malic acid passage - organic passage - CK/DK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pateltr1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what was the answer to first question in this passage?

which one of following does NOT belong(something)?

a. tertiary carbon is faster than something something crap....
b. don't remember, but wasn't the answer
c. intermediate is carbo cation.
d. don't remember, but wasn't the answer

Members don't see this ad.

pateltr1 said:
what was the answer to first question in this passage?

which one of following does NOT belong(something)?

a. tertiary carbon is faster than something something crap....
b. don't remember, but wasn't the answer
c. intermediate is carbo cation.
d. don't remember, but wasn't the answer

I think it was an E2. Did i put A? I think I did.

Nuel said:
I think it was an E2. Did i put A? I think I did.

If it was E2, then it would not form carbocation right? Also, tertinary would be slower compared to secondary/primary(steric)?

I don't know if it was actually E2 though.

P.S. I do not know much organic/bio(Computer Science major), so sorry if above statement is incorrect.

pateltr1 said:
If it was E2, then it would not form carbocation right? Also, tertinary would be slower compared to secondary/primary(steric)?

I don't know if it was actually E2 though.

P.S. I do not know much organic/bio(Computer Science major), so sorry if above statement is incorrect.

yes an E2 reaction is a concerted reaction with no carbocation intermediate. It only runs for primary and secondary carbo-compounds

Members don't see this ad :)
tertiary and carbocation doesnt seem to work, since both describe E1.

how were we supposed to tell that it was an E2 reaction? i think i eliminated both tertiary and carbocation because they both describe E1, but i don't remember all too well... :(

byam52 said:
how were we supposed to tell that it was an E2 reaction? i think i eliminated both tertiary and carbocation because they both describe E1, but i don't remember all too well... :(

May be answer was neither of those. Anyone put something else?

My brain was had a fetal error after the mcat, and memory was wiped, so I can't remember anything else.

I remember this question, I chose C. The reaction was E1. I remembered it was not stated anywhere in the passage what type of reaction it was, but since the products were two stereo-isomers ( cis and trans ) it had to be E1 and that involves a carbo cation. I can't remember what the question was but one of the other answer choices was

d) it is stereo ( regional ) specific.

Any thoughts?

rugbyboy said:
I remember this question, I chose C. The reaction was E1. I remembered it was not stated anywhere in the passage what type of reaction it was, but since the products were two stereo-isomers ( cis and trans ) it had to be E1 and that involves a carbo cation. I can't remember what the question was but one of the other answer choices was

d) it is stereo ( regional ) specific.

Any thoughts?

if it was E1, then answer would be D. It is not stereospecific after you form carbocation right? you get mixture of both.

yup it must be stereoselective if its product trends are Cis AND Trans. it may or may not have been stereospecific, depending if there were any bulky substituents...i forget though