Making as much money as possible in pharmacy in the least painful way

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidgayz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacy is almost synonymous with high salaries these days but 100 g's doesn't go as far as it used to. I was curious if anyone had by trial and error come up with a comfortable excessive schedule (ie 2 jobs, or consistent overtime) while starting out. Obviously I'm not talking about becoming a DOP or starting the next walgreens, just entry level type positions. For example people have described working 7 on 7 off and picking up a few 12 hour shifts on your week off to push 150 thousand while still maintaining some regular days off.

Members don't see this ad.

A few new grads I knew started out in retail doing their regular 40 hrs/week and then picked up an extra 8 hr day as a relief pharmacist at an agency. That's an extra $50/hr x 8 hr shift per week, which is ~$20k/yr.

That's assuming the chains don't offer much OT, which of course 1.5 x your hourly rate is already insane.

Money isn't THAT important to me and I'd rather enjoy my days off, but I'd definitely do a day of OT if I really needed it.

But that 7on/7off with a few shifts in between would be a good idea money wise. But that schedule is grueling and really messes with you. But when you're young, why not?

Pharmacy is almost synonymous with high salaries these days but 100 g's doesn't go as far as it used to. I was curious if anyone had by trial and error come up with a comfortable excessive schedule (ie 2 jobs, or consistent overtime) while starting out. Obviously I'm not talking about becoming a DOP or starting the next walgreens, just entry level type positions. For example people have described working 7 on 7 off and picking up a few 12 hour shifts on your week off to push 150 thousand while still maintaining some regular days off.

I knew a guy who was in debts by ears, so right after graduation he was making 180K for a few years. Keep in mind that was couple of year ago - salaries were lower. Not sure how many hours he was working. Not sure if he's still alive as well:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I work with a guy who works 7-on, 7-off overnights, then on Fri-Mon on his weeks off he works 7am-9pm.
he's crazy....

I worked 7 on 7 off overnights and the LAST thing I wanted to do was work on my week off. It always took a couple days to adjust for me.

I work with a guy who works 7-on, 7-off overnights, then on Fri-Mon on his weeks off he works 7am-9pm.
he's crazy....

I worked 7 on 7 off overnights and the LAST thing I wanted to do was work on my week off. It always took a couple days to adjust for me.

any idea how much the crazy dude is making...

A very easy gig is working for a chain that is undergoing a remodel - it occurs every 5-8 years or so. And they work on one or two sites @ a time then move to another until they're all done.

They normally remodel the pharmacy during the night, after hours, if they don't relocate it completely. But....there has to be a pharmacist there for the workmen to be there to work - basically babysit & make sure they don't take the Vicodin.

So....you do absolutely no "work"....you can read, watch tv, knit, play video games, talk on the phone to Europe/China or whoever else is awake at that hour. You just can't fall asleep!

You get paid your straight time & often some OT since the workmen want to work from the time the pharmacy closes until it opens.

I've known lots of pharmacists who've done this - they'll work a full week (Sun-Thurs) then start in on Fri night after closing & do this nighttime babysitting until they go back to work the following Tues or so. I'd pull my teeth out with boredom, but everybody has their own thing.....and....you lose your night. Some things are best done when you're young. The money isn't worth it to me.

In hospitals...same thing happens when you have your inventory done. In the old days, the staff would do it...now for both hospitals & retail, its done by an independent company. So...a pharmacist has to be there. It only takes about 2 hrs for a retail operation, but can take all night for a hospital - but that's just once if not twice a year.

The easiest actual "work" in doing two full time jobs is when one of the jobs is a consultant for a snf. Then you can set your hours & go into overdrive & get it done. You negotiate the consultant fee, so its not necessarily OT, but it won't burn you out either.

100 g's doesn't go as far as it used to be? Tell that to the 95% + American's who don't make 6 figures a year.

My opinion: Put my 40-45 hours in a week, make 100k, and invest wisely. Be a millionaire by age 35 with the right investing. Live comfortably AND enjoyably.

any idea how much the crazy dude is making...

Well, assuming he's making $100k/yr for simplicity sake, that's ~$48/hr for his regular 7 day rotation. ($48/hr x 2080 = ~$100k/yr)

So at $48/hr at 32 hrs for his Fri-Mon 8 hr shifts...which is 4/5 of a regular work week...~$80k

[2080 x (4/5)] x $48 = ~$80k....

Give or take $180k/yr is what he's raking in. However, if he's working in CA or other higher paying states ($50+/hr), it could go as high as $190k/yr.

Yes, I'm that bored.

100 g's doesn't go as far as it used to be? Tell that to the 95% + American's who don't make 6 figures a year.

My opinion: Put my 40-45 hours in a week, make 100k, and invest wisely. Be a millionaire by age 35 with the right investing. Live comfortably AND enjoyably.

What kind of investing are you thinking of, millionaire by 35 is pretty quick. Could definitely happen though. You thinking of investing in real estate, mutual funds, stocks?

Well, assuming he's making $100k/yr for simplicity sake, that's ~$48/hr for his regular 7 day rotation. ($48/hr x 2080 = ~$100k/yr)

So at $48/hr at 32 hrs for his Fri-Mon 8 hr shifts...which is 4/5 of a regular work week...~$80k

[2080 x (4/5)] x $48 = ~$80k....

Give or take $180k/yr is what he's raking in. However, if he's working in CA or other higher paying states ($50+/hr), it could go as high as $190k/yr.

Yes, I'm that bored.

he's got experience, plus the third shift differential, so I would guess $58+ for his overnight week.

the friday through monday 32 hours he works are all OT hours :)

I'm basically trying to determine if I should quit a job I somewhat like simply because they dont offer any kind of unique scheduling ie. (7 on 7 off, three 12 hour shifts, etc.) that would allow me to take a second part time job more conviniently. In my opinion, having not done it before, I would think it would be a better lifestyle to work four 12 hour shifts or something similar as apposed to six 8 hour shifts. Anybody have experience with this?

I'm basically trying to determine if I should quit a job I somewhat like simply because they dont offer any kind of unique scheduling ie. (7 on 7 off, three 12 hour shifts, etc.) that would allow me to take a second part time job more conviniently. In my opinion, having not done it before, I would think it would be a better lifestyle to work four 12 hour shifts or something similar as apposed to six 8 hour shifts. Anybody have experience with this?

Are you a pharmacist?

What state do you practice in & what practice setting do you work in?

Does your employer &/or state generally offer OT - lots of states don't.

If you're willing to work graveyard .... you can pretty much set the schedule you want - at least in CA.

Are you a pharmacist?

What state do you practice in & what practice setting do you work in?

Does your employer &/or state generally offer OT - lots of states don't.

If you're willing to work graveyard .... you can pretty much set the schedule you want - at least in CA.

Im in south Florida and with my current nuclear employer overtime is essentially unheard of. Im just tossing around the idea of walgreens.

Pharmacy is almost synonymous with high salaries these days but 100 g's doesn't go as far as it used to.

Wow. Typical pharmacist with dollar signs in their eyes...... 100k is plenty for a salary, in fact, it's a blessing to be able to make that much.

Is there something wrong with wanting to make more money so I can do and see more things outside of my career that put a smile on my face? I want to be a pharmacist AND I want to be as financially secure as possible. Work hard, live well and earn what you have but NEVER apologize or feel guilty for wanting it or having it.

South Florida (if he means naples, Miami-West Palm Beach) has a high cost of living. Average home price is around 400K.

So I think that is what he means.