Malignant OMFS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMSWannaB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since it's interview season, I thought this might be an appropriate topic to discuss.
I remember when I was on the interview trail, this was commonly asked about.
However, the purpose of this thread is not to identify malignant programs, but to define it.

Without naming any particular programs, what is the standard definition of a "malignant" OMFS program?

I have heard people say "the attendings are malignant"; which have ranged from attendings constantly "pimping" their residents, cursing at their residents and even throwing instruments in the OR. But I've also seen other ways a program can be "malignant" that's not just limited to attendings. Chief and/or upper level residents can have "malignant" behavior as well; which also brings up my next question...

What defines a person as "malignant"? Could it be a chief that forces his/her intern to stay in the hospital for 10 hours for no reason, do ridiculous scut work, cursing or yelling at their interns, etc.

Is it the attendings, the residents or the combination of both that makes a program considered "malignant"?

Current residents or OMFS graduates, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Malignant is when there's a poisonous relationship between residents and between residents and faculty. Period.

It's not defined by workload or anything else, just people being miserable to each other. There's some historically malignant programs, and they're pretty well known. You'd also usually be lucky to match to them, as the one's i know of are still excellent programs, just not the happiest.

Last edited:
Malignant is when there's a poisonous relationship between residents and between residents and faculty. Period.

It's not defined by workload or anything else, just people being miserable to each other. There's some historically malignant programs, and they're pretty well known. You'd also usually be lucky to match to them, as the one's i know of are still excellent programs, just not the happiest.

If you don't mind me asking, which residencies are you referring to (that are known to be malignant)?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking, which residencies are you referring to (that are known to be malignant)?

I would like to get your opinion as well on which ones you think are malignant. PM if you feel more comfortable that way

I would like to get your opinion as well on which ones you think are malignant. PM if you feel more comfortable that way

Determining which programs are malignant is a challenge for those trying to get into a residency. You won't really find out until you get in. Despite knowing which programs are "malignant", there will be many other programs out there you won't be aware of that are secretly malignant or just hidden from the radar. And some of these are known to be "good" programs as well.

Just know that residency is a "2nd home". When guests are visiting (i.e. interviews or externs), residents and attendings will be on their best behavior. They will mask and fabricate a lot of things to sell their program to you. Once the guests are gone, the kitchen knives are pulled out.

Without naming any particular programs, what is the standard definition of a "malignant" OMFS program?

based on your post history...whichever program you're a part of.

i keed

Again, please avoid labeling programs publicly on SDN.

Totally agree. Hoping someone on here will PM with what they hear are some malignant programs though haha.

They will mask and fabricate a lot of things to sell their program to you. Once the guests are gone, the kitchen knives are pulled out.
ynQ4mJ

Yup - so true.

Frustration should be expected anywhere you go, but malicious people should be avoided.

Yup - so true.

Frustration should be expected anywhere you go, but malicious people should be avoided.

Unfortunately this is inevitable. Our specialty attracts alpha personalities, egos and greed. You're bound to find a malicious resident or faculty at every program.