male to female ratio ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timthomascu05

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do you guys or girls i should say think that there are more female pharmacists than male pharmacists

Members don't see this ad.

timthomascu05 said:
Why do you guys or girls i should say think that there are more female pharmacists than male pharmacists

I think because the female want the money more becuase of kids and such. Pharmacist maek alot of money you know?

i thought i was seeing something when i clicked on this thread.....

there is another thread still on this page that deals with males v female acceptance that may answer your questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most research on development and learning suggest that women are more inclined toward verbal/communication skills, which are absolutely essential to pharmacy practice. (Perhaps even more so than the "hard core" technical knowledge). You can teach someone facts and figures, but there is only so much you can teach a person about communicating - those skills are more inate.

Also, I feel that that fact that there is still such an overwhelming need for pharmacists that there are far fewer barriers to entry into the profession for women than exist in other fields (particularly other science-related fields).

CSzGirl said:
Most research on development and learning suggest that women are more inclined toward verbal/communication skills, which are absolutely essential to pharmacy practice. (Perhaps even more so than the "hard core" technical knowledge). You can teach someone facts and figures, but there is only so much you can teach a person about communicating - those skills are more inate.

Also, I feel that that fact that there is still such an overwhelming need for pharmacists that there are far fewer barriers to entry into the profession for women than exist in other fields (particularly other science-related fields).

I would have to disagree with you on the barriers part i am pre dental and the ratio of girls to guys is 50/50 or pretty close the same goes for medicine.....law i think is still male dominate

Z e r o X said:
I think because the female want the money more becuase of kids and such. Pharmacist maek alot of money you know?

Why am I surprised to find more money talk here? :rolleyes: Here are some things for you to think about. First of all, more women apply to pharmacy school than men. Secondly, because it does pay well and hours are usually flexible, women are able to not work as much in order to make more time for family and not suffer a significant loss of pay. This factor played a large role in choosing pharmacy for several women I know either in the profession already or going into the profession.

FutureRxGal said:
and hours are usually flexible

ditto!

but the m/f ratio is beginning to even out - which is good and bad for us gals!

ilovepharmacy said:
but the m/f ratio is beginning to even out
I don't think so. Is it really balancing out now? I believe we are still at around 40:60 (m:f). And every year, more females apply than males.

rxgal8 said:
I don't think so. Is it really balancing out now? I believe we are still at around 40:60 (m:f). And every year, more females apply than males.

The industry is starting to balance out there are currently more male pharmacists than females

rxgal8 said:

Also, I'm not sure which is correct but I've been hearing that either more boys are applying or more boys are getting in (than years in the past).. I suppose we'd have to check stats on that.