Managed Care Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heroicvagabond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard much about these residencies in the forum so I thought I'd ask within this thread. I am interested in applying to managed care residencies but seem to have a hard time getting info on them other than what's posted on a website or a general brochure. I was hoping someone here might be able to provide some more insight.

I understand that managed care residencies are a bit of a different beast compared to general practice residencies. There are only a couple in each state and typically there's 20-40 applicants for one or two spots. I had a couple questions in regards pursuing on of these spots.

Is ASHP Midyear (December) still a good idea or is the AMCP Nexus (October) a better option. I don't want to it to count against me by not going to Midyear or not presenting a poster at midyear which many general residencies take into consideration.

I'll be upfront, my GPA is on the low end (maybe above a 3.0 by the time applications come around) but I have 3 years hospital internship experience as well as one year in a managed care residency. My APPE's include a pharma company, the FDA, an amb care/managed care, and transitions of care site. I've already been told the my choices have basically nixed any chance at most general PGY1, but I'm hoping that this is what a managed care residency would consider good experience.

Sorry for the long winded post, just hoping to get some more information and suggestions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to get more info from the managed care residency program that you already did in your experience...

I have gotten some information from them. I do plan on applying all over the country and was hoping to get some more perspective on the subject, possibly from any one in this community that may have gone the managed care route.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your rotation selections are strong for someone looking into managed care. Treat each one like a job interview. Hopefully your preceptors know some of the program directors at sites your apply to and can write a strong LOR.

I can't comment on managed care showcases at midyear, but Nexus gives you a stronger opportunity to network and get your face out there as it's a much smaller and intimate experience. I would definitely go to Nexus if there are programs that interest you at the showcase, if only to get your face out there. If your first time presenting a poster would be at midyear, I'd day that's a good alibi to attend as well (but note that you can also present posters at Nexus).

You can't do much to change your GPA at this point- but your work experiences and rotations make it sound like you'll have well-rounded experiences that you can tout.

I was just in your shoes not to long ago. I completed a managed care residency and now work for a regional health plan. When I was applying for residencies I went to both Nexus and Midyear so I can shed some light into both conferences. The AMCP Nexus conference is tailored more specifically for students than for practicing pharmacists. It's a great way to introduce yourself into managed care concepts and there is also a student session to help polish up your CV prior to applying for the residencies. There is also a residency showcase during NEXUS which is a REALLY good face-time opportunity with residency directors. They are more likely to remember you at the NEXUS meeting because there's a much lower volume of students to interact with. Honestly, if you could only go to one conference, I would go to the NEXUS. Obviously going to Midyear would also help (especially if they remember you from NEXUS) but these conferences aren't cheap so you can decide what's best for you.

Side note: if you are presenting a poster at Midyear, ask your College if there are reimursement options since you will be representing the college (worked for many of my classmates).

As far as your application, I was a low GPA student as well. Like you said, managed care is a different beast of its own. These programs look for "fit", more than anything else. Most MC residencies have a corporate setting so will you be able to fit in with the work culture, can you communicate effectively with different healthcare professionals, finance analysts, health plan administrators, etc.? This is how I was able to sell myself during interviews. If you have rotations at a pharma company, the FDA, an amb care/managed care setting and already completed a managed care internship this will help you significantly. Many applicants have zero managed care experience so make sure you are able to showcase these experiences and what you were able to accomplish. I know this is all pretty general info, so PM me if you would like more information.

Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
To give you an idea of what a residency program is like, you could read through the goals and objectives for an ASHP/AMCP accredited residency (I've attached it). It's not exciting, but informational.

I would attend AMCP since it is focused on managed care and many managed care program only go to AMCP and not ASHP. In the mean time, start writing a letter of intent that shows why you want to do a managed care residency, polish your CV and start practicing a few interview questions.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• ManagedCare-1.doc
    809.5 KB · Views: 156