Malicious premed/med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys think a lot of med students will be these kind of people? Maybe they mellow out with age or are beaten into being half decent human beings by other med students.

I like to think that the majority of these type of people will fail their interviews horribly and never get into med school. That, or they piss off the wrong person and never manage to graduate from their undergrad :smuggrin:. Of course, I tend to be one of those annoying glass is half full kind of people.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to mention I hate the fact that this gunner pre-med who literally talks more than the TA is overweight and wears a gold necklace with polos that are unbutton bearing his chest hair and sweat.

*shudder* :barf:

Thats horrible. :laugh:

Heres the thing though, I don't that it would be that diffcult for some of the douchebags I went to class with to feign being a half decent human being for about 45 minutes. Especially since they thinking of it as "preforming"

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats horrible. :laugh:

Heres the thing though, I don't that it would be that diffcult for some of the douchebags I went to class with to feign being a half decent human being for about 45 minutes. Especially since they thinking of it as "preforming"

the way I see it... a lot of the unsavory characters you run into don't even realize that they have a problem. They're doing it right and if you have a problem with it, you need to adjust. Why would they change and "perform" for an interview?

I don't know how it is at other schools, but my class really is pretty good. There really aren't any malicious gunner types, sure we're all working hard, but we're not trying to out-perform anyone else.

There is a bit of a dynamic shift in med school though... when you have such and excess of brainpower and so many type A individuals in one place it, there are a lot more people blurting out answers before you've had a chance to think about the question and if there's a team exercise, expect everyone to try to take charge. This can lead to a few toes being stepped on, but it's usually unintentional.

Story Numbero Tres: Organic chemistry lab. So much fun. Two lab sections meet in one lecture room for a quiz and for an overview of the experiment. The other TA is one of those undercover dinguses that acts all cool but is really EVIL, and my TA just really doesn't want to be there at all, so he's always rushing us. We have about 4 jerks in my class, and unfortunately in my lab section, who are the biggest gunners ever. We had our first practical last week, and they took all the chemicals to their little lab group and hogged them for thirty minutes. When I went up them and asked if they could let the rest of the class have some, they got all offended and were like "Do you think we're sabotaging the chemicals?".... I never said anything about them sabotaging the chemicals. So anyways, once our two week lab practical was over with everybodies product was YELLOW while theirs was a nice clear, pure product. Needless to say, they did sabotage the chemicals and they did get forties on their practicals. Oh how I love karma.

"intro to chem" lab paractical exam, we were given an unknown element and had to do all the test we knew of to find out which one it was. This group of two girls and one guy took the whole try first and they did somethig to it that they were the only ones who got the right answer. Later he told me that they changed the pipets! I was so mad.
I got the right answer, but I did density so teacher took 5 points off for not doing any other test. So I ended up with a 95 but that group got a 100.

"intro to chem" lab paractical exam, we were given an unknown element and had to do all the test we knew of to find out which one it was. This group of two girls and one guy took the whole try first and they did somethig to it that they were the only ones who got the right answer. Later he told me that they changed the pipets! I was so mad.
I got the right answer, but I did density so teacher took 5 points off for not doing any other test. So I ended up with a 95 but that group got a 100.
You will pretty much complain about anything other than a 100 won't you?

I HAD to get on SDN just for this very post hahaha. I am at the library cramming for my Ochem final and it is FULL. And there is some extremely weird gunner pre-med (i'm assuming he is pre-med; I do not know him) that is cussing uncontrollably and I don't think its Tourette's (it could be, who knows).

Every, oh I don't know, 20 seconds he looks up from his book and breathes hard followed by a F@&$ $@&t, etc.

And the funniest part is that he's not keeping it to himself. He is cussing so loud that people over 10 feet away can slightly hear it. Me and a few other people around me keep looking at each other and trying hard not to laugh.

I wanted to maybe inquire why he feels so "F#^@&#& $&@&$&@&" but I thought about it and the last thing I want here is Columbine part 2. :rolleyeyes: get it...GUNner pre-med haha jk that was lame

Are you serious? That is rediculous. Who the hell cares is someone does as well as you. This is an independent effort. Its a laboratory course for pete's sake. If I saw someone do that, I'd smack them, punch them, and give them a swift kick when on the ground. What's wrong with people?
I know! It was madding! I mean come on we are freshman in our first quarter!!!! I think I know who it was too...and they are getting ratted out if they do it again...Luckly i tend to be way too into details sometimes so i notice the pipet settings and then only take what the lab says i need ^^ Gotta be smarter then the pipet...lol. what was really really funny was that in this lab it didnt really matter how much HCl you added...the more the better actually it just helped the reaction along faster if anything ^^

OMG that's hilarious! :laugh:

The only story I have is fairly lame compared to some of these.

There are 3 guys who say they are pre-med that have been in my chem 100 and chem 101 classes. They are in gen chem 1 with a friend of mine this quarter (I have the same class only later in the day with the same teacher) I always sit in the front of the class and have no issues asking questions in the middle of lecture if I don't understand something and am usually one of the first people to spout off the answer if we are asked to do a calculation or something (Community college not a large university class.)

They are constantly making fun of the teachers and smarter students behind their backs. One day the 3 guys were talking just a little bit too loudly, and I over heard one of them saying "OMG what the ****? She thinks she's so smart, I think I'm going to **** with her. I know I can make her fail the class." Throughout the rest of the quarter he would do things like drop his coffee on my notes, try to trip me in the lab while carrying chemicals back to my hood, toss things at my head in the middle of a test, etc. (I still passed with an A)

The truly beautiful part is that I know all 3 of them barely passed 100 and 101 (passed with Cs) and I heard from my friend who is in gen chem with them that they all got 60 or below on their last test (she sits behind them) It's good to know I probably won't be seeing any of them in med school!
I would have shot the lot of them what ass wholes!

I know! It was madding! I mean come on we are freshman in our first quarter!!!! I think I know who it was too...and they are getting ratted out if they do it again...Luckly i tend to be way too into details sometimes so i notice the pipet settings and then only take what the lab says i need ^^ Gotta be smarter then the pipet...lol. what was really really funny was that in this lab it didnt really matter how much HCl you added...the more the better actually it just helped the reaction along faster if anything ^^
Yeah, in general and organic lab it usually doesn't matter. As long as you don't take too little you are fine. Gotta love increasing the limiting reagent.:thumbup: Now, you wouldn't want so much that the reaction goes past what it should.

I don't like people when they act like they know everything about medicine when they don't. There are many pre-meds who wanted to be a doctor because they watch grey's, but they are so naive about how much work and effort they have to put in order to become a doctor.

I also don't like it when people take this career lightly. It's not some kid's game that you try it and change immediately (like "o, I will try to be a doctor, if not may be lawyer, mm may be mba, i don't know what i am doing). Seriously, if you are not sure about becoming a doctor, don't even try. I really wanted to tell it to my friend, because she wants to be a doctor to become rich, have romantic life (like in grey's) and respect and blah, yet she's a junior in college struggling to pass gen. chem.

I personally don't like addressing myself as pre-med ( I am just a student). Anyone can be pre-med, but only few can become a med school student in the future. I truly wish to be one and I will work hard for it.

I am sorry, i just had to let it out.

Whoah whoah, thats a whopping statement right there. Many freshmen,sophomores and even juniors have no idea what they want to do after college, and a lot of these people undoubtedly choose the medical field and go on to become wonderful doctors.

I don't like your logic one bit.

Yeah, in general and organic lab it usually doesn't matter. As long as you don't take too little you are fine. Gotta love increasing the limiting reagent.:thumbup: Now, you wouldn't want so much that the reaction goes past what it should.
it was just the reaction between a copper unknown, magenisium scraps and HCl, so we were just trying to get as much of the copper to form from the magnisium.

Whoah whoah, thats a whopping statement right there. Many freshmen,sophomores and even juniors have no idea what they want to do after college, and a lot of these people undoubtedly choose the medical field and go on to become wonderful doctors.

To whatever extent I'm allowed to based on my own premedder status, I never agreed with that, either.

But I'm indecisive like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stuff I hate about pre-meds:

"Will this be on the test?"/"Do we have to know this?"

"Will we ever have to know common names of compounds?"

(Asked in orgo class by pre-med... prof just gave her a blank stare for a second, not knowing quite how to tackle the question... no doubt he was thinking, "well, I surely hope you know certain common names like 'acetylene'"... but what he actually answered was that "yes, in life you'll probably have to know common names, but in class/on tests, I will use IUPAC names... so technically, no, you won't ever have to know common names.. in this class.")

No wonder profs hate pre-meds! It's like, can you folks at least try to hide the fact that you don't give a damn about the class beyond making an A ? At least TRY to feign an interest in actually learning something from the class?

The funny thing was, he ended up using common names on more than one test... and I think it was probably unintentional, as certain compounds are rarely referred to by their IUPAC names. I wondered how that pre-med girl fared on those questions... :laugh:

Stuff like the above is why, for the longest time, I did NOT want to associate with pre-meds or consider myself one.

I mean, of course I care about my grade. But that's tempered at least somewhat by a genuine interest in whatever subject I'm learning about. I'm so glad my undergrad school did not have formal pre-professional tracks, and basically required all students to take an extensive core curriculum.

Another thing that kind of irks me is a sense of "entitlement" some pre-meds seem to exude... even in some of the previous posts on this thread. Why is anyone *obligated* to lend your their notes that they spent effort in taking, when you decided to skip class because you felt like it?

Actually, if a classmate asked to see mine, my first reaction would be "sure, of course"... but the attitude of some of the posters on here is quite a turn off... if a TA is holding a review session and will only give out practice material to those who actually attend... why on Earth would you feel like you are the sole exception to the rule? If you can't make it, then that's too bad. Similarly, if you can't be bothered to attend class, then I don't think anyone is obligated to lend you their notes. It'd be nice if they did... but I certainly wouldn't feel like it's "owed" to me, or something, if I were in that position.

I actually tend to do this a lot in my chemistry class - but that's mainly because my teacher is weird and flat out gives us some formulas but not others, same with unit conversions and the like. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which she gives us and which she doesn't so the only way for us to know is to ask in advance - if I didn't it would be my luck that I would study the wrong things and I'd know by heart everything she outright gives us and none of the stuff she doesn't. I think I'd probably do the same even if I wasn't pre-med.

Unsung, while I agree with much of what you said, I don't understand the harm in asking what is going to be on the exam. If I ask this, I more generally mean could this concept possibly be on the exam. I do agree blatantly asking, "Will ozonolysis be a mechanism on the organic final?" is rude, but asking in general about ideas, concepts really isn't. I'm not trying to stand on a soapbox, but when you have multiple heavy load classes throwing information at you, you do want to know what is and is not a possibility for the exam. My pchem professor, for example, teaches us a lot of different material, however will not test us on all of it. We ask him if the concept/section is going to be on the exam. If it is, then it is. If it isn't, great, that is one less thing I have to worry about on top of the multitudes of various assignments, papers, study sessions, and activities going on.

I could not agree with you more regarding notes. I woke myself up at 6:30 to get to class by 8; you shall do the same. Your car broke down, sure you can have my notes. You decided to get sloshed the night before, find someone else.

TA's despise pre-meds. They always say things like "whats important is that you learn, not your grade." They don't know what the hell they are talking about though because, of course we all want to learn but we all need to make good grades too. If they had gone through the hustle, and if they were forced to take classes that were unrelated to their primary interests maybe they'd understand.

You will pretty much complain about anything other than a 100 won't you?

Actually no, I have a really high grade in lab, and final was weighted just as a regular quiz (just more work :) ) so I did not care because even if I had gotten an "F" I would have still had an A in the class. Thats why I did density, and not anything else.

I was mad because some of my friends got bad grades because of them. My usual lab partner was horrified.

Ugh. So I met a first year med student at my new job last night. This person goes to the school in my current town; one with around a 34 avg MCAT. They proceed to ask me how I did on the MCAT, which I reply "OK", they want specifics. So I got a 30, respectable in my opinion, plus I have a few acceptances already! But they go on saying I can "kiss X school goodbye" because I "only" have a 30...over and over again... like that is the only thing any adcom would ever care about. Ok so I know my likelihood of getting in there is not great, but yo, I JUST MET YOU and that's not something you say to someone you barely know. Even if it's true.

Then (after being asked) when I tell them where I got accepted to they try to make it sound like these schools are somehow majorly inferior to this one....

[/rant]

Ugh. So I met a first year med student at my new job last night. This person goes to the school in my current town; one with around a 34 avg MCAT. They proceed to ask me how I did on the MCAT, which I reply "OK", they want specifics. So I got a 30, respectable in my opinion, plus I have a few acceptances already! But they go on saying I can "kiss X school goodbye" because I "only" have a 30...over and over again... like that is the only thing any adcom would ever care about. Ok so I know my likelihood of getting in there is not great, but yo, I JUST MET YOU and that's not something you say to someone you barely know. Even if it's true.

Then (after being asked) when I tell them where I got accepted to they try to make it sound like these schools are somehow majorly inferior to this one....

[/rant]

Some people suffer from extreme inferiority complexes.

Yeah neither do I, I think its kinda dumb actually. If you don't take the time to explore other career paths, in fact, i think THEN maybe you shouldn't be pursuing medicine. Why? B/c if you don't know what else is out there, then your going into a field (medicine or other) blind as a bat - what if you don't like it? What if you decide in 10 years, Had i known profession XYZ was all about this, I would have done it instead.

I bounced around A TON on medicine, while pursuing a variety of different interests, including business and law, and even architecture. And now? I decided on becoming a doctor; I am 110% sure, that despite all the negative aspects of the field, its the right one for me. Not kinda sure, not, "hmm...what about ____". If you thought about what your statement really implies ("Don't evaluate your decision to enter medicine by considering other professions, its either you know or you don't") then you'd see the flaws in your statement.

"Will we ever have to know common names of compounds?"

(Asked in orgo class by pre-med... prof just gave her a blank stare for a second, not knowing quite how to tackle the question... no doubt he was thinking, "well, I surely hope you know certain common names like 'acetylene'"... but what he actually answered was that "yes, in life you'll probably have to know common names, but in class/on tests, I will use IUPAC names... so technically, no, you won't ever have to know common names.. in this class.")

No wonder profs hate pre-meds! It's like, can you folks at least try to hide the fact that you don't give a damn about the class beyond making an A ? At least TRY to feign an interest in actually learning something from the class?

The funny thing was, he ended up using common names on more than one test... and I think it was probably unintentional, as certain compounds are rarely referred to by their IUPAC names. I wondered how that pre-med girl fared on those questions... :laugh:

Stuff like the above is why, for the longest time, I did NOT want to associate with pre-meds or consider myself one.

I mean, of course I care about my grade. But that's tempered at least somewhat by a genuine interest in whatever subject I'm learning about. I'm so glad my undergrad school did not have formal pre-professional tracks, and basically required all students to take an extensive core curriculum.

Another thing that kind of irks me is a sense of "entitlement" some pre-meds seem to exude... even in some of the previous posts on this thread. Why is anyone *obligated* to lend your their notes that they spent effort in taking, when you decided to skip class because you felt like it?

Actually, if a classmate asked to see mine, my first reaction would be "sure, of course"... but the attitude of some of the posters on here is quite a turn off... if a TA is holding a review session and will only give out practice material to those who actually attend... why on Earth would you feel like you are the sole exception to the rule? If you can't make it, then that's too bad. Similarly, if you can't be bothered to attend class, then I don't think anyone is obligated to lend you their notes. It'd be nice if they did... but I certainly wouldn't feel like it's "owed" to me, or something, if I were in that position.

Some of you guys have some real gunner type *****s in your school, that obviuous. I am blessed to have have not encountered that much thus far. I really don't understand people like that, I mean, how can you not realize what kind of $#$&head you are.

Also, 9/10 times, if a prof talks about it in lecture, they talked about it for a reason - I mean, yeah, "You've gotta know what I am discussing in class" seems to be a given (and, yeah, i know, the sometimes random tangent needs some clarifying, but in my experience, its usually pretty obvious when they are doing that; maybe I'm wrong).

I just remembered one story that is not necessarily about a malicious pre-med, just a misguided one. Pretty short, so don't worry.

So I'm talking to this guy I had in several of my classes that has already graduated and is doing other things. He has taken the MCAT already, but I think he was trying to take it again. He had tried to apply to some allopathic schools and didn't get in.

I asked him if he tried to apply to a DO school, and he told me "I think DOs are failures as doctors."

I was a bit taken aback since I've seen numerous DOs working in the ER and how they do work no differently than the MDs. I proceed to tell him this, but he stands by his statement since DOs got into their medical schools easier.

I ask him what his GPA/MCAT scores since I thought it was appropriate at this point to know because he was so disparaging about DOs. It turns out he got a sub-30 MCAT score (I think it was high 20s) and had a GPA of something like 2.7.

It was just sad. I don't know where he got this odd idea that he was too good for DO school. Hell, with stats like that, he didn't even have a shot at DO, so I guess it did him good to not even apply.

I have another friend who is going to some BU SMP program without even having tried to apply to DO schools either. She is retaking the MCAT for the fourth time (I didn't ask her score because I didn't think it was appropriate) and reapplying for the second time (she's applying this round, but she's not going to get in). I asked her why she didn't apply to a DO school, and she said it was her last option. Her boyfriend was there with her when I was having dinner with her up in Boston, and he went on bashing DOs too not even knowing much about them.

So, she would rather go even further in debt by going to live in one of the most expensive places in the U.S. and paying god knows how much for her SMP program rather than stooping low enough to apply to a DO school. What the hell is wrong with people?

Oh, while I was having dinner with them, I semi-jokingly asked her boyfriend what was good about Harvard (I was there for an interview) so I could see if I could mention it in my interview. He proceeds to tell me to make sure I say I like research even though we just had a conversation before about how much we all hated research. I was appalled that he was telling me to lie, and it was obvious he was doing the same for his medical school interviews. I absolutely hate this typical pre-med mentality of sacrificing everything, including morals, to try to get the best of the best.

Funny thing, the next day at my interview, I told my interviewer that I didn't like research and she agreed with me even though she was a researcher herself. She told me how she didn't like basic science research, but preferred clinical research. I told her I liked the results of research and not so much the leg work, and she told me that's what clinical research dealt more with since the basic science components were delegated to PhDs, etc. So, it pays to tell the truth since she seemed to have a favorable reaction with my honesty.

It's unfortunate how misinformed pre-meds are about other professions even ones very similar to their own.

Re: TAs hating pre-meds... I'm a TA (Biochem and Genetics) and I don't necessarily hate pre-meds. I get scared sometimes when I see a premed who is obviously struggling with the class, but I understand that not everyone's going to love lab. As long as you work hard and show that you learned something, you'll do fine. In fact, since the majority of my class is pre-med, they're always really interested in my experience with the whole process.

Or maybe I just don't have the gunners in my class... =)

A pre-med rival of mine saw that I was about to harvest a number of acceptances because of a relatively unique double major, volunteering experience, and research grant.

How did he respond? He bought (and now wears) the same exact pair of glasses I own. Black Gucci. He never wore glasses before. And he switched his major to mine in his junior year. Bahahaha.

He hasn't a single interview.

TAs and profs often have no empathy towards pre-meds. I got a bogus grade from a TA who laughed at how pre-meds are so hell bent on getting A's. Those type of people are the ones that irritate me.

As much as I would love to sit and enjoy your class, I have a GPA cutoff to make. Nothing personal. If I don't make it the dream is dead. Not only will I not be doing what I want for the rest of my life, I will probably be stuck in an overall undesirable career. So forgive me if I am putting my life in perspective and not taking in the scenery.

The sad fact is that if you didn't major in business or engineering, which most pre-meds don't, you degree will get you very little.

I understand the annoyance with self-absorbed and malicious pre-meds, I can't stand them either. But it is stupid to insult people for being die hard about an A, that is the game and it won't change.

I agree with the annoyance with people who are pre-med because of Grey's Anatomy and House. These people are stupid and don't do their research. If you want to be a doctor you should have a pretty good idea of what it is really life. You should also be 100% sure it is what you want to do.

Re: TAs hating pre-meds... I'm a TA (Biochem and Genetics) and I don't necessarily hate pre-meds. I get scared sometimes when I see a premed who is obviously struggling with the class, but I understand that not everyone's going to love lab. As long as you work hard and show that you learned something, you'll do fine. In fact, since the majority of my class is pre-med, they're always really interested in my experience with the whole process.

Or maybe I just don't have the gunners in my class... =)

The difference is that you are also a pre-med and not a grad student/PhD candidate like all my TAs are.

TAs and profs often have no empathy towards pre-meds. I got a bogus grade from a TA who laughed at how pre-meds are so hell bent on getting A's. Those type of people are the ones that irritate me.

As much as I would love to sit and enjoy your class, I have a GPA cutoff to make. Nothing personal. If I don't make it the dream is dead. Not only will I not be doing what I want for the rest of my life, I will probably be stuck in an overall undesirable career. So forgive me if I am putting my life in perspective and not taking in the scenery.

The sad fact is that if you didn't major in business or engineering, which most pre-meds don't, you degree will get you very little.

I understand the annoyance with self-absorbed and malicious pre-meds, I can't stand them either. But it is stupid to insult people for being die hard about an A, that is the game and it won't change.

I agree with the annoyance with people who are pre-med because of Grey's Anatomy and House. These people are stupid and don't do their research. If you want to be a doctor you should have a pretty good idea of what it is really life. You should also be 100% sure it is what you want to do.

Like I said many TAs have no idea. They would have some empathy if they went through the process. As I mentioned many of us are taking their class because it is REQUIRED not of our intense interest in the field. Don't get me wrong I find all the pre-req basic sciences fairly interesting, but not uniformly so and they are not the most interesting thing I could be studying. I'm trying to make an A and learn as much info (whose content is of no long term benefit to me unless I do basic research).

I was speaking with this one girl about Mayo Medical School. I told her that I received a pre-secondary rejection after paying the 80 dollar fee, and told her that I'm okay with it, because it's very competitive and they only give out 500 or so secondaries. She then said, "ha, I actually got the secondary; looks like I'm just that much better than you are."

Verbatim.

I can't believe how lame people are. Can you believe I've not encountered a single premed like this? Except for this one dude that was insisting there is no such thing as clinical research and the only type of research you could do as a doctor was basic research. He had one of the highest grades in my class. He also was very reluctant to let me borrow his solutions manual. I guess he was an ass... but aside from him.

I was speaking with this one girl about Mayo Medical School. I told her that I received a pre-secondary rejection after paying the 80 dollar fee, and told her that I'm okay with it, because it's very competitive and they only give out 500 or so secondaries. She then said, "ha, I actually got the secondary; looks like I'm just that much better than you are."

Verbatim.

Congratulations on your restraint; I may have had difficulty holding back, and just punched her right in the face.

Out of curiosity - can you give me some sort of description about what school you attend (Large/Ivy League/ Small/ liberal Arts/ State School, w/e)?

Congratulations on your restraint; I may have had difficulty holding back, and just punched her right in the face.

Out of curiosity - can you give me some sort of description about what school you attend (Large/Ivy League/ Small/ liberal Arts/ State School, w/e)?

Thanks. I go to a state school in the south. I don't know if that is what you are looking for, but it's large, and obviously not an ivy.

A pre-med rival of mine saw that I was about to harvest a number of acceptances because of a relatively unique double major, volunteering experience, and research grant.

How did he respond? He bought (and now wears) the same exact pair of glasses I own. Black Gucci. He never wore glasses before. And he switched his major to mine in his junior year. Bahahaha.

He hasn't a single interview.

My gunner sense is tingling. This story does not reflect well on you.

Verbatim.

Ick. I'd like to think that's pure immaturity rather than cruelty. If it's the former, hopefully she'll grow out of it sooner rather than later. If not, I hope she's not ever my doctor, classmate, or colleague.

Nothing wrong with that, the doctor I shadowed kept calling me a medical student, i don't think patients really care, and it would be rude to correct the doctor in front of the patients. before i started shadowing i told him i am getting my bachelors and APPLYING now, the point is, no one cares, i don't care, just stfu gosh.

when I was shadowing, the doc introduced me to patients as a med student, even though he's been my family friend throughout my life and knows i'm not quite there yet. It's a bit easier for a patient to take than a pre-med just hanging around on some hypothetical goal.

Doc to patient "Now, undress while this random kid is just hanging out in the room"

when I was shadowing, the doc introduced me to patients as a med student. It's a bit easier for a patient to take than a pre-med just hanging around on some hypothetical goal.

Have had that happen. That, and "student doctor exi."

Neither are truly lies, and both work so much better than saying, "Well, Mr./Ms./Mrs. so-and-so, exi here is a premedical student at exi's university o' 4-years-for-a-piece-of-damn-paper, and he's shadowing me today. He has but a fraction of one percent of the medical knowledge I have, and hey, he's just kinda like a floor lamp in a really sunlit room -- think of him as f'in decoration, but with a pulse. Mind if he's here?"

Have had that happen. That, and "student doctor exi."

Neither are truly lies, and both work so much better than saying, "Well, Mr./Ms./Mrs. so-and-so, exi here is a premedical student at exi's university o' 4-years-for-a-piece-of-damn-paper, and he's shadowing me today. He has but a fraction of one percent of the medical knowledge I have, and hey, he's just kinda like a floor lamp in a really sunlit room -- think of him as f'in decoration, but with a pulse. Mind if he's here?"

yeah, exactly. it's a bit different in a volunteer ER position though. My doc I tag along with basically has given me the boot. Said I've seen as much as I can see that's beneficial without having the baseline knowledge of med school. That's fine with me.

What a jerk!!!!

Anyway, in my Chem class we have an online forum where we can discuss homework and lab problems. I like to give people the wrong process and answers because its really funny when they lose points...

HAHAHA that is wrong & evil, but i used to do a similar thing... in my biostats class random people would ask me how to solve certain problems and i would show them a confusing (& incorrect) method.

that's why it's important to learn things on your own. never trust any pre-med student.... we are all wayyy to competitive.

TA's despise pre-meds. They always say things like "whats important is that you learn, not your grade." They don't know what the hell they are talking about though because, of course we all want to learn but we all need to make good grades too. If they had gone through the hustle, and if they were forced to take classes that were unrelated to their primary interests maybe they'd understand.

of course both aspects are important. obviously, if your grade is high, you must be learning SOMETHING. right?

i hate pre-meds who ask too many pointless questions. review sessions for example- if a TA/prof goes over something extensively, then DUH, odds are it will show up again on the exam. one thing that never fails- study everything and you'll be prepared for anything =p. i dislike those pre-meds who require so much guidance, direction and need to be spoon-fed. as pre-med students, it's important to learn how to be intuitive and anticipate what kind of questions a prof. would ask... go to lecture, observe his styles, research what he specializes in- shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

you can't be a doctor and ask your patients, "what do you think your prognosis is? should i give you prozac? what should i do?"

my suggestion: don't ask questions unless they are how/why questions

HAHAHA that is wrong & evil, but i used to do a similar thing... in my biostats class random people would ask me how to solve certain problems and i would show them a confusing (& incorrect) method.

that's why it's important to learn things on your own. never trust any pre-med student.... we are all wayyy to competitive.
This is digusting and your core set of values is f'ed up. Send them to the professor if you don't want to help them. These are your classmates, not someone hiding in the bushes waiting to off you at any moment.I hope I never meet you.

:thumbdown:

I never did that. I don't think that it is "all" of us, just you and a couple of other insecure gunners. Most people have too much common decency, even if they are pursuing a competitive career path.

I can't believe how lame people are. Can you believe I've not encountered a single premed like this?

Same here. Most of the premeds I have met have seemed like generally nice and interesting people, even if some of them really sweated their grades. I am wondering where everyone finds these people.

As a former Organic TA, I would say the frustration isn't purely the drive to get only an A, it's the attitude of "I'll do anything it takes in the process" that wears on you.

It's also people pulling on your pant legs every step of the way because of a fear of failure. But that's more understandable.

So far, I haven't had much time for shadowing. The only shadowing I've done was to shadow my son's pediatrician. He just has the nurses who take the vitals tell the parents "Doctor Bob (name made up) has a student shadowing him today to see if she would be interested in being a pediatrician. Would you mind having her in the room?" then they left a note on the door. It worked rather well actually.

Wow, you are quite an obnoxious little $&(%$*.:mad: I Have never, once in my entire freaking life deliberately given someone a wrong answer for any reason at all. If you don't want to help, be man (or woman) enough to say that.

What's worse is that you are proud of it. Unfortunately, I'm sure people like you get into medical school. You'll also some day have no problem misdirecting a colleague some day at the risk of someone's life just so you can come save the day like some super hero prick. But I'm sure you sleep well at night, knowing that you cause others to do poorly. Shame your professors don't know. Well, your moral values will leave you burning in hell some day.

Thanks. I go to a state school in the south. I don't know if that is what you are looking for, but it's large, and obviously not an ivy.

yeah that was. i was really just interested in the size of the school. Thanks.

As to my post two up, IF I get banned for anything there; GOOD! Little $%A$head should be hunted down until exposed. Hopefully you'll be dumb enough to set up an MDapps and someone takes the time to figure out who you are.

i hate pre-meds who ask too many pointless questions. review sessions for example- if a TA/prof goes over something extensively, then DUH, odds are it will show up again on the exam. one thing that never fails- study everything and you'll be prepared for anything =p. i dislike those pre-meds who require so much guidance, direction and need to be spoon-fed.

This is only somewhat related. but before the cumulative final in every foreign language course I've ever taken, half the class begs "What words are going to be on the final? Can't you narrow it down?" yes, they can narrow down which chapters of grammar will be covered...but how can a teacher narrow down the vocab on a cumulative foreign language final. what do these kids expect? Is the teacher going to give you a list of only the words that will be used on the test. just study your vocab in the text book. it bugs me. why would u waste time asking this question??

Wow, you are quite an obnoxious little $&(%$*.:mad: I Have never, once in my entire freaking life deliberately given someone a wrong answer for any reason at all. If you don't want to help, be man (or woman) enough to say that.

What's worse is that you are proud of it. Unfortunately, I'm sure people like you get into medical school. You'll also some day have no problem misdirecting a colleague some day at the risk of someone's life just so you can come save the day like some super hero prick. But I'm sure you sleep well at night, knowing that you cause others to do poorly. Shame your professors don't know. Well, your moral values will leave you burning in hell some day.

Verbal skewering, ahoy. :laugh:

Was hoping that the post in question was a joke, but if it's not... yeah, others have already pointed out how pathetic it is.