making residencies longer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc2belee

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: the president of the ACOFP spoke at my school today. He said that the AMA and the AOA is going to extend all residencies 1 year, in response to having to limit resident work hours to 80 a week. Has anyone else heard of this? It was news to me
(apparently, a class-action lawsuit was won, which caused the limiting of work hours to 80.)

Members don't see this ad.

It is not an AMA decision.

Residencies are under the AOA and ACGME.

Each specialty would have to decide if another year is necessary and funding would need to be appropriated (Medicare is the major contributor)...so I would say bull****.

I've heard this threat a few times... almost always after a tirade on malpractice rates. Is it just me, or does anyone else see a possible correlation between ridiculous work hours and malpractice suits? Perhaps this is the wrong forum to post this under, but I've gotta vent!!! How can one possibly make the best decisions for patients when working 40 hours straight??? Even truck drivers have a 10 hour driving limit for the sake of public safety. We actually had one doctor quite angrily tell us that we wouldn't like it when we were the attendings and had to make up for the decreased work week of residents! That confirms to me that it isn't about the "training" at all. Perhaps I can actually learn more if I ONLY work 80 hours a week versus 120. I have fellow students that are angry because they will not be allowed to moonlight with the new regs. I understand that we will all be in huge debt when we get out of school, but if you are willing to sacrifice patient best interests for money than perhaps you have chosen the wrong profession! I realize that I am still just a naive and lowly 2nd year student, and will appreciate any insight into this problem from those of greater wisdom and experience. :) Thanks