Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2006
Status
Post Doc
I'm trying to balance work, studying for MCATs, 2 volunteering placements, and going to the gym and I feel more stressed than I do during the school year :(. Notice how "personal outings" aren't even on the list anymore :( :(.

Since most pre-meds are workaholics, I'm just wondering how you all find the time to do everthing each day.

MinnyGophers

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Status
Post Doc
Time management is the key. I personally make a schedule that I TRY (keyword is TRY) to follow, and I make time for "personal time" in which I relax/go out/whatever.

I personally feel that there is always time for everything, what you need to do is allocate it well, and not waste any.

I personally sleep about 7 hours/night. A thing I do is to always have something exciting to do upon waking up, as it would make it a lot easier to do so. Something you could do is to go to the gym after you wake up in the morning, as you would probably be more excited about that and exercising pumps you up for the day.

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I sleep about 7 hours a night. I work full time, am doing a full time Masters program, and have a daughter with twins on the way. Yeh, life is busy. But you would be suprised how you get used to the schedual and somehow make everything fit. I still manage to find personal time (dunno how, just do) and time for family. Granted, med school will be even more demanding for me i'm sure, but it will al work out somehow! Just keep swimming ....

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Medical Student
8 if i'm lucky. usually 6 or 7 and my schedule keeps me up the entire day. i usually hit a slump at 6-7pm but somehow i stay awake. shrugs.

i think the best way to keep yourself motivated (at least for me) is to keep an eye on the prize. take some time to sit back and think about the big picture and all the things you've got to do and set it all on the table so there aren't any surprises. then take it day by day after that.

joanofarc0907

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
:sleep: Usually I sleep around 7 hours...some days its more some less. on days I don't have to work I usually sleep about 9-12 hours. other days I only get 5 good hours.

khadija

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i sleep at least 8hrs. that's because i'm useless if i don't get enough rest. (this might be a problem in med school). but so far i manage by making a tight schedule for myself and following it. weekdays r usually very busy but i do have time for fun stuff on weekends.

NiteOwl

Geek
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
I usually sleep about 8 hours. Unless I have a test the next day, if that is the case, I will go without sleep sometimes for about 36 hours so that I can study, I try not to do that though.

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I sleep where I want, when I want. Responsibility's not the boss of me!

Captain Fantastic

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
Mizzou Med
Status
FutureDrCynthia said:
I usually sleep about 8 hours. Unless I have a test the next day, if that is the case, I will go without sleep sometimes for about 36 hours so that I can study, I try not to do that though.
I cannot do this. When I'm missing that much sleep my short-term memory is crap so cramming does me no good. Plus, when the exam happens I'm so tired I have difficulty concentrating. I'm pretty religious about getting a good nights sleep the night before the exam.

newbie1kenobi

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Sleeping time varies depending on the schedule. There were times when I was getting <5 hours sleep due to school and work committments, but this is not because I sleep late, but I just wake up early (around 2 or 3 am) to start my day.

NiteOwl

Geek
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
ed2brute said:
I cannot do this. When I'm missing that much sleep my short-term memory is crap so cramming does me no good. Plus, when the exam happens I'm so tired I have difficulty concentrating. I'm pretty religious about getting a good nights sleep the night before the exam.
Nah, thats what the Vivarin and Red Bull are for! It doesn't really bother my memory so much, but I do feel pretty crappy after going without sleep for that long...the red bull vivarin combo will keep you alert enough but won't keep that sick feeling away.

Aurora013

10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm the kind of person that if I have a million things to get done, they'll all be finished on time, because I know it has to be finished now or it won't get done. However, when I don't have much to take care of, it never gets done early. So...during the semester 7-8 hours a night, but during breaks ~10 hours when I don't have work the next morning, ~6 or 7 when I do, and concievably none at all when I'm actually at work!

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
9 hrs. Gotta have it or I don't function. You can find time for anything if it is a necessity.

Slide

Finally, no more "training"
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
The solution is quite simple: wonder drugs like Provigil can keep you going and going! If you need even a stronger kick, try pure 100% uncut cocaine!