Managing Dental School and Marriage/Family Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweettooth326

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Not sure if there's a thread about this or not.
So I am married, and my wife and I will be welcoming a new born this coming February. I've been fortunate enough to receive two dental school acceptances so far, and we have parents that will be able to somewhat help us out in either state. However, the thought of having to juggle dental school and family life overwhelms me. For those of you who are or have been in dental school while being married (with or without kids), how have you been able to balance school and spending time with your wife/family?

Would love to hear some stories (good or bad) and get some input from you guys! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The married couples tend to have date night once a week in my class, no matter what. They seem happy and comfortable with the support and use it as a strength, not a weakness.

The one with the new born had to repeat first year though, and look paler than I ever did. The school worked with him though and he seems to be finishing off the year just fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The married couples tend to have date night once a week in my class, no matter what. They seem happy and comfortable with the support and use it as a strength, not a weakness.

The one with the new born had to repeat first year though, and look paler than I ever did. The school worked with him though and he seems to be finishing off the year just fine.

Good to know! Thanks for that!

Warning: Long ranty/lecturing post. I have become my father.

Married for (almost) five years, we have a 2 year old, and our second due in a week. I'm half way through 2nd year.

It works. You make it work. Your wife makes it work. You prioritize time with them, do less with your class, party not at all, and just make sure she and your child know you are there for them first.
The dean of students at my school put it this way "if the price of your education is your family, you're paying too much."

Schedule yourself. Schedule date night. Schedule sex (sometimes you have to, especially after the kid gets here). Be willing for both of you to make compromises on what you want and do and like.

Your job is especially interesting, because you'll get home and want to chill but you'll have to realize that your wife and kid need you to not chill yet. You may be stressed out of your mind but you just have to make sure you don't take it out on them. Overall, separate school and home life as much as possible.

It's not the easiest thing, but I think I am a way better student because I'm a husband and father. Gives me a reason to care about useless information like Biochem and pillars of research.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 11 users
Make sure you take a day, a whole day, every week, the same day each week, and do NOTHING school related that day. For me, it's Sunday, and I never study, go to school, or think about school that day. It's been huge.

Reactions: 4 users
Make sure you take a day, a whole day, every week, the same day each week, and do NOTHING school related that day. For me, it's Sunday, and I never study, go to school, or think about school that day. It's been huge.

I love this. I do it now except it's more like half the week I procrastinate lol Looking forward to having a more set, serious schedule, but also that work/life balance. :)

Warning: Long ranty/lecturing post. I have become my father.

Married for (almost) five years, we have a 2 year old, and our second due in a week. I'm half way through 2nd year.

It works. You make it work. Your wife makes it work. You prioritize time with them, do less with your class, party not at all, and just make sure she and your child know you are there for them first.
The dean of students at my school put it this way "if the price of your education is your family, you're paying too much."

Schedule yourself. Schedule date night. Schedule sex (sometimes you have to, especially after the kid gets here). Be willing for both of you to make compromises on what you want and do and like.

Your job is especially interesting, because you'll get home and want to chill but you'll have to realize that your wife and kid need you to not chill yet. You may be stressed out of your mind but you just have to make sure you don't take it out on them. Overall, separate school and home life as much as possible.

It's not the easiest thing, but I think I am a way better student because I'm a husband and father. Gives me a reason to care about useless information like Biochem and pillars of research.

Wow, that is some sound advice! It's re-assuring to know that there are people like you who are going through this and make it work. Thanks man, I really appreciate it!

And congrats on your second child!!

Reactions: 4 users