Male or female admission to Clinical Psych Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Psych

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just curious as to whether or not males have an advantage in getting into clinical psych PhD/PsyD programs because the field is predominantly female. Will being a male also help my chances of getting into schools? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Kevin Psych said:
Hi all,

Just curious as to whether or not males have an advantage in getting into clinical psych PhD/PsyD programs because the field is predominantly female. Will being a male also help my chances of getting into schools? Thanks!

As a male in a clinical phd program i can tell you yes! I honestly dont think i would have gotten into my program if i was a woman, thank god for my penis!

cmuhooligan said:
As a male in a clinical phd program i can tell you yes! I honestly dont think i would have gotten into my program if i was a woman, thank god for my penis!

Right on! Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to obtain my # 1 pick for internship. During my year, there were 141 applicants and 5 slots available. Toward the end of the internship year, when new applicants came to interview, the training director told me, “we have to get more males into the program.” At that moment, I wondered if I could have gone to an even better internship program considering my role as a token male.

and if you are a male AND minority, double bonus! :p