Manual medicine texts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin3Ford

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing my doctorate in physical therapy and I'm interested in orthopedics with an emphasis on manual technique. I've heard that Philip Greenman has a high quality text in his book "Principles of Manual Medicine". What do you guys think?

Is this a good text that I should invest in or is there something better that I should look at?

Thanks for your help!

Kevin Ford, SPT, CSCS

Members don't see this ad.

Greenman's text is awesome. I'm a 2nd year osteopathic medical student and have looked at and studied many OMT textbooks and have found Greenman to be the best. It combines theory, pertinent anatomy, and many techniques for each body region. There are other books out there that are strong in one or two of these areas, but most don't address all three. To be very good at OMT, one needs to know the theory, the anatomy, and the techniques involved with each body region. DiGiovanna has a good book also, but I find Greenman easier to read and understand. There is a new edition of Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine published by the AOA this year which I hear is good, but I found the previous edition to be very "piece-meal" in its approach to OMT.

What do others of you think?