making a resume (and questions about what to put)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennis1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i was just wondering how to make a good resume for med schools (Formatting and what to include). And also, i did research during the summer and got paid for it (as scholarship money). So could i put that as an award? - cuz i'm really lacking in that category.

Thx for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you making a resume for med schools? Anything that you would normally put on a resume will be entered into AMCAS, where there is a lot more space to write details about each activity. I have yet to need my resume for anything medical school related. Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools will accept them as an "update" to your application (for example, I know that BU allows you to upload one via their online application service). Whether or not sending in a résumé will be a benefit or a waste of time, however, is going to depend on the individual applicant. In my case, for example, I find it far easier to just send in update letters, as my résumé contains a lot of information that is already available to the adcoms via the standard application and I would not want to be redundant.

That web site was more for current medical students and their experiences rather than premedical students.

Shoot me a PM and I can send you mine as an example. It has a number of laboratory experiences on it that might help you structure your own.

Why are you making a resume for med schools? Anything that you would normally put on a resume will be entered into AMCAS, where there is a lot more space to write details about each activity. I have yet to need my resume for anything medical school related. Just curious.

I did not need my resume for medical school applications. However, I think it is a good idea to have a working resume that you can add onto as time passes and you advance in your career. My resume was essential for getting jobs/volunteer positions in undergrad and informing my LOR writers about my experiences.

Since we're on this topic, I thought I would ask to what extent you can keep certain items on your resume once you enter medical school. I remember removing all my high school activities/awards/etc. once I started looking for internships in college. Does the same apply to college stuff when looking for shadowing/research opportunities in medical school?

Keep excellent experiences for as long as you can. Research experiences in college should definitely be used when looking for research jobs in med school.

I did not need my resume for medical school applications. However, I think it is a good idea to have a working resume that you can add onto as time passes and you advance in your career. My resume was essential for getting jobs/volunteer positions in undergrad and informing my LOR writers about my experiences.

This I completely agree with. The OP, however, asked about making a resume for medical school, so I was confused as to why he/she would need one when applying to med school.

Since we're on this topic, I thought I would ask to what extent you can keep certain items on your resume once you enter medical school. I remember removing all my high school activities/awards/etc. once I started looking for internships in college. Does the same apply to college stuff when looking for shadowing/research opportunities in medical school?

I'd say keep anything that's relevant even if it was several years ago. Obviously if you apply for research positions in med school, it will reflect positively on you if your resume demonstrates that you participated in research during college. If you delete all those items, they may assume you have no research experience and hire someone else.

Off-topic, does anyone know when you are supposed to transition from a resume to a curriculum vitae? I've been keeping my resume at one page for several years, but I imagine later on it's going to be impossible to do that and a curriculum vitae will become more appropriate. Does anyone use one currently?

I'd say keep anything that's relevant even if it was several years ago. Obviously if you apply for research positions in med school, it will reflect positively on you if your resume demonstrates that you participated in research during college. If you delete all those items, they may assume you have no research experience and hire someone else.

Off-topic, does anyone know when you are supposed to transition from a resume to a curriculum vitae? I've been keeping my resume at one page for several years, but I imagine later on it's going to be impossible to do that and a curriculum vitae will become more appropriate. Does anyone use one currently?

I've used a CV for years...mostly because I didn't know there was a difference between a resume and a CV until fairly recently :oops: My current HR department did ask for a resume and I simplified my CV down to one page for that. Otherwise, I think most professionals use their CVs (at least the MDs in my department do).

I've used a CV for years...mostly because I didn't know there was a difference between a resume and a CV until fairly recently :oops: My current HR department did ask for a resume and I simplified my CV down to one page for that. Otherwise, I think most professionals use their CVs (at least the MDs in my department do).

Yeah, I guess at this point I'll just keep adding things instead of deleting stuff. Thanks! :)

you were time 2006's person of the year.

Time.jpg

its been on all my resumés since 2006.
-durty

Is the formatting for a CV really that different from a resume? Anyone got sample templates? I'm so lazy :p

Is the formatting for a CV really that different from a resume? Anyone got sample templates? I'm so lazy :p

The formatting is usually the same, but a CV is just more extensive and definitely can't fit on one page like a resume. My PI has a CV that is 12 pages long and I'm sure other doctors have ones that are even longer than that.