Malignant OMFS Program

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by OMSWannaB, 09.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.

Thanks to Crack the NBDE

Thanks to QbankDMD
  1. OMSWannaB

OMSWannaB 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Since it's interview season, I thought this might be an appropriate topic to discuss.
    I remember when I was on the interview trail, this was commonly asked about.
    However, the purpose of this thread is not to identify malignant programs, but to define it.

Without naming any particular programs, what is the standard definition of a "malignant" OMFS program?

I have heard people say "the attendings are malignant"; which have ranged from attendings constantly "pimping" their residents, cursing at their residents and even throwing instruments in the OR. But I've also seen other ways a program can be "malignant" that's not just limited to attendings. Chief and/or upper level residents can have "malignant" behavior as well; which also brings up my next question...

What defines a person as "malignant"? Could it be a chief that forces his/her intern to stay in the hospital for 10 hours for no reason, do ridiculous scut work, cursing or yelling at their interns, etc.

Is it the attendings, the residents or the combination of both that makes a program considered "malignant"?

Current residents or OMFS graduates, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. UncUndergrad1

UncUndergrad1 7+ Year Member

Malignant is when there's a poisonous relationship between residents and between residents and faculty. Period.

It's not defined by workload or anything else, just people being miserable to each other. There's some historically malignant programs, and they're pretty well known. You'd also usually be lucky to match to them, as the one's i know of are still excellent programs, just not the happiest.

Last edited: 10.05.14
  4. Bereno

Bereno Smoking Monkey 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you don't mind me asking, which residencies are you referring to (that are known to be malignant)?

mightyquinn likes this.
  5. KillaCam

KillaCam KillaCam 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I would like to get your opinion as well on which ones you think are malignant. PM if you feel more comfortable that way

6. OMSWannaB

OMSWannaB 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Again, please avoid labeling programs publicly on SDN.

7. OMSWannaB

OMSWannaB 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Determining which programs are malignant is a challenge for those trying to get into a residency. You won't really find out until you get in. Despite knowing which programs are "malignant", there will be many other programs out there you won't be aware of that are secretly malignant or just hidden from the radar. And some of these are known to be "good" programs as well.

Just know that residency is a "2nd home". When guests are visiting (i.e. interviews or externs), residents and attendings will be on their best behavior. They will mask and fabricate a lot of things to sell their program to you. Once the guests are gone, the kitchen knives are pulled out.

8. Ferneezy

Ferneezy I don't always Go Blue, but when I do... 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    based on your post history...whichever program you're a part of.

i keed

Bereno likes this.
  9. Bereno

Bereno Smoking Monkey 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Totally agree. Hoping someone on here will PM with what they hear are some malignant programs though haha.

10. Contach

Contach 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yup - so true.

Frustration should be expected anywhere you go, but malicious people should be avoided.

11. OMSWannaB

OMSWannaB 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unfortunately this is inevitable. Our specialty attracts alpha personalities, egos and greed. You're bound to find a malicious resident or faculty at every program.

About the ads