malpractice climate in PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chauffeur

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
heard of a lot of jobs in PA. is the malpractice climate that bad? seems like insurance might be 3 K more than other states in the area for an interventonal doc. i'm not sure what else i should be considering. are there just a lot of multi-million-dollar verdicts? if one practices the same way in MD and PA, is it just easier get sued in PA and also for more money?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's so much a malpractice issue as a crappy medical economic environment issue.

I don't think it's so much a malpractice issue as a crappy medical economic environment issue.

Do you just mean lower than average reimbursements, or something else as well, rejection of pain claims? high medicare/caid population?

From the tidbits I hear now and then it sounds like fees are low and the regulatory climate is unpleasant. There are state-mandated malpractice coverage levels and there is a backup fund called Mcare.

I am not sure on the details but I think Mcare is supposed to be a state fund to cover excessive judgments in malpractice cases. Physicians have to pay into this fund. The State of Pennsylvania recently raided Mcare coffers to balance the state budget.

Maybe you should call the PA medical society and talk to someone about the mass migration out of the state.