making non-med school plans for next yr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Egrets

Bachelorette of Science
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
are people making alternate plans for next year, in the event that you don't get into a med school (or the one of your choice)? as this waiting game progresses, it has me more and more worried about the prospect of being up a creek without a paddle come next august. i applied to a some health-care related consulting-type jobs during recruiting season this fall but none of those panned out. i have no desire whatsoever to work in a lab for a year while re-applying, but other than those types of jobs i think it would be hard to find something decent (ie not working at the Gap) on short notice. i was just wondering how any of you are handling this feeling...

Members don't see this ad.

The market is looking pretty rough out there... might be living with my momma (there is absolutely wrong with this, esp. when you've got goals).

Thinking about working in a lab (last resort), doing genetics research, or looking for something along the lines of Pharmaceutical reps (perks plus a car). Otherwise, looking into some health education opportunities (of course, b/c I'm looking to save some loot and all of the dough is in health ed.) :D

If making money is not a key consideration, there are plenty of master's degrees and non-degree post-bacc programs that involve mostly class work rather than working in the lab (although there will be some of that). There's generally enough time to apply at this point.

If you want a job, there is no particular time of year that's that bad. Just don't tell them you plan to go to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've considered the possibility of doing a master's program (like an MPH or MPP) if I don't get in to med school, but the thing is I can't be applying for thos things simultaneously with med school. Mainly because they require recommendations specifically for the master's program, and it would be sorta weird to be like "hey professor, i know you wrote me a rec for med school, but write me one for an MPH also."

is anyone out there applying to separate master's programs as you apply to med schools?

I'm applying to 3 MPH programs while applying to med schools this year (Columbia, JH, and GWU). Since I've been waitlisted at 2 med schools, I'm getting more and more relieved that I decided to do these MPH applications as back-ups.

I understand you might feel weird asking for more recs, I was in the same position a few months ago. But my prof's were happy to do it for me when I explained I needed a back-up. I've had a good relationship with them and thus they want to see me succeed. I only applied to 3 schools though, so I didn't have to be like, "yeah, so can you write me 7 more rec's for these 7 schools..."

If you're really anxious about not getting into a med program, having a back-up like this really takes the edge off and gives you something to look forward to next year if things don't work out. If I had to spend another year doing gene therapy research, jeeze, I'd have to shoot myself in the face.

PM me if you have any more questions.

I'm applying to a Bachelor's of Nursing program. I'm non-trad, out of school 6 years, and I figure I can get more good grades, in science/health courses, and patient exposure, in nursing school, and re-apply every year until I get in. Plus the program is in my home town, so I can stay where I am while I'm waiting to go to med school.

Jess

I don't know if this is frustration talking, but I will be applying to Pharmacy schools and post-bac programs in Clinical Science, Genetic Couseling or Microbiology.

I guess it just depends on how well everything goes in the next year - or doesn't as has been my theme for a while now. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by No Egrets
Mainly because they require recommendations specifically for the master's program, and it would be sorta weird to be like "hey professor, i know you wrote me a rec for med school, but write me one for an MPH also."

is anyone out there applying to separate master's programs as you apply to med schools?

Why is that weird? That's what I did. I told my LOR people that I might be askign them for a letter of rec for grad school as well just incase thigns don't work out.

All said it was no big deal, and one said it's not that difficult just replace med school with graduate school, and fanaggle a little bit and WALLAH!