Making the right choice of material of studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Step9321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new in this forum. I'm a European medical student starting to prepare for the STEP1. I'm in the middle of my medical school. I've already studied, in my coursework, all the subjects treated in STEP1 except pharmacology, but i will study it the next year. My goal is to do the exam on 2017.
I've already bought the first aid, but I have some troubles in choosing the right material of studying.
I read on first aid that there are many different types of review books, each one specific for a subject.
A friend of mine has advised me to buy the Kaplan lecture notes. So i was wondering if it's proper to buy both kaplan lecture notes and one review book specific for each subject. It could be useful buying both of them? If it isn't, what is your advice?
I know that these could probably be stupid questions for you, but I've searched on the web for weeks and I can't still make a choice.
So, hoping you'll be fine, I'll wait for your answers and advice ;).

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would recommend only getting a separate review book specific for a course only if you feel like your basic understanding of the course is lacking. If you feel pretty good about your subjects then I would use Kaplan since you have so much time. Kaplan for all subjects, Pathoma for pathology and First Aid as a factoid book to review from once all your concepts are solid. I would also do lots of questions, namely UWorld and either Kaplan Q bank or USMLE Rx. If you have the time and money, you can even do all 3.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user