Man, I love Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, yes, working 27 straight hours without sleep SOUNDS bad, but all I have to say is JMH/Ryder is amazing for a trauma rotation.

The surgeons are really amazingly nice (fellows, attendings, residents), the center knows its **** and they see really phenomenal trauma.

And I came home, slept in my bed for 4 hours, then on the beach for another two.

Now, I am going to go chill by the pool and/or beach and get 'rested' for another 24 starting tomm.

Damn, miami is fun. :love: :love: :love:

Members don't see this ad.

damn you're lucky..

i'm running a chest pain/CHF or COPD exacerbation clinic here in ER B and ER C

:mad:

oh well.. only 15 weeks and 2 days left for intern year!

Miami is the best.. My amazing hometown!

Members don't see this ad :)
AznTrojan said:
damn you're lucky..

i'm running a chest pain/CHF or COPD exacerbation clinic here in ER B and ER C

:mad:

mmmmmmmmm. can't say I am minding the break from med stuff. :D Just don't page me. :cool:

Roja,
I wish I got to meet you when I interviewed at SLR. You sure seem sweet.

AznTrojan said:

Wow, is that really all that's left of this year?

And they say pain doesn't go by quickly.

Take care,
Jeff

roja said:
Alright, yes, working 27 straight hours without sleep SOUNDS bad, but all I have to say is JMH/Ryder is amazing for a trauma rotation.

The surgeons are really amazingly nice (fellows, attendings, residents), the center knows its **** and they see really phenomenal trauma.

And I came home, slept in my bed for 4 hours, then on the beach for another two.

Now, I am going to go chill by the pool and/or beach and get 'rested' for another 24 starting tomm.

Born and raised!!! Its awesome! :)

Not born.. but lived there from when I was 18 months until I left for college.. Ill be back in April!

roja said:

i lov miami too.. i am there now.. miami beach, chilin ocean front, north collins,,

drdrtoledo said:
Roja,
I wish I got to meet you when I interviewed at SLR. You sure seem sweet.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you either! We have a very friendly program, 99% of the time. :)

Southerndoc: Nope, not your 'typical' surgery. Come in for 24 hours and run the traumas and take consults. No floor rounding, etc. off for the next 48. Wash, repeat. :thumbup:

roja said:
Southerndoc: Nope, not your 'typical' surgery. Come in for 24 hours and run the traumas and take consults. No floor rounding, etc. off for the next 48. Wash, repeat. :thumbup:

Awesome, so you basically just do call and that's it. That's sweet having 48 hours off to explore Miami!! A whole month should make you very tan and know Miami like the back of your hand.

Let us know how many chest tubes, etc. you get. I may do a rotation there.

Jackson is a great hospital for learning trauma. Too bad it doesn't have an EM residency program. Everyday someone gets scraped off of I-95, or "some guy" stabs an innocent bystander repeatedly, or a homeless person comes with necrotic tissue saying, "I didn't think that it was anything to be concerned about."

roja said:
Nope, not your 'typical' surgery. Come in for 24 hours and run the traumas and take consults. No floor rounding, etc. off for the next 48. Wash, repeat. :thumbup:

Does this mean no midnight "can I give Tylenol" floor calls?

SWEEEEET!

Take care,
Jeff

My best friend is a student at miami. so I am very familiar with it...

From what he tells me, an EM residency at UM would be a disaster. the attendings are mostly old-school grandfathered in, and the cutting-edge trauma surgery dept really runs the show, NOT the ED.

Ryder trauma is seperate from the main ED. So, yup, trauma surg runs all the 'level 1s': meaning, serious trauma comes to ryder. less than serious goes to ERC ('surg' ER).

No floor work at all. I pretty much take the ER consults (so the other second year can go to the ER) and deal with trauma's. There is a TICU/SICU team so as an ER resident, I don't have to do any of that stuff.

Its great. They see crazy ass stuff.

Kind of agree about no residency here. From my limited experience, it would definately be a disaster. But if you want to learn trauma, this is an AWESOME place. The nurses are great, the surgeons are nice adn the volume and exposure is amazing. :D