Manual Dexterity Before Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parham3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are people certain that they will have the necessary dexterity skills to be a dentist. Are shaky hands an indicator of a potentially poor dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

How are people certain that they will have the necessary dexterity skills to be a dentist. Are shaky hands an indicator of a potentially poor dentist?

Ouch, shaky handed dentists !

shaky hands because you had too much caffeine that morning?
shaky hands because you didn't eat enough sugar that day?

or....

shaky hands because you have a real medical condition?

Members don't see this ad :)
No one can guarantee it, but you practice in dental school. Hours and hours of practicing in lab and pre-clinic. But naturally, some will be better than others. Shaky hands? Not necessarily, you're not really going to be doing everything free handedly. You will learn to fulcrum and adjust. A friend of mine has a slight tremor in his right hand when he tries to hold it still, and he's currently in dental school and doing just fine after he learned to adapt.

The ring finger is the fulcrum. You will be quite steady when you fulcrum properly.
358_figure1.jpg

Or shaky hands from not being well trained and not know exactly what to do!

I have been doing small scale wood carving for the past 6 years as well as a few other things that I think that will be a big help. I don't know what to tell you about the shaky hands lol.

Lol, to the last sentence of the post above.

And just to go along with the thread, I actually am in a dental lab school.

doesn't everyone's hand shake when they try to hold something still without any support(well the hand is not shaking but the object you are holding is moving)? or even while holding a pencil over a paper with your hand/arm lifted, you will notice it moves alittle bit, no? and the longer you hold it, the more it will shake over time?

also the more you try to hold it still, the more it will shake. Relax and it will shake less.

I maybe over exaggerating about the hand shaking, i think the application process is getting to me lol.

soldering guitars.
Proud to say this, worded a little differently, is absolutely something I will put on my application in June. Soldering connections on pick-ups or effects pedals absolutely requires fine motor skills.

cross-stitch!
Not sure if this is in jest, but I will probably break traditional gender stereotypes and admit that I crochet hats, sweaters, scarves on my application, too.

Other ways you can practice your manual dexterity- learn stringed instruments (YouTube is an amazing resource), drawing, pottery, woodworking.

But honestly, if those hobbies don't interest you, don't take them up just for the sake of increasing your manual dexterity. Kittysquared explained it best, I suspect most people have the physical ability to stay steady when using proper techniques.

Nothing is going to help you for dental school dexterity aside from waxing teeth/practicing on typodonts. Some ppl will also be naturally "better" then you even with you waxing teeth/practicing on typodont teeth before dental school.

I would focus more on enjoying yourself/bettering yourself practically then manual dexterity. Everyone will get to a clinically acceptable point before clinic so there is no need to worry.

I don't think the op was asking about things people started to get prepared for dental school, just hobbies that they already had that might help. Some hobbies would definitely be a big help even if they are not tooth oriented.

I broke a finger on my right hand ( I am right-handed) and had to have pins put it. I got them removed and can't bend my finger at all even 2 weeks later...I'm starting to really freak out considering my future depends on this hand! I'm sure with practice you will do just fine though!

I don't think the op was asking about things people started to get prepared for dental school, just hobbies that they already had that might help. Some hobbies would definitely be a big help even if they are not tooth oriented.

Probably those that are artistically inclined have a somewhat easier time adjusting to tooth preps. I can't draw a stick figure worth my life....but I'm aight :D

Doing a Masters in underwater basket-weaving until matriculation.