Medical Make It Pop: Your Residency or Medical School Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Many of you already know that I feel very strongly that the personal statement should be substantive and crafted in a persuasive essay format… Yet, the introduction is a place where you can let your hair down (to a point) and write in a narrative fashion. It helps to start your essay with a “clincher,” something that will convince the reader your statement is worth reading: I found a short piece in an old Stanford Magazine to be an interesting reminder of what a dedicated writer can do with a personal statement intro. The author compiled a list of first lines from the application essays of Stanford’s newest college class at the time.

Some of my favorites:

Unlike many mathematicians, I live in an irrational world; I feel that my life is defined by a certain amount of irrationalities that bloom too frequently, such as my brief foray in front of 400 people without my pants.

When I was 8 years old, I shocked my family and a local archaeologist by discovering artifacts dating back almost 3,500 years.

As an Indian-American, I am forever bound to the hyphen.

Note that these introductions catch the reader’s attention, while also saying something about the writer’s qualities and/or sense of self. For help with your personal statement, contact me.

Members don't see this ad.