Making money while in school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhp98

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting msucom in July, but I was wondering if and what some of you who are already in school do to make extra money...that's if you don't just rely on your loans. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Sell rock. A quicker $1k :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
sperm/plasma donation - you can make some pretty good bank with this (if selected and near a "donation" center). Sperm can get you like several hundred/month and plasma (easier to be selected for and more centers) can get you like 40 a week, depending on the area and center.

I don't do either of these, but I've sure looked into them - if only I was nearer a donation center.. could be a bunch of me running around the world!!!

Oh, wait.. that's scary as hell! :scared:

I'm donating my eggs (obviously only good for females), which is more time intrusive than sperm donation, but that's clearly not an option. I may elect to teach Judaic school (excellent money), but I also heard of people who go the local universities and tutor or teach prep courses a few hours a week.

for the females, theres always working the corner. I have sold my blood. pretty good money in it.

Invest in some good mutual funds/stocks/CDs. Tutor at your local college or online (check out www.brainmass.com). Also, don't forget teaching for a commercial MCAT prep. company ;)

I worked on campus as a secretary, i also worked for the omm dept as an assistant and I worked the summer between ms1 and ms2 as a telemarketer. I also tutored biochemistry, and histology. I have a friend who decellerated so she could work part time at the public health center doing research and getting paid. There were EMT's in my class that took some shifts on weekends and holidays. I thought about getting the cna training and working nights, but i really couldn't do that with a new baby. If I had been child free I probably would have done that - they can make $15 an hour which would certainly have helped keep me from totally maxing out my federal loan money! Workstudy only paid $10 an hour.
I forgot, there is a massage school near my campus and the medical students can teach anatomy there for some extra money also.

Sugar72 said:
I worked on campus as a secretary, i also worked for the omm dept as an assistant and I worked the summer between ms1 and ms2 as a telemarketer. I also tutored biochemistry, and histology. I have a friend who decellerated so she could work part time at the public health center doing research and getting paid. There were EMT's in my class that took some shifts on weekends and holidays. I thought about getting the cna training and working nights, but i really couldn't do that with a new baby. If I had been child free I probably would have done that - they can make $15 an hour which would certainly have helped keep me from totally maxing out my federal loan money! Workstudy only paid $10 an hour.
I forgot, there is a massage school near my campus and the medical students can teach anatomy there for some extra money also.

So that was YOU!!! :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
DeLaughterDO said:
So that was YOU!!! :laugh:

That was where I learned the secret of just hanging up on telemarketers...believe me, I used to hope that people would just hang up on me so I wouldn't have to keep trying to convince these poor people to buy a freaking newspaper subscription. So people - just hang up on your telemarketing phone calls.

Hello I'm a first year DO student and I need OMM/OMT Tutor for written Qs and clarifications that I can go over the concepts.

Thanks for your response and my email is: [email protected]

Make innocuous videos on YouTube then have the mainstream media call you a Nazi for greater viewer count.

Many research projects will pay you to be the control or test subjects
I know a few people who work as tutors during med school

I've donated a reasonable amount of plasma while studying.