Making Friends with the Dean of Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bretzel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing research at one of my top choice schools this summer, and I would like to make the most of this opportunity. Would it be risky of me to email the dean of admissions asking if he knew of any colleagues he has that are open to shadowing? Best case scenario would be if he let me shadow him this summer.....Is there some risk in this? I don't want to sound like I'm interested in him only for the obvious benefits....I really would like to get some hospital experience while I'm here though, and as dean of admissions i'm sure he'd be of the most help for getting started with that.....Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Do it G. I don't see anything wrong with it.

If he likes you, it could be a great thing. But what you described sounds a little silly... emailing the dean of admissions to ask if you can shadow someone he knows would look really sketchy. There are so many other ways to shadow someone. Try meeting him in the most direct way possible... email him about any questions and ask if you can set up a meeting or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with bozz on this one.

Your connection-making skills may need a bit of fine tuning. Doing something like that is usually not the way to go.

I've looked online and cannot find a thing about shadowing opportunities here....should I broaden it and ask him if there are shadowing opportunities available (not necessarily with a colleague)?

I've looked online and cannot find a thing about shadowing opportunities here....should I broaden it and ask him if there are shadowing opportunities available (not necessarily with a colleague)?

Most people look up doctors in directories (like the phonebook) and either visit, email, or call their offices and ask about shadowing.

Go ahead and ask if he can suggest some doctors...but dont cross that fine line of being friendly and kissing ass.

Call teaching hospitals. The doctors are used to having people follow them around and explaining what they're doing constantly. That sounds sarcastic, but I'm totally serious.

I would email and ask if he would be willing to meet with you to give you suggestions on your application. ie what you can do in the next few months to better your application in the eyes of his committee. I would also make it clear it is one of your top choices and that you are currently doing research there. This time of year is the best time to do this. Then you can bring up shadowing a colleague as well as get some advice from the man. There is no reason to try and use a back door to get to know him. Be assertive and up front and stroke his ego by asking for advice.

Call teaching hospitals. The doctors are used to having people follow them around and explaining what they're doing constantly. That sounds sarcastic, but I'm totally serious.

I agree.. but don't be a tool about it.

if you're interested in shadowing, why don't you just ask your PI if he knows any physicians? if the guy is doing research in a med school associated lab surely he knows someone.

i wouldn't try this with the dean. it's just weird. it'll come off like you're trying to get an early "in".

I kinda agree with Jolie. Imagine yourself as the dean:

"Why, of the hundreds of doctors in this hospital, would this kid e-mail me?"

It is fairly obvious.

I know exactly what you mean. I do (in the draft of the email) state that I am aware of his position and I explain why I asked him....but as of now, I'm leaning against sending it

Thanks for the input, everybody.

I would do this for getting a shadowing opp. When I shadowed doctors at a large teaching hospital, they were more than willing to observe/explain everything they were doing, even let me help with minor things and be exposed to as many things as possible.