Making up for Bio AP credits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kfcchikin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah it varies but you'll be alright.

I'm missing a semester of bio lab but intend on using my research experience in physiology to supplement this instead for the few schools that would lock me out for missing 1 out of 2 biology lab credit, and if worse comes to worse I'll pick up the credit at a CC by some chance I end up wanting to go to one of those schools and they reject the research credit. Some schools are competency based too which will make your life a lot easier. I know people who got into USC and UMichigan while missing multiple labs (don't recommend this though)

As long as you have all the other standard requirements and have maybe one borderline "deficit", I think you should be fine and it'll all work out.

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm a sophomore and one of the prereq courses I've used AP creds on is bio. I know for calc and stat it's fine but my premed advisors didn't make it clear before that this isn't a great idea for sciences and are now telling me I should have retaken intro and that I'm essentially screwed which doesn't really make sense to me.

The thing is, my school accepts APs, it would've been completely redundant to retake intro, and I'm not even a science major. I'm taking two upper level bios to make up for it (one now that I'll have an A in, one next semester) but they insist I need bio with lab.

I looked through a ton of med schools' requirements and almost all either accept the AP or accept it as long as you take upper level courses -- is this right?

Is it really necessary that I take, like, microbio and genetics with labs? My schedule is maxed out as is and I'm not majoring in bio. I'm trying to get wet lab work done as I'm pretty sure the few schools that require lab components regardless of APs will accept bio research lab settings as well. I'm really confused
Just take college Bio 1&2 with lab and every med school will be satisfied. There is a big difference between what's covered in AP Bio and rigorous college Bio classes, and having a solid grounding in the basic courses is a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how good your high school's and undergrad's science department are and if the med school accepts AP credit like mentioned above. My high school AP class was turned out to be harder and more in depth than the intro class at my university.

It doesn’t matter if you have taken advanced biology courses with lab. It only matters if you only take the 2 intro bio class and one of them is AP credit.