

i agree with SanOnofre, see if you like anything in the prereqs, since majoring in one of those will make your life a touch easier because of overlap. but if you find something in the liberal arts that you feel empassioned about or giddy-nerdy, then definitately go with that. you're going to be spending a lot of time in your major, so you better like it.

personally, i came in undeclared and needed to figure out if i liked chemistry before going through the whole pre-dent process. i thought i would major in either anthro or bio, so i took a chem and anthro course first. when my first year was done, i really only wanted to look into bio courses, so i took one my second year and found that i liked it and i could do well. so, i declared in biology. i also noticed that i was taking a lot of comparative literature courses, so i decided to minor in that too. the moral, i guess, is to just come to college with an open mind so you can pick your major/minor wisely. you don't have to major in certain areas in order to become a dentist, and admissions people even like nonbiology/nonscience majors, so long as they do well in the prereqs and DAT.

for a none science major, would it be wise to get a business major?

for a none science major, would it be wise to get a business major?

It would definitely be useful, but don't stress about it. There are plenty of seminars and courses that are designed to teach medical professionals about running a practice. They're very specific and directly apply to you and your career, while a major in business is more general. If majoring in business is something you're interested in or something you want to do, then go for it. If not, then don't.

Undergrad is your chance to explore your other interests. Once you get into dental school, it's all science. Go in undeclared if you don't know. Most people change their majors a million times before they finally settle on something. Take a class or two in the various areas you're interested in, and then major in whichever you like the best. Enjoy yourself and pursue your interests.

Majoring in a non-science subject can be tough. The coursework isn't hard - trying to fit everything into a limited schedule can be hard. Not only do you have your major requirements, but you have your pre-dental requirements also. You're pretty much double-majoring. I have more requirements for my dental pre-reqs than I do for my actual major. But having other non-science courses is a really nice break from all the bio and chem classes. The reason so many people major in a hard science is because dental pre-reqs mostly overlap with major requirements.

Basically, a non-science major will not hurt your chances when applying to dental schools, so just pick something you like.

Do you have to declare a major your first year? And if you do, does your school have a liberal policy for changing your major?
If either are true, than you could just work on prereqs during the first year or two and use that to decide what major to choose/change to.

"I DECLARE BIOLOGY!"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuGIgf-ICHM

You know I've never seen anybody say they study sexology. There are actually graduate programs for that. :D

Wow, that's a pretty HOT major (if they have one for undergrad), but i am sure it will come up during the interview. That will be quite interesting.

Wow, that's a pretty HOT major (if they have one for undergrad), but i am sure it will come up during the interview. That will be quite interesting.

I don't think I'd be able to keep a straight face if someone questioned me and I was a "sexology" major... LOL.:laugh:

dude im a senior too. maybe we will be in the same school

I'm going to madison and after that, try to gain acceptance to either marquette of U of M in Minnesota. Both facilites have had the dental schools rerenovated, which is nice for up coming students. So if you are located in the midwest, then maybe we will be in the same school.