Malpractice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halaljello

Hot Oil
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Initially the $200K+ salaries sounded nice in a previous thread, but yesterday I was reading an issue of TIME and in Illinois (and many other states) malpractice for EM docs can reach $100K+ !!!
If u factor in taxes and u can be barely making it past 60K! is this really the case for many docs out there...? or is this an overexaggeration?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on location and practice setting.

Some hospitals cover you.

Other states have lower insurance premiums.

In the case I cited, the EM doc I know doesnt pay insurance...its covered by the hospital. Not sure of the exact structure of practice...I will ask him.

But there are so many different practice setups for EM docs that you cant put a "general rule" on it.

Most of the employment setups these days include malpractice insurance. It's insanely expensive to buy it on your own, so most groups/hospitals/HMOs cover that expense.

The salaries quoted in the other thread (at least the ones I listed) were all jobs where the malpractice was already covered by the practice group, so the salary is what is paid over and above those costs.