DoctorSaab

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2002
355
0
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I know there are many threads relating to this topic, but I need fresh motivation.

How the heck do you guys manage between your normal classes and studying for MCAT? I feel like I cant even put in enough to go over the material -- there is just not enough time.

I have so much crap due in my normal classes that hogs all my time. It's beginning to stress me out. I work part-time as well and take classes on the weekends. I am also shadowing, volunteering AND doing research!! Seriously, what do you guys do?

How do you space time throughout your week and get in a sufficient amount of studying for MCATs?
 

flashmark

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
16
0
35
Birmingham, AL
Status
I lose sleep I guess. I'm really behind too.....but then again it's all relative...am I only behind according to the ExamKrackers study guide? I think a lot of people are in our same situation. I've had a lot of my friends just this week back out and say they're "going to Plan B" and taking the August test.

Just try to stay motivated and utilize the weekends to catch up however you can. It's definitely harder than I thought it would be....

Sorry not much help.....I'm running on 3 hours sleep and have a Micro test tomorrow (AKA I haven't done EK for the night either........see what I mean?)
 
OP
D

DoctorSaab

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2002
355
0
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Right -- every day goes by and I tell myself, "DAMMIT I DIDNT DO ENOUGH OF MCAT AS I SHOULD HAVE". And slowly, a week goes by and you see you are so freaking behind.

The stress just compiles and now I really dont know what the heck it is I should do? Should I worry more about the MCAT or my classes? I give superiority to my damn classes that take up all my time because ruining my GPA wouldn't be great. Then again, screwing your MCAT grade isn't either.

That is why I started the April vs. August thread to see both sides. And then I want to finally make a decision. If anyone is in the same boat, please post and help!
 

shuzee

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
317
0
Los Angeles, CA
Status
DoctorSaab said:
Right -- every day goes by and I tell myself, "DAMMIT I DIDNT DO ENOUGH OF MCAT AS I SHOULD HAVE". And slowly, a week goes by and you see you are so freaking behind.

The stress just compiles and now I really dont know what the heck it is I should do? Should I worry more about the MCAT or my classes? I give superiority to my damn classes that take up all my time because ruining my GPA wouldn't be great. Then again, screwing your MCAT grade isn't either.

That is why I started the April vs. August thread to see both sides. And then I want to finally make a decision. If anyone is in the same boat, please post and help!
I think doing three hours every dingle day should be enough. and then like 10-15 hours on the weekend. I am in the same boat as you, but i think you need to cut down on ALL the extra things, i work, do research and go to school too, just got over with midterms actually, so i know where everyone is coming from. But i think if we take 2-3 hours a day and more on the weekends, it should not be bad...
Have you guys finished the review of the material? i notice that alot of people on the forum have already switched to practice mode!
:eek: :eek: :eek:
 

tank you

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
2,293
1
36
california
www.last.fm
Status
im in the same situation, i volunteer, do research, and go to classes. and i am getting plenty of mcat studying done every day (3-4 hrs). u just have to sacrifice everything else, no time for fun, at least on the weekdays. on the weekends, i do 6+ hrs studying/day. its only until april, then ur free.
 

nightowl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
308
1
South
Status
Medical Student
Yep, I am definitely in this boat, and very, very glad to hear that other people are working nonstop and still feeling behind. Every pre-med around here insists that they study mcat, like, 8 hrs a day. :rolleyes: I'm doing research, writing my senior thesis, classes, and MCAT. I'm also feeling the burn out and am finding that my study time is less productive as it was when I was fresh even though I am usually squeezing in 2-3 hrs a day. My last practice test was a 26, which was an improvement from my diagnostic but still not good enough to get me in the door, so I'm getting a little discouraged. But I think we all just have to remember that all of this work is going to PAY OFF and remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. After I take this thing I think I'm going to watch Sex and the City reruns for like a week straight. ;)
 

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
13,874
36
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
nightowl said:
Yep, I am definitely in this boat, and very, very glad to hear that other people are working nonstop and still feeling behind. Every pre-med around here insists that they study mcat, like, 8 hrs a day. :rolleyes: I'm doing research, writing my senior thesis, classes, and MCAT. I'm also feeling the burn out and am finding that my study time is less productive as it was when I was fresh even though I am usually squeezing in 2-3 hrs a day. My last practice test was a 26, which was an improvement from my diagnostic but still not good enough to get me in the door, so I'm getting a little discouraged. But I think we all just have to remember that all of this work is going to PAY OFF and remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. After I take this thing I think I'm going to watch Sex and the City reruns for like a week straight. ;)

Don't get discouraged. The best thing you can do is be positive and just continue to do what you need to do. And especially focuse the last month or so before the test, because that will be the most critical month of all. If you are confident at that time, then go ahead and take it. If not get your partial refund.

Also, maybe you want to see where you stand before early March when deadline to register is. Then you'll have a good chance of seeing whether you feel you are ready or not.
 

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
1,164
1
35
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
Yeah same as jtank...my days consist of working out and studying/doing schoolwork. I told my friends that I'd see them in april and only on saturday or friday nights (but not both) will I go chill with em....and if I do I bring along something to study if we're chilling at someones house :((((

But one think I KNOW for sure, is that to me the MCAT and school for just these next two months are more important to me than anything else...because if I work hard now, I will enjoy it later. The MCAT must be a one time deal =D
 

run_4ever

waiting........
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
80
0
Status
But one think I KNOW for sure, is that to me the MCAT and school for just these next two months are more important to me than anything else...because if I work hard now, I will enjoy it later. The MCAT must be a one time deal =D[/QUOTE]
How true. I only want to go thru the agony of MCAT once. Everything is really crazy right now, but I don't want to repeat this exam in August.
 

nishi

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
132
2
Status
DoctorSaab said:
I know there are many threads relating to this topic, but I need fresh motivation.

How the heck do you guys manage between your normal classes and studying for MCAT? I feel like I cant even put in enough to go over the material -- there is just not enough time.


How do you space time throughout your week and get in a sufficient amount of studying for MCATs?
how do i do it?

I don't sleep, well hardly at least. like in bed at 330am and up again at 7 am :(. i live on coffee and try to manage my time as much as possible (read for classes while eating lunch, listen to AO while walking to classes). i think most of the stress i feel is from my extracirruculars-- research and interning-- because i don't want them (my mentors) to think i'm lazy but school has priority
 

HistoRocks

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
175
0
Status
If its that stressful, take a semester off to study for MCAT. No offence... you don't need to kill yourself, if you give yourself sufficient time. Just a thought, so don't bury me with four-letter compliments now. ;)