JoshUNCW

Comp Sci Geek
Nov 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Status
Pre-Medical
well...
i had tough time that made me get many Ws , even though they were
hardship withdrawals, it's too many.. additional to 2 Ws i already had....
now i got more than 6 Ws...cuz of illness....
i'm really worrying about this. and
my gpa isn't that good either.. (3.2)
haven't taken MCAT yet..
W's can be excused or ignored. A 3.2 GPA is much harder to ignore. So is a low MCAT. So, my advice would be to really worry about raising your GPA and prepping for the MCAT. Then after those two things have been achieved, the W's will look a lot less important.

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
W's can be excused or ignored. A 3.2 GPA is much harder to ignore. So is a low MCAT. So, my advice would be to really worry about raising your GPA and prepping for the MCAT. Then after those two things have been achieved, the W's will look a lot less important.
would 3 Ws be bad?

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
would 3 Ws be bad?

More than 1-2 may bring questions. 3+ is looking like a pattern. You need good reasons for them. Your GPA, etc., is also important in all of this. Patterns matter more than individual data points.

Jan 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
how many credits have you done? make sure this do not happen again if its only your first or second year.
check my post, 3 Ws over the entire college career can be explained, you need not worry too much.

would 3 Ws be bad?

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
how many credits have you done? make sure this do not happen again if its only your first or second year.
check my post, 3 Ws over the entire college career can be explained, you need not worry too much.
i only got 1, i was just hypothesizing. so 2 is the most i can do without raising any questions? see i like to W on a class if i see it failing hard lol.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
i only got 1, i was just hypothesizing. so 2 is the most i can do without raising any questions? see i like to W on a class if i see it failing hard lol.
That's exactly why adcoms take a dim view of Ws. Having 5 in a single semester is OK if you had a serious accident or something like that but 3 spread out to avoid bad grades looks chicken-hearted.

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
well...
i had tough time that made me get many Ws , even though they were
hardship withdrawals, it's too many.. seriously...many
i'm really worrying about this. and
my gpa isn't that good either.. (3.2)
haven't taken MCAT yet..
How many exactly? Were they all at once or have they been over your entire college career? But I agree with those above, raising your GPA and getting a good MCAT score should probably be what you worry about most at this point.

That's exactly why adcoms take a dim view of Ws. Having 5 in a single semester is OK if you had a serious accident or something like that but 3 spread out to avoid bad grades looks chicken-hearted.
I owned a chicken once when I lived on a farm. That thing took the crest off of a rooster. She takes offense to your stereotyping! :laugh: Sorry I went on a tangent because I miss her.

But seriously though, I wonder if it isn't a good idea just to take a C as opposed to a W. I mean when you get a W they can only assume the worst and a C for sure isn't as bad as it could get...

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
But seriously though, I wonder if it isn't a good idea just to take a C as opposed to a W. I mean when you get a W they can only assume the worst and a C for sure isn't as bad as it could get...
Take a C and retake the course (if that's allowed at your school) and get an A. Those combine to be two courses worth 3.0. If you take a W and then repeat and get the A you've got one course worth at 4.0. If you don't repeat the course you have no effect on gpa. If you take the C and don't retake you have one course at 2.0. Taking the C is much worse (in my mind) than the W. There can always be reasons why someone decides on a W (including that the course is not covering what you had hoped it would, not as challenging as you hoped it would be, conflicts with something important on your extracurricular schedule such as child care pick-up time).

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Take a C and retake the course (if that's allowed at your school) and get an A. Those combine to be two courses worth 3.0. If you take a W and then repeat and get the A you've got one course worth at 4.0. If you don't repeat the course you have no effect on gpa. If you take the C and don't retake you have one course at 2.0. Taking the C is much worse (in my mind) than the W. There can always be reasons why someone decides on a W (including that the course is not covering what you had hoped it would, not as challenging as you hoped it would be, conflicts with something important on your extracurricular schedule such as child care pick-up time).
Ohh I didn't know that!
I just assumed W=bad
thank you! :]

Jan 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
deleted//////

Last edited:

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
They're both bad.

It's like the circles of hell.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, and I do agree that 3 W + 1 C is better than 4 C's.

The Poet Sings

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Far from home :-)
Status
Medical Student
I owned a chicken once when I lived on a farm. That thing took the crest off of a rooster. She takes offense to your stereotyping! :laugh: Sorry I went on a tangent because I miss her.
:scared:

basementcat

5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
What about W's accumulated because of class shopping? My college had a very short add-drop period, and some semesters I intentionally overloaded on classes so that I could see which ones I was most interested in taking. I got a few W's doing this, but I always withdrew early in the semester, and my grades were never at stake. Would it be worth it to try to explain something like that in applications?

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, you really should explain and justify your scorched-earth method of college course selection...

How many are "a few W's"?

The Poet Sings

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Far from home :-)
Status
Medical Student