Many questions on becoming a doctor in Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linguisticdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I am considering becoming a doctor in European countries, considerably Germany, Czech, Croatia, and Ireland, and even the U.K. I have a few questions:
1. If I am already a certified doctor in the U.S. with my residency completed, what do I need to do to become a doctor? Like do I need to take a number of exams and a language exam (considering that I am in a non-English speaking country) or do I just have to complete a residency?
2. Are European medical school more expensive then average American medical schools? On AVERAGE, which is more expensive?
3. If I complete Medical School in the U.S., what do I need to do in order to become a licensed doctor in Europe?
4. Are American medical schools harder than most European medical schools?
5. Which countries offer courses in English (other than English-speaking countries of course)?
Thank you all for your answers!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

If you are already certified in US there is no point going back to the medschool in here. Just take the test of the local country to confirm your degree if yours is not automatically recognized and obtain a local license and you can start full time hospital work and from there the specialization.
I hope you know that the salaries here are not as high as in US, because here usually we don't have to repay mega-loans after graduation, but I suppose that you will have to take care of yours and that might not be so easy with local salaries.
Anyway just out of curiosity, what attracted you to Europe? Is it your personal preferences or some professional considerations or maybe both?