Malpractice premiums resource?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coleman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a link to a site that lists all the average premiums EPs pay in each state. I know that it all depends on who the contract with, etc etc, but I'm looking for the big picture, i.e. West Virginia average is $120,000 / year, Pennsylvania average is $70,000 / year.

As mentioned previously, if this is a common practice and hospitals are covering malpractice on top of the said salaries, it would make sense that hospitals in states with lower rates would be able to offer more when compared, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Coleman
Anyone have a link to a site that lists all the average premiums EPs pay in each state. I know that it all depends on who the contract with, etc etc, but I'm looking for the big picture, i.e. West Virginia average is $120,000 / year, Pennsylvania average is $70,000 / year.

As mentioned previously, if this is a common practice and hospitals are covering malpractice on top of the said salaries, it would make sense that hospitals in states with lower rates would be able to offer more when compared, correct?

It's a factor, but not the biggest one. Probably the biggest factor in how much you get paid is who owns the contract and what your agreement is with the contract holder. It doesn't matter what the malpractice costs if the contract holder only agrees to pay you a particular wage. And just because they can make more money by paying lower malpractice rates doesn't mean they will pass that savings on to you.

With that caveat, I know of no such resource listing average malpractice costs for EPs. If you find one, let us all know.