Making a new set of friends every 4 years for the rest of my life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like a never ending cycle

Make bunch of friends in highschool, loose touch with all but a couple of them.

Make bunch of friends in college, loose touch with all but a couple of them.

" " medschool, " "

" " residency " "

" " fellowship " "

Members don't see this ad.

There are different types of "friends". The ones that stay in touch despite geographical distance are true friends.

Then you have other friends that you'll only hang out with or talk to when partying, playing sports, working out, studying, going to the movies etc. These are functional friends that will eventually fade away when that common activity between you two stops occurring.

Members don't see this ad :)

" " medschool, " "

" " residency " "

" " fellowship " "

it's the all but a couple that really count...and you accumulate and keep those forever

And then you die.

But I'm going to sound like a major nerd for saying this but. If you remember your friends and keep them in your heart then its like they've never gone. :D You'll make more and more friends and hey maybe the world will get a little bit more friendly and happy as a result.

The ones that don't stick with you are just allies.

With things like facebook it's much easier to keep in touch with old friends, so not necessarily.

" " medschool, " "

" " residency " "

" " fellowship " "

Thats everyone, unless you live in a really small town. Not just med students.

" " medschool, " "

" " residency " "

" " fellowship " "
I prefer quality.

friends aren't as valuable as you think them to be. they are temporary amusement, and easily interchangeable. then again, i don't have friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
friends aren't as valuable as you think them to be. they are temporary amusement, and easily interchangeable. then again, i don't have friends.

hahahaha funny. i would disagree tho. one semester i took orgo 2, genetics, bio 2, micro bio and calc c all in 1 semester, i almost died. so many times i was gonna withdraw from them but then i had a couple of friends on my side and they helped me through. of course i did most of the leg work:). in conclusion, friends can make life easier for you in ways you cannot imagine, its much better to have them than to not spend the effort to make them.

And then you die.

But I'm going to sound like a major nerd for saying this but. If you remember your friends and keep them in your heart then its like they've never gone. :D You'll make more and more friends and hey maybe the world will get a little bit more friendly and happy as a result.

You must have watched a lot of Yu-gi-oh as a kid.

BLUE EYES WHITE FRIENDSHIP

You must have watched a lot of Yu-gi-oh as a kid.

BLUE EYES WHITE FRIENDSHIP

Oh God its from Kingdom Hearts. It is not and has nothing to do with Tea's magical ink which kept on reappearing through out season 1. Doh.:laugh:

Oh God its from Kingdom Hearts. It is not and has nothing to do with Tea's magical ink which kept on reappearing through out season 1. Doh.:laugh:

Clearly magical friendship ink has a causal relationship with the Heart of the Cards.

Down 500+ Life Points --> remembrance of friendship moment --> imagery of ink and hand thing --> opponent confused as to length of turn --> sneakily slip needed card to top of deck.

tumblr_l05x7of5dM1qzx7yso1_500.jpg

I wouldn't mind making new friends in med school. I missed out on doing this as an undergraduate because I kept in touch with my highschool "friends" (we go to the same state school an hour from home). Turns out a lot of them were just backstabbing beasts that are always looking out for the perfect moment to catch you in your worst and take advantage of it. Now, I do have some friends that I met in college, but I feel like an outsider because they've known eachother for a while now. I know it all comes down to POOR CHOICES on my part, but I'm looking forward to make better choices in the future.

So, if it's a true friend, you shouldn't worry about it because chances are you'll keep in touch even if you don't see eachother often. Good luck!

" " medschool, " "

" " residency " "

" " fellowship " "

I suppose you could always just not make friends. It's better to have befriended and lost than to never have had a friend during that 4 years.

The only friends that are with me wherever I go are my friends from SDN

Despite my tendency to burn bridges, I actually have kept a few friendships alive once I went off to college. Some friends will always be there, others will just fade away...or hit you up for math help.

There's a difference between friends and acquaintances.

In this day and age it's really not that hard to keep up with old friends... Also, say what you want about physician salaries, etc but everyone is going to make enough that they can pretty regularly buy round trip plane tickets to go visit people... you just have to be motivated to do it